Jack Toft
Years ago

CABL Finals R2

WOMEN
2nd SF Norwood v Sturt - 630 MARS
Norwood deserve a season clean sweep and with celebrity coaching duo "Bri-mon" at the helm they have every chance to do it. They have shown teams how the game is played. Gee, if you had to drop a player from that squad, it would be easier being Tony Abbott's PR Manager. But Sturt is the pebble in their shoe and Marcus Wong could be the David to Brimon’s Goliath. Sturt tend to grow an extra 2 inches in finals and minor round performance is history. The telling difference between the teams is that Sturt have fouled on 61 more occassions than Norwood during the minor season. Pretty much a sign of what Norwood should expect in this game. Regardless of what gets thrown at them, Norwood should a spot in the GF.

1st SF North v Forestville – 815 Hillcrest
Gee, Forestville fell over the line last week and it doesn’t get any easier against the Rockettes, who have shown everyone they are a class act. This is another game that will probably not be won, it is a game that could be lost. Forestville would be disappointed not to crush the Mavs like a bug last week and the Rockettes were the bug against the Sabres. North have knocked off the Eagles both times this season and with Eagles used to the opulant conditions at Wayville instead of the dimly lit, damp, cold drafty conditions of the Hillcrest tin shed that has tempered the Rockettes determination over the years, the Rockettes have the upper hand going into this one and not even the appearance of Percy the pesky possum in the rafters will distract them from setting up a rematch with Sturt.

2nd SF West v Forestville – 630 Port
West have done all the right things this season, but Forestville know how to peak at the right time. They jumped Woodville last week and tonight they are the pacu fish in West’s swimming pool. DJ is the obvious key. He has had a season that has both Bearcats and Sixers fans salivating with excitement, but forget about chucking up 3’s – you don’t take a porsche camping, so why waste a shot. Forestville’s Doyle has had his best season and Gerlach is playing as his Bodie – where’s Cowley. I feel Gerlach is the barometer for the Feagles IMO. In games where he no more than 2 turnovers, they score an average of 22 more points. A useless, unimportant stat? Watch this space...… West to go through to the final.

1st SF Woodville v Centrals – 815 St Clair
This is not a game that will be won, it is a game that will be lost. Woodville have had a great season and don’t deserve to finish 4th. Centrals should be happy to have won a final, but their supporters are calling for more and have been resting their voice all week so that their cheers can be heard in Gawler. Better get some more seating into St Clair because I think a Blue Army is going to invade and they won’t want to look through a window in the cold night air. Centrals weakness has been about 5 to 10 mins each game where they seem to switch off – are they thinking of romps in the savannah with lionesses? Woodville have had the wood on the Lions this season. Their average game score against non-Lion teams has been 80.6 to 74.2, against the Lions, 89.5 to 71.5 – 12 points better! The Lions average 77.7 to 76.2 against non-Woodville teams, so they need to tighten up their D by about 20 ppg if they want to stay in the race. Finals can bring suprises, but only if the Lions can stay on task, or if Woodville get distracted by a spectator in a red jumpsuit. Woodville.

Topic #32408 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

love it Bodie to his Doyle -

Reply #432514 | Report this post

Round 3  
Years ago

"Forestville would be disappointed not to crush the Mavs like a bug last week"

What would an 18pt margin be described as then..!

Reply #432516 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

look at the 3 qtr time scores - Mavs shot themselves out of it.

Reply #432524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Johnson and Cadee in China with 6ers. Think Forestville might snare this one.

Reply #432527 | Report this post

ROUND 3  
Years ago

LAST TIME I LOOKED THE GAME WAS PLAYED OVER 4 QUARTERS, NOT 3...(REFERENCE CENTRALS WOMEN 2 YEARS AGO IN THE FINALS).

I AM SURE IT WAS ALL THE MAVS DOING THAT THEY LOST..

Reply #432583 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

Very subtle about the "cold air" Jack.
Great write-up again

Reply #432595 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Feagles, might make in straight thru to the big dance floor at the " smelly" AA in a couple of weeks with a possible line up of all juniors in

Doyle
Gibbo
Snake
Jake " the man" Rios
Motts

Don't worry about the bench, but headed by Kane" out of retirement" ,Trent , Charles and The double "H"

Three peat?

Reply #432598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Annon your comment about F/ville all being juniors, I have not seen shit stirring that good since Indian's great bake off.

Reply #432602 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Welcome back Jack!

Reply #432620 | Report this post

Rock  
Years ago

Thanks again Jack. Still in Europe putting up with horrible sun, blue skies, nice restaurants, wine and beer......

Reply #432637 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

spare a thought for the poor people stuck in an Australian winter, in the middle of an election campaign...

Reply #432639 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is it scheduled to rain tomorrow? Port Adelaide Court 1 was leaking already!!

