WestCoastWildcat
Years ago

Wildcats sign Miami draft-pick James Ennis

he Perth Wildcats have signed exciting 2013 second round NBA Draft pick James Ennis as an import on their roster for the upcoming NBL season.

The Atlanta Hawks selected Ennis as the 50th pick in June's NBA Draft, before immediately trading him to back-to-back NBA Champions the Miami Heat.

More here - http://www.wildcats.com.au/article/id/m0qd61pum88n1idg8d8jy034l

Topic #32370 | Report this topic

WestCoastWildcat  
Years ago

After checking out his videos....I got juuust a little ridged.

Lets just say I'm excited!!!

Go Cats!!

Reply #431681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

reading his draft express profile it sounds as though he only started playing basketball at the end of high school.Very athletic player who still needs to work on his jump shot but at least now we may see some dunks at the arena.
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/James-Ennis-41434/

Reply #431682 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

Well, he isn't an nba swing man? He is an nbl swing man.

Reply #431683 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Okay, Perth are definitely making the playoffs.

Reply #431684 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

As if they weren't going to...

Reply #431685 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

watched him in summer league this guy is legit, wonder if cedric jackson got in his hear about playing in aus while they were in orlando....

Reply #431686 | Report this post

WestCoastWildcat  
Years ago

Biometric stats page - http://www.nba.com/draft/2013/prospects/james-ennis/

Reply #431687 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Situation, I personally didn't think they would, thought Melbourne would get fourth. But this guy is incredible. Don't be surprised if this is Perth's only import though.

Reply #431689 | Report this post

#45 hoops  
Years ago

i don't go for perth, but i have to say this is awesome! Perth will win this year, and it's great to see a nba player in the league!

Reply #431690 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jx0rDxRvejc

Reply #431691 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

This wont be Perth's only import, theyve saved 10 points for a guard and Im pretty sure theyre going to use them. Could Adris Deleon be the 1-2 showman they are looking for?

Very interesting to see guys like Clarke and Ennis signing, I thought the dropping Aussie dollar might stop the recent spate of gun imports, but so far so good this year.

Reply #431696 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great for the NBL, horrid for all f us NBL fans that hate the Cats and there odd feral like fan base.

Reply #431698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The interesting thing about this is that it means that the Miami Heat will be having a close eye on the Wildcats and the NBL in general.

Reply #431699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Be a good plan for the other NBA teams to send their dev players out here while there is no room in their Salary cap, they would be making more money here than in the D League and play a different style of play

Reply #431701 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Deleon or Hurdle I would be happy with either for second import spot

Reply #431702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Deleon makes much more sense given Martin's Achilles injury.

Reply #431703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They probably need the second import to be a reliable shooter. Martin, Ennis, Redhage and Knight isn't exactly going to fill it up from distance.

Reply #431704 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Redhage shot 39% last season, Ennis 36% and Wagstaff 34%, so they will spread the floor, as will Knight's mid-range game, so while the 1-2 needs to be able to shoot I dont think he has to be a knockdown guy.

Deleon's streaky 33% might be enough given his ability to also hit pull-ups and get all the way to the rim.

Under Beveridge Perth's weakness was always at SF, but assuming their second import is good they have all the bases covered, albeit with less depth.

Reply #431709 | Report this post

Rav  
Years ago

WOW, what a awesome signing for the NBL League.
Looking at his College stats, he will be the best SF in the league next year.
16pts, 6.7rbs, 2.1ast, 1.3blks, 1.8stls + shooting 49% from the floor.
As a Cairns fan, I wish we had signed this guy.

Reply #431711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As an NZ Breakers fan: Shit

Reply #431712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcats are signing Hurdle as well.Thats the rumor. They are stocking up on scoring power. very, very, very impressive offseason. Lost Lisch and got Ennis and most likely Hurdle in return.They had the best defense last season and now will be deadly on offense..

I doubt even the Breakers with Jackson back could take this Cats team

Reply #431721 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

How's this for a potential wildcats roster?

