Alex
Years ago

VYCM five best players in each position???

lets go

Topic #32355 | Report this topic

Anon  
Years ago

1.Dejan vasiljevic
2.deng adel
3.mathew Jackson
4.Ben waldron
5.Jock landale

Reply #431549 | Report this post

1. Kyle Adnam/Dejan Vasilijevic
2. Deng Adel/Ben Waterhouse
3. Matt Jackson/Kuany Kuany
4. Ben Waldren/Jordan Lipinski
5. Stefan Ionescu/Kayne Ewin

Reply #431660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1. Nick Dean (DV)/Kyle Adnam (Kilsyth)
2. Kuany Kuany (plays the 1 but a natural 2)(Waverley)/Ben Waterhouse(Knox)
3. Matt Jackson (DV)/Deng Adel (Waverley)
4. Jack Purchase (Melbourne)/Ben Waldron (Hawthorn)
5. Jock Landale (Geelong)/Ryan Oirbans (Melbourne)

Reply #431661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dejan good young kid but a No. 2 not a PG. Throws up 19 2's and 10 3's for no assists in 30 minutes at Nations recently, you gotta say he is a shoot first guard.

Reply #431921 | Report this post

Alpha  
Years ago

A good one :)
He can play a point as he showed it at the Nationals, but a very efficient scorer - so what would one do - ask him to score or to distribute :)

Adnam/Dean (the GF tells it all)
Kuany/Vasiljevic (Waterhouse was an option but gave advantage to Vasiljevic due to consistency. Also Vasiljevic could play a PG if needed)
Adel/Jackson (not much to say about these two)
Waldron/Purchase (Jack was not at his best this season but I was not really impressed by anyone but Waldron in this position)
Mccarthy/Ewin (while everyone was talking about Adel and Kuany, Matt was doing his job in the background, very good and very young player, watched him play a few times and every time he delivered. Ewin was a workhorse).

Plenty of talent, height and shooting power. Hope they all come back healthy and ready to play next season.

Reply #432004 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Hypothetical, what would be the better option for a young big who has the option of playing youth league or Big V for a year or so before heading to college in the US?

Would youth league Champs be better, or would it be more beneficial for his development to play against older men in the Big V, either Div 1 or Champs?

Let's say the big is 16 years old, 6' 8" tall and can play the 4 or 5 spot...

Reply #432014 | Report this post

Alpha  
Years ago

Ideally the higher the better. The problem is that many coaches really do not care about development of these kids, just the final outcome - winning, so any young big may end up as a benchwarmer most of the games.

IMO AIS should get involved again in a competition to give a chance to the scholarship holders to gain game experience. Going to tournaments once/twice a year doesn't mean much in terms of development. Basketball is one of those sports in which the more one plays the better one gets, certainly at an appropriate level.

I have spoken with some of our kids who went to the Adidas Nations. They all thought they were technically better than many other teams but were outmuscled. Heard the same from J. Ostwald, Felix and Dane after the Worlds. Guess we need a program to make our young guns faster and stronger (btw with no supplements)

BTW in addition to Anon post above, a bit of mistake there - Vasiljevic had 9/19 from the field - 5/9 for 2 (55%) and 4/10 for 3s (40%), out of his 22 he scored 20 points in the second half. Bloody good effort considering that the rest of the team had 3/17 for 3s (17%)and 13/41 (31%) for 2s. Obviously he did not mind having a go and the YL experience paid off.

Reply #432033 | Report this post

bethdavis10  
Years ago

What are the latest NCAA about playing with/against professional (paid) players? If the 16 year old was playing in Big V Champ alongside imports, would that restrict his eligibility?

Reply #432034 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Thanks Alpha, I got a similar feedback and the AIS coaches are onto it I believe, very much a focus on improving the physical side of the kids as well as continued skill development.

Harder for those only attending camps though...

