Anonymous
Years ago

Refugees escaping war are aiming for the stars

This is a great article, make sure you read it...

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/basketball/refugees-escaping-war-are-aiming-for-the-stars-20130810-2rovx.html

Whatever you make of it, there is a genuine chance to make peoples life better and change and improve basketball in this country, over to you BA, please

Topic #32374 | Report this topic

El Diablo  
Years ago

I have no problem with them playing for Australia BUT ONLY IF....

They think of themselves as Australian.

Its hard to call someone who comes to Australia at say 7 lives here till they are 14 them moves to the US for high school and college and seldom comes back to Australia as Australian

An Australian accent is also preferable, not some aussie/american combo

Reply #431794 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

El Diablo, why not just say they must be white?

Reply #431795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

they cant be Spanish either El Diablo lol

Reply #431796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great piece. Pretty rare to read such a deep, well-thought out piece about basketball in a mainstream paper, although it obviously covers broader issues as well.

Also worth noting however is Thon Maker's pretty strong response to the article on twitter

Reply #431800 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I did see his response but couldn't quite understand it. Was he telling Stacker to piss off?

Reply #431801 | Report this post

El Diablo  
Years ago

@the situation.

Your missing my point, it seems that your instinct to think something racist speaks more about you than me.

I don't care what colour their skin as long as THEY think of themselves as Australian.

It's not whether I THINK of them as being Australian.

It would be the same as Kyrie playing for Australia, he thinks of himself as American, where as Leroy Loggins thought of himself as Australian.

Reply #431817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about the Aussies that go to college for a year and pick up an American accent? Should they be deported?

Reply #431824 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

It's pretty hard to think of yourself as Australian when you've got bogans telling you that you're not a real Australian every time you leave the house.

Reply #431838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Also worth noting however is Thon Maker's pretty strong response to the article on twitter"

its not on his official twitter account now, what was written/published.

Reply #431840 | Report this post

daneo  
Years ago

Yeah there are couple "official" twitter feeds from him. There is one which has his responses, he pretty much just said that he was proud to wear the green and gold but not so much now after this article. Accused chagai and stacker of being jealous and alot of the information in the article incorrect.

Reply #431857 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

Ct's comment wins.

Reply #431881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

''Australian junior basketball is beleaguered by politics and a Mom and Pop approach. The complexion of a rep program, elite training program, or State team will hardly change from under 12s to under 18s. The same kids are promoted time and time and again. I feel that there is so much untapped talent in Australia.''

True that.

Reply #431953 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:47 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754