Martin/Burdon
Deleon/Muo
Ennis/Hire
Redhage/Wagstaff
Knight/Jervis

Could run with Deleon as bench spark plus a few players can play multi positions. Not as deep as previous years but a safe bet for playoffs.

Reply #431722 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

This signing makes a lot of sense for Perth. I'm already prepared for the eventuality of him leaving part way through the season, but I think the club signed him as much for the recognition factor as his ability to help us in the playoffs.

He will hopefully add some Dunigan-sized excitement and publicity for the Cats, which will be important for getting a good number of memberships sold and some buzz around the city to start off the season.

Reply #431723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Our depth might not be great, but Wagstaff and Hire are good enough to start and who knows how good Muo will be. He did average >10PPG at a Division 1 school

Reply #431724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This guy is miles ahead of Dunigan as a player.

Reply #431733 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

News on NBL TV Deal
http://www.watoday.com.au/sport/basketball/push-to-save-nbls-network-deal-20130809-2rn5j.html

Reply #431738 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Great pick up for Perth!

Reply #431740 | Report this post

Nike Al  
Years ago

Really exciting for the cats can't wait to see who else they sign. Also has Tom Jervis been confirmed if so that another great signing

Reply #431741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jervis will sign but it's not official. The Cats are talking to Hurdle and another combo guard who played overseas LAST SEASON.

Reply #431755 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow great signing, if he settles in and comes with the right attitude i predict him to be a MVP candidate and make Perth much more exciting than in previous seasons!

Good to see a potentially top notch import swingman signed in the NBL, havnt been too many the last few seasons, since guys like Darden, Smith, Ere left the NBL.

Always thought Gleeson did well with imports, looks to have got another good one.

Cant wait for the season to start!!

Some good talent coming to the league in Dennis, Ennis, Clarke, Ogilvy and Ervin sticking around, hopefully that offsets/makes up for the loss of guys like Lisch and Jackson to the NBL, i think so far its potentially been an overall upgrade of guys coming in vs guys leaving the NBL.

Reply #431757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not happy about the "out clause" if miami want him back mid season. Its a huge risk. Team is a little small but a quality swing man is exactly what they've needed for a while now.

Reply #431758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great pick from Trevor Gleeson, on the way to a championship!

Reply #431759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How often do NBA teams send a draft pick overseas, only to make them return mid season? Don't remember it happening too often, they usually make them play overseas at least a full season.

Reply #431760 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Ayinde Ubaka? Would be a good fit, knows Gleeson's system.

Reply #431762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great signing! However, people are jumping the gun saying that this instantly makes Perth the team to beat I think. (Not saying that they won't be).

Reply #431764 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

What is the time frame expected for Martin to return from his injury?

Reply #431767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hello everyone,
Get ready for at least a small spike in interest in the Wildcats from Heat fans myself included. James Ennis had a great senior year and gathered a bit of attention and when he was drafted by the Heat and played well in the summer league everybody loved the guy. The Heat don't have a spot for him in the rotation as of now but the fans can't wait to see him in the future.

Reply #431771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In-Dennis, Ennis, Clarke, Ogilvy, Worthington, Markovic

Out-C. Jackson, Flynn, Lisch, Nevill, Deleon?, Crosswhite, S. Scott

I think the nays have it.

Reply #431772 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

I think the league has lost great players and if we don't think of them until 2014 then the league will be an Upgrade... Bring on our new season

Reply #431775 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Massive hype and incorrect titling around a guy that's never played an NBA game. Johnny Flynn and Patty Mills are more NBA than this guy and they didnt exactly dominate the league.

Not saying he isnt a great player but lets see how he plays in a defensive minded league first before saying Perth are title favourites.

Perth, with their weak bench are only 1 serious injury away from being mediocre so will need to rely on staying healthy.

Reply #431858 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It is hype, but it's ok to get excited about a player who's exciting!

For me, Mills and Flynn are different cases because the guards in the NBL are probably better than any league bar the big two, so it was always going to be hard to really stand out.