I think the big thing to note here is the US kids in particular have facilities and a culture at High School very different from us here.

These US kids (The Elite) can spend lunch hour in a gym and work out on their physiques where our kids would be lucky if their school had a decent gym with weights...

So, generally speaking, our kids are left to find time outside of school hours and fit in the extra work load (unless sponsored costs time and money of course).

Other thing is the culture, the US kids in particular have a habit of training every day and their pathway is usualy into college as a norm, not an exception.

At Nations this time around I think we were also the youngets team there, so next year we may be a tougher proposition.

Reply #432036 | Report this post

daneo  
Years ago

Dont think so Beth, else Ben Simmons would be in a whole lot of trouble!

Reply #432037 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Yeah, I believe it is not so much playing in a competition like Big V or even SEABL, it is about being paid any money to do so.

A young kid can be a 'development player' and play in SEABL for example, then still go to NCAA college without any trouble, at least this is what I have been told is currently in place...

Reply #432040 | Report this post

bethdavis10  
Years ago

Oh ok. I wasn't sure. The rules change all the time, I know a few years ago there was a lot of talk about not playing SEABL/Big V because of those implications.

Reply #432047 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Yep rules have changed Beth, so long as the player himself isnt getting paid its ok.

Reply #432095 | Report this post

Connor  
Years ago

From a players perspective (and opinion), in no particular order.

PG- Kyle Adnam, Trent Lee, Dejan Vasilijevic, Nick Dean, Kuany Kuany.

SG- Deng Adel, Ben Waterhouse, Lewis Varley, Michael Dow, Jackson Brazier

SF- Matt Jackson, Corey Jeffs, Daniel Steen, Dylan Hare, Ben Gaze

PF- Ben Waldren, Simon Grant, Jack Purchase, John Creighton, Matt McCarthy

C- Kayne Ewin, Stefan Ionescu, Mark Berezdecky, Nathan Lemke, Julian Lipinski

It depends if you want to include Mitch Riggs, Zac Haigh, Ash Constable, Jamie Batish etc (players who werent regulars)

Reply #432146 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

pg - adnam/dean
sg - adel/waterhouse
sf - jackson/purchase
pf - waldren/grant
c - berezdecky/mccarthy

Reply #432156 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

pg - adnam/dean
sg - adel/waterhouse
sf - jackson/purchase
pf - waldren/grant
c - berezdecky/mccarthy

Reply #432157 | Report this post

bubby  
Years ago

1.Dejan
2.Dejan
3.Dejan
4.Dejan
5.Dejan

Reply #432239 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Dejan hasn't proven himself defensively, at all.

Reply #432599 | Report this post

Alpha  
Years ago

I'd say plenty of time in front of him to prove himself defensively...

Seems like YL Coaches agreed with many of the names posted:

VICTORIAN YOUTH CHAMPIONSHIP MEN

Allstar Guards

Kyle Adnam (Kilsyth)
Ben Waterhouse (Knox)
Dejan Vasiljevic (Melbourne)
Deng Adel (Waverley)
Kuany Kuany (Waverley)

Allstar Forwards

Matthew Jackson (Diamond Valley)
Nathan Lemke (Geelong)
Benjamin Waldren (Hawthorn)
Corey Jeffs (Kilsyth)
Simon Grant (Knox)

http://www.bigv.com.au/index.php?id=755&tx_ttnews[year]=2013&tx_ttnews[month]=08&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=3612&cHash=d237ab2becd8e3dcf0a07065567fcbe7

Reply #433373 | Report this post

Alpha  
Years ago

Allstar Centres

Reece McKenzie (Bulleen)
Jock Landale (Geelong)
Arjen Smit (Kilsyth)

Reply #433374 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

@Alpha, Lemke played at Centre, rotating with Landale and Hedlam for the most part...

Reply #433388 | Report this post

hogwash61  
Years ago

Anon & Alpha not sure where some of you get your stats from? There is no doubt Dejan has ability, but is it overstated?

