Isaac
Years ago

Jackson and Screen named Opals co-captains

Stars of the 2012 London Olympic Games Lauren Jackson and Jenni Screen will lead the Jayco Australian Opals for the 2013 FIBA Oceania Championships, with the duo today named co-captains.

Together, the pair bring more than 25 years of experience in the women's national team program to the captaincy, sharing six Olympic and five World Championship campaigns between them.

The captains were voted in by their Opals teammates last night ahead of today’s Game One of the FIBA Oceania Championships in Auckland.

A humbled Screen said she was proud to be selected as co-captain alongside Jackson and remains strongly committed to ensuring the on-going success of the Opals program.

"It’s very humbling for me," Screen said.

“I love this program and I love wearing the green and gold. I feel privileged over my career to have done what I’ve done and most of all create the friendships that I’ve had.

“I just want to create an environment where the girls feel welcome, it’s fun, it’s exciting and it’s a winning culture.”
To be voted as co-captain by teammates must be a great moment of pride for Screen.

Topic #32398 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Screen was really committed to the future success of the Opals she should stand down, seriously...why do the Opals continue to go with Screen? Move on to some younger and BETTER players, we do have them.

Reply #432230 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah have to agree on Screen. As much as I love her hustle and commitment to the program, she's too much of a "system" player. It'd be nice if the Opals had a few more players who could beat their opponent off the dribble and create their own shot. When the offense stagnated in London against teams like France, players like Screen weren't much use.

Reply #432238 | Report this post

the stratosphere  
Years ago

jenni will lead, has the experience and always gives 100%

that is why she is co-captain

Reply #432240 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Regardless, her team voted her up there. They must see value in having her in the squad.

Reply #432241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I say congrats to her for having the honour of captaining her country.

Reply #432244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ok, so on-court at times she doesn't float your boat,
but I don't think she paid off the other players to vote her in - they see the value in other areas.

Reply #432351 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:30 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754