As far as speed and skill go the NBL is genuinely world class, where it falls short is genuine athletes, we've only ever had a handful. That's where a guy like this, with plenty of talent around him, could have a big impact.

There's a lot of good young Aussie/NZ wingmen coming through, I'm really looking forward to seeing who can step up against Ennis.

Reply #431861 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Tom Jervis signing just confirmed. They put together an SBL highlights video for him that isn't that bad.

Reply #431866 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It's pretty impressive, even taking into account the level. He is certainly a very skilful big man with touch from 3. It's just a matter of can he still do some of those things against guys his own size, and whether he can defend the on-ball.

Reply #431867 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Can't wait to see the Cats take to the Court this year - looking much more high-octane, even if the trade-off is a bit less effectiveness.

Would be a nice change to get non-Wildcats people wanting rather than dreading to see our games, after all.

Reply #431870 | Report this post

Silencer83  
Years ago

anon 767 - he is already back in training. http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/basketball/18461854/gleeson-homes-in-on-instant-success-with-wildcats/

Reply #431896 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Re: Hurdle to the Wildcats

He hasn't signed or been offered a contract by the Wildcats. He's still waiting out Wollongong who won't make a decision for another 1-2 weeks.

Reply #431901 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

"Massive hype and incorrect titling"

Why, because he was selected by the Hawks? Wow, you've really put him back in his place!

Reply #431903 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

As paul said, yes there is hype but it is justified. Early predictions may not turn out to be accurate but also stating a team is an injury away from being mediocre is something you can say about any team.

Reply #431904 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

That's debatable. Some teams are already mediocre.

Reply #431912 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Perth, with their weak bench are only 1 serious injury away from being mediocre so will need to rely on staying healthy.
Probably only at PG right now?

Reply #431925 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Question marks at centre and point guard, but I imagine the second import will cover back-up PG as well, just leaving Knight to stay fit to cover all holes.

Reply #431926 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Perth is just 1 injury away from being mediocre then the Kings would have to be 1 away from abysmal.

Reply #431927 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The Kings have already got one injury to start the season!

Reply #431929 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

And we play them twice in the first three rounds (bwahaha, cue Imperial March)

Reply #431939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/basketball/18461854/gleeson-homes-in-on-instant-success-with-wildcats/

"Gleeson homes in on instant success with Wildcats"

Wow facepalm at "homes in"? Shayne Hope is embarrassing. Thankfully we have Boti even though he is SA based.

Reply #431941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@431941 yeh pretty sure "homes in" is correct, as in moving toward or being guided to a goal/target, like a "homing" missile. Am guessing you think he should be saying "hone in" right?

It's always nice when you're attempting to mock someone else to make sure you aren't in fact mocking yourself.

Reply #431942 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I think he just pulled a Homer.

Reply #431943 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

I don't think anyone would be overly surprised at Gleeson having (or being given) ambitions to the title. Between the inherited squad and the new additions, he has the tools to have a crack at it.

Reply #431947 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Journos dont do the headlines, that's generally the sub-editor.

Reply #431948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting. Looks like it can be either or http://www.word-detective.com/2010/03/home-in-hone-in/

apologies to the sub-editor!

The trophy is the target so you are honing in on it?

Ok so the journalist only spelt his name wrong :P

Reply #431965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

er homing

Reply #431966 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

The Situation....incorrect titling as him being an NBA player without even having played an NBA game. He is no more NBA than Brad Newley.

Yes, alot of teams are only 1 injury away from being mediocre but some teams have better coverage off their bench to cover those injuries better than Perth do. I'm not having a go, just saying their title hopes rely heavily on health and we all know Knights history and there is still the question mark over Martins recovery...

Reply #432021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't see this posted elsewhere 6 figure guaranteed salary seems a bit odd

He has an opt-out clause that would allow him to leave the Wildcats for the NBA during the season and still get his full Australian salary

Reply #432027 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:36 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754