Presumably you are talking about this year's U18 Nationals? Stats are available on line, but Dejan did not throw up 19 shots in any of the games. Closest he got was 15 shots in the S/F for 5/15 FG 33.3%, 3/4 2's 75%, 2/11 3's 18.2%.

Stats for the whole U18 Vic Metro team for the Champs:

Name FG 3's
Dejan Vasiljevic28/79 35.4% 10/40 25%
Joel Smith 23/65 35.4% 5/18 27.8%
Geremy Mckay 28/56 50% 1/1 100%
Marek Toman 29/61 47.5% 0/0 0%
Thomas Wilson 23/61 37.7% 4/13 30.8%
Abi Akintola 22/34 64.7% 0/0 0%
Michael Wearne 11/22 50% 4/11 36.4%
Jock Perry 16/37 43.2% 0/0 0%
Fraser Pearce 10/39 25.6% 5/25 20%
Lachlan Anthony 9/37 24.3% 4/16 25%

As for the shooting % of 2's, this can be misleading as to where/how are they scored, Lay-up, Fast break, Power Lay-up, put back, tip in, etc as opposed to mid range, shot of the dribble, shot just inside the arc, etc. However the 3's are a different story. But my observation of the stats above would be that Dejan likes to shoot it and is allowed to shoot it. Problem is it looks like there are at least 3 kids in that team that were better 3 point shooters & 6 of them had better FG%. So why is Dejan allowed (dare I say encouraged) to put up so many shots compared to the others? That is the question.

The stats from the U16 nationals 2012 show a similar theme:

Name FG 3's
Abi Akintola 32/57 56.1% 0/0 0%
Anthony Karabatsos 20/36 55.6% 1/8 12.5%
Blake Allison 25/42 59.5% 0/1 0%
Dejan Vasiljevic 30/78 38.5% 7/35 20%
Harley Balic 25/50 50% 2/5 40%
Jacob Elordi 14/32 43.8% 0/0 0%
Jock Perry 22/51 43.1% 0/2 0%
Matthew Owies 29/63 46% 1/8 12.5%
Sebastiano Lamonato 20/46 43.5% 0/0 0%
Thomas Wilson 30/67 44.8% 2/6 33.3%

Looks like Dejan liked to shoot it and was allowed to shoot it then as well. Again, there were kids with better 3 Point % and the WHOLE team had a better FG%?

Looks like this is the case in VYCM?

Kind of raises some questions, doesn't it?

Reply #437355 | Report this post

Alpha  
Years ago

Hogwash, if you read my post carefully you would notice I was referring to his performance at Adidas Nations.

Since I watched him several times on different occasions I don't see a point in your post because the stats can be deceptive. You obviously did not see him play in the finals at U16 Nationals (check the stats) or against Tasmania in U18 Nationals when he turned the game around in the last 30 sec, or when he hit some key shots in the finals at U18 Nationals. He is allowed to shoot because obviously he can make it happen. He would likely have a better percentage if he was not forced to make some bad shots in the last few seconds on the shot clock, but I guess he can only get better.

There was a discussion here re selection of some players in the state and national teams, especially when it came to kids who were presumably good scorers. There is a huge difference between those who score hips against a weaker opposition and then when play against stronger sides under perform, and those that deliver when it matters. There are a few kids I would always have on my team including Dejan, Wilson, Will White and Clarke because they can play big games.

Anyway Dejan picked the Rookie of the Year award last night. I guess Big V did not like his stats either.

Reply #437368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@hogwash61 we are sure you haven't overlooked on purpose the fact that plenty of talent from the country areas of Victoria also play at Nationals and the VYC have you> Very Metro-centric of you in your examples ^^.

Reply #437391 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Dejan is the G.O.A.T for the generation

Reply #437417 | Report this post

hogwash61  
Years ago

Anon you are seriously kidding "Dejan is G.O.A.T. for the generation"? Will White clearly is. Check the FIBA Stats of last year and remember he is a bottom ager.

