Isaac
Years ago

Hawks vs Gaels pre-season game

St Mary's got up 72-69 in Bomaderry after the Hawks led for the first three quarters.

Wollongong started Delaney, D Cooks, Coenraad, Forman and Davidson. Minutes off the bench went to (in order of time descending) Gruber, Logan (?), Jackson and Harris-Tunks (college centre). Luke Jamieson (?) and Xavier Cooks were DNPs. I know the Cooks boys (sons of the assistant coach) have some potential, but don't know much about the others. Harris-Tunks is the only one I've heard of. Hawks were without Clarke, a second import, R Martin, a back-up big, Demos and another back-up local. Davidson played only 14 minutes while Gruber had 18 points to lead Wollongong, Coenraad 14 and Forman 11.

Dumovic has trained with the Hawks recently, but didn't play. Ruled out of that back-up spot?

Stephen Holt had 26 for St Mary's, James Walker 16. The Gaels won the boards 40-21.

Boxscore is here though it's not too legible.

Anyone get to the game? Are the Cooks boys a chance at that back-up guard spot or likely to be development players for a year yet?

Topic #32390 | Report this topic

paul  
Years ago

Looks like Gruber, Forman, Coenraad, D Cooks (5a & 4to) and Delaney played almost the whole game.

Harris Tunks had 9 minutes for 4p & 4r. He could be a chance for the last spot, but he's a project and didnt get a lot of minutes to prove himself even with Davidson sitting.

Davidson/Harris-Tunks
Forman/Gruber
Import/Coenraad
Clarke/Demos
Martin/D Cooks

It could work if the import can swing between SG and SF.

Reply #432049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aside from one very obvious reason I can't understand why they'd go with Dom Cooks over somebody like Jarrad Weeks. Their Waratah stats say it all:

Cooks:
http://www.sportingpulse.com/team_info.cgi?action=PSTATS&pID=188576347&client=1-4878-68288-250074-18588832

Weeks:
http://www.sportingpulse.com/team_info.cgi?action=PSTATS&pID=189171761&client=1-4878-68300-250074-18588839

Reply #432050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Steve Holt!

Reply #432053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the ? mark player are all hawks juniors now in the waratah program. .. none pf which I'd rate as nbl players

Reply #432055 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and in answer to above. ..

geordie likes to keep it local and loyal hence why jarrod weeks will not be a dev player for hawks

Reply #432056 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Box score is hard to read, never the less shows that Holt and Walker for St Mary's almost played 90% of the whole game between them.

Would like to think if they get that much court time and ball that they will see plenty of opportunity to score...

Waldow got good minutes too, but may have been off his game a bit, either that or well held.

Nice to see first year player and Aussie Dane Pineau getting 5+ minutes in front of his family and friends!

Reply #432057 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Matt Hodgson also back on court, had 5r and 2b in 16mins.

Reply #432059 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Good win for SMC - especially to come from behind.

Reply #432066 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they couldn't beat a backcourt of Delaney and Cooks they should hang their heads in shame!

Reply #432067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^ Very true #432067. Most Waratah teams have no trouble handling that backcourt.

Reply #432072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is that right Zac Delaney 3pts & 2ast on 1/4 shooting in 29 mins?

Reply #432075 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't think Wollongong would be too concerned about the result given the guards they suited. Not much excuse for the rebound count though?

Reply #432106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Xavier Cooks was a PG last season but grew 8 inches and is now 6'7. Only 17 y.o, recently made the starting 5 in the ABL, unfortunate not to get an opportunity to train with the Emus team.

Dom Cooks recently completed college and was an Academic All American at Hawaii. Solid PG with good size, good defender, not as efficient as his brother offensively but gets team into offense well.

FYI, his Dad Eric played at St Mary's in the 80's

Reply #432107 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Isaac, I'd love to see the rebound count when Davidson went off. Did this breakdown for a preview last year:

"In the nine games before Davidson's injury the Hawks had pulled in a total of just six less offensive rebounds than their opponents and 10 less boards overall. In the following five games those deficits were -43 and -85."

Wollongong have to sign a small forward who can rebound to replace Saville, and they need a genuine back-up centre who can at the least box someone out when Davidson is off.

If they cover the boards they are a legitimate threat to the top two.

Reply #432117 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Can anyone elaborate on how Harris-Tunks went? Some nice production in limited minutes, especially if it wasn't just one big chunk of time... I remember keeping an eye on him in the previous Stankovic Cup team (I think?) that we sent over and thought that he was a bit "slender" for NBL?

Shame Dumovic didn't get any time, would have been good to see what he was capable of...

Reply #432129 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

Saint Mary's have a respectable team this season it seems. Even though they lost Delly they have added some nice pieces and it'll be interesting to see what Holt can do without deferring to Delly.

Reply #432130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Becuse your a "Academic all American" doesn't mean squat In terms of basketball skills it just means your a smart guy! Cooks is to old for development spot so 10th man would all he b going for

Reply #432132 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Becuse your a "Academic all American" doesn't mean squat In terms of basketball skills it just means your a smart guy!
Anon never suggested otherwise. Just gave background info on a player for those who didn't know. I appreciated it at least. I remember being told that one of the boys had jumped up to 6'7", but couldn't remember which.

Reply #432143 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:04 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754