Rasheed30
Years ago

Brett Brown gets four-year deal to coach 76ers

Yahoo Sports reporting that the two parties working out contract now.

Topic #32368 | Report this topic

KET  
Years ago

Marc Stein -

Word in coaching circles is some Brett Brown associates urging him not to take Philly job in part because Year 1 is guaranteed 60+ losses

Reply #431676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not official yet. Watch those thread titles.

Reply #431688 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Imagine a world where new age coaches held their head coaching position for extended periods.

Reply #431692 | Report this post

NBAfan  
Years ago

I wonder if he takes the job, with his links to Australia and the boomers in recent years, is will he or who will he try and get on the team at the 76's.

Some Aussie's on the cheap who are maybe more unknown to most in the states but can play well. Mills for instance is going to probably get even less time next season for the Spurs.

Maybe a Bynam , Dave Andersen rotation could be a go-er?

Reply #431779 | Report this post

Jackie C  
Years ago

NBAfan you do realise Bynum is at Cleveland, right?

Reply #431799 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

From ESPN:

Brown will sign a four-year contract to coach the Sixers, according to SI.com, which reported the agreement earlier.

New general manager Sam Hinkie took quite a while looking for a replacement before choosing Brown, who was part of three NBA title teams with San Antonio. The 52-year-old Brown was an assistant under Gregg Popovich since 2002. He also coached the Australian men's national team from 2009-12, and played a key role in helping Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker develop into All-Stars with the Spurs.

Reply #432045 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Good news for Delly, maybe Ingles and Andersen

Reply #432060 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

So if you are Coach Brown, what are your first moves for this team. Would snapping up key free agent aussie players be of interest.

For me, snapping up delly before the Cavs would be a interesting coup.

Reply #432074 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Philly to trade for Patty Mills?

Reply #432076 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Philly are looking good...to win 20 games strong chance of a high 2014 draft pick and a shot at Wiggins,parker,Randle,smart or exum?

Reply #432088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't know why people just assume that Brown's going to look at Australian players. Hinkie is the guy that makes all the moves.

Reply #432096 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't know why people just assume that Brown's going to look at Australian players.
We saw a couple of Australians with the Spurs last year. Had to have had some influence.

Reply #432110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Assistant coach with the spurs and he had a roster with baynes and patty and he was looking to get delly. now a head coach so could be even better days...

Reply #432123 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

exciting times!

Reply #432125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think Brown will immediate go after the Aussie's just because of the connection, however looking at their list a PG is in need. Only issue for Delly is that Michael Carter-Williams is also a rookie and I would imagine they would want to get a veteran to support him.

My take on the current roster is:

PG - Michael Carter-Williams / none
SG - Jason Richardson / James Anderson / Justin Holiday
SF - Evan Turner / Damien Wilkins
PF - Thaddeus Young / Lavoy Allen
C - Spender Hawes / Nerlens Noel / Kwame Brown

That said, if they are trying for Andrew Wiggins and trying to lose they may as well sign half the boomers, 2 more rookie PG's and watch a turn over fest with no D.

Reply #432160 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It will be interesting to see if he can sell the 76ers on the Spurs' model of bringing in smart international players to fill roles.

Reply #432161 | Report this post

Japorms  
Years ago

i will not be surprised if he will take a boomer for his new team. he's the reason why some aussies played for the spurs. the guy quietly helping

Reply #432184 | Report this post

daneo  
Years ago

He wants to win games not lose games. Bringing in aussies is not going to do that anytime soon unless exum continues is rapid development. Bogut no longer commands special attention, mills and baynes are just role players off the bench.

Reply #432192 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Philly want to tank for a good draft pick daneo, Brown will have to do that for the long term prosperity of the team, I think Philly would be pissed off if they do decently and suffer in the long term as a result

Reply #432194 | Report this post

daneo  
Years ago

Even if management has it in their head theres no way the coach would accept tanking from the start of the season. Do you think the players would want to tank so they have a new team mate?

Reply #432197 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Tanking these days is "trying" with a craptacular team. They aren't going to bring in guys who are decent enough to ruin a good draft pick.

They traded away Jrue Holiday, their intentions are clear as day. Nothing wrong with it, imo it's the best move, they can try an OKC.

Reply #432200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brown gets a 4 year guaranteed contract....no matter how many seasons he coaches he'll walk away with a cool $8 million.

good for him

Reply #432355 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

10 mill anon!!

2.5 per year - go brett!!

Reply #432409 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:41 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754