Alpha, my apologies anon did mention nations. I took it as being an abbreviation for nationals.

Agree with your comments on Will White (he is pure class) and Wilson, jury is still out for me on Clarke. He would seem to freeze on the bigger stage. I hear he didn't do so well in China or Nations. Goes well when he is the main player and has a coach running plays for him, same as Dejan does.

Agree with Anon, Dejan's a shooter not a PG, more interested in scoring than dishing.

However, congrats to Dejan for winning rookie of the year. Well done, very good performance.

Didn't need to see him in the U16 nationals. As you said, stats are there on line and can be misleading. But I did notice that during the first 6 rounds & the semi final Dejan was 7/35 from beyond the arc, as you say against weaker opposition? Had a lucky game in the final and dropped 5 from 8. Have it on good authority that Queensland South did their scouting and weren't concerned about his 3 point shooting as he hardly set the world on fire in the previous 7 games, so they left him open. Queensland South were more concerned about shutting down others in the final. Obviously they made a mistake.

Stand by my comments though. Why is he given the licence, when clearly others are better shooters? And I'd suggest, deep down you know that and know the reasons why.

You were at the U18 Nationals, so presumably you are either in the Vic coaching squad or close to it or to him. That would explain your bias.

I have seen a video of the U18 Nationals Final and whilst Dejan did well to score as he did he almost cost Vic Metro the Final with his turnovers, especially in the closing minutes and his unspectacular 3 point shooting 1/5. Again, hardly setting the world on fire in a big game. Big game player, I don't think so, not yet anyway. U16 VC Final, I'm told he played nearly the whole game, came off injured in the last 2 or 3 minutes, how many points, 4 I think. U18 VC Final, I'm told it was not one of his better games. Big game player? Please, think again.

Reply #437543 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A very high level coach with great knowledge of the game said once, 'As a player, make your team mates the best player on the court and you will gain the respect of everyone while being the most valuable of players yourself.'

I guess that is like the old saying 'There is no I in TEAM, son' while the response comes back as 'Yeah, coach but there is in WIN'.

This post asks a question like most basketball related posts on who is the best and it always comes down to individual stats.

If you get 90% or more court time and you get your hands on the ball for most of the time and you shoot it lots you will eventually rack up stats. Doesn't always mean you are the most valuable or best player on the team, maybe the most selfish though.

Reply #437560 | Report this post

Alpha  
Years ago

Well I guess the time will tell - the kid has a great potential and it is up to him to keep working hard.

And yes we coaches love him for his great die hard attitude during training sessions and he is a bloody good shooter. Maybe that was why Gaze ran plays for him in YLCM and he gave him a license to shoot, which does not much happen in VC.

What he needs to do is to start playing PG more and more. He has good handles and good vision so could distribute the ball more and as anon said make his players better. As I said the time will tell.

Reply #437568 | Report this post

Alpha  
Years ago

@Hogwash

http://www.basketball.net.au/index.php?id=302&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=3073&cHash=527617ab68

He did score 29, 13 of them playing as a PG.

Big time player? I guess he just got lucky.

Why he is allowed to shoot and Tigers run plays for him? The answer might be in this series:

PPG 19.3
RPG 3.7
ORPG 2
DRPG 1.7
ASPG 1
FG2P% 68.8%
FG3P% 47.1%
FT% 85.7%

Reply #441460 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Vasiljevic is nba bound

Reply #441497 | Report this post

Marksh  
Years ago

Kyle Adnam got the MVP, and now playing in the NBL with the Adelaide 36ers behind boomer Adam Gibson and ex NBA Gary Ervin. hes a true class above most if not all kids his age and experience. He has potenital to be a national guard if he gets his body right. Most exciting young player to watch hands down

Reply #448064 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:07 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754