Reply #432794 | Report this post

Nike  
Years ago

FYI from the other topic, depends who is reading what:

This weekends referees are:

Men:
Elimination - Nathan Durant & John Clover
Double Chance - Andy Filmer & Nikki Ireland

Women:
Elimination - Nathan Wieland & Mark Frost
Double Chance - Vanessa Devlin & Ian Domeika

Good luck to everyone involved... Players/Coaches/Referees/Scoretable!

Reply #432797 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

great crowd at St Clair tonight the Blue Army turned up in full voice and lots of colour hats of to the spectators of Centrals, well done.

Reply #432829 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great atmosphere at St Clair tonight. As a neutral spectactor I really enjoyed myself. Was disappointing to see Luke Frost get injured and Clausen miss 22 shots!!

Reply #432831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norwood showed tonight why they went undefeated in the normal season. Way too much depth for Sturt.

Reply #432834 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Woodville are claiming on their Facebook page that they had a crowd of 800. I'm calling BS. It was a great crowd, but 800? Be sensible.

Reply #432839 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Norwood get their GF spot and have one hand on the trophy. They've dusted out the cabinet in preparation.

800 at St Clair? Judging by the FB photo, it's possible, but looks like for every 1 green shirt there was 2 blue shirts.

Reply #432844 | Report this post

red17  
Years ago

So how many shots did you make in a semi final... any semi final?

Reply #432845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

North women defeat Forestville for the sixth time straight is it just the better team each time because they are close most times and eagles have their chances, or better coaching on a head to head basis,or bench depth north used 9 players eagles 8 last night,North has 1 WNBL opposed 2 for eagles.

Reply #432850 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd say 500 at most at St Clair last night but a great crowd. 800 would be an exaggeration methinks.
and Jack is right two blue to one green but still a great turn up pity crowds like this do not go to the CABL anymore.

Reply #432858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Forestville women have a stronger roster than North but not the stronger team. Why is that?

Another disappointing year for Forestville women!

Reply #432860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Time to move Shazza on.

Reply #432872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A lot of discontent in the team

Reply #432880 | Report this post

ROUND 3  
Years ago

Yeah good idea .move on the most successful coach in the league...

Reply #432881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But with the talent, with the money available and with all those apples on the bench I think she should have been more successful. Even John Cahill was moved on when his time was up!

Reply #432887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

looking at some of the conflabs in the corridors after some games I am sure that Sharon is under pressure. Since Andy was warned by BSA to stop coaching from the other side of the court during the women's games the team hasn't been as successful just saying.

Reply #432890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Now I understand why the North/Forestville game started at the ridiculous time it did. It gave Andy the chance to get there to co-coach. As Derryn Hinch says "Shame BSA, Shame!"

Reply #432891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some girls on that roster just taking up
space. Week in week out, they just sit, what's the point of being there.

Reply #432896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why did Mia Newly not start last night?

Reply #432899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ask the Coach!

Reply #432900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can only have one star on that team

Reply #432902 | Report this post

SamCro  
Years ago

Thompson's stats in last night game Vs North was very disappointing, you would have thought she should have made a stronger contribution than 9pts 8rbs & shooting 18% from the field goal! Jo Hill (40 yrs old) Vs Olivia Thompson (20 yrs old) was a one way hiding with the Wiley Veteran (Hill) cleaning the floor with the younger & far more athletic (Thompson).

Reply #432908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does she play same spot as Wilson, just thinking about Townsville and how the 2 will be managed.

Reply #432910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No they don't play same positions. Thompson will play the 3 & at times the 4 spot for Townsville (when they play small ball). Thompson doesn't possess the ball handling or long distant shooting to play in the 2 spot at WNBL.

Reply #432915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does she play same spot as Wilson, just thinking about Townsville and how the 2 will be managed.

Reply #432917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry don't know why that reposted

Reply #432918 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Well one thing we know for sure, Forestville now have some thinking time before next season.

Reply #432924 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Was at St Clair - massive crowd with drums lions kids wearing green hair and topped off with great game.
Getting in extra stands well done Warriors - I am told over 400 chairs were out and with the extra stands - and normal stands they use as well as people standing it wont surprise if crowd was closer to 800 than 600 as bear min. Bar was drunk dry and Standing room only. Blue ARMY arrived and it created great atmosphere.Warriors themselves though were out in force great for basketball and hopefully plenty signed the petition to get the CASTLE as its called upgraded -prefer to call it a DUMP - slam dunk and look up for ceiling tile to fall WOW - really and like Hillcrest and Marion its a blight on the game.

Reply #432931 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

WOW extra seating at the DUMP, do tell was this extra seating provided for the visiting team also, or as per usual arrogant Warrior attitude, only for the green grunge?? Their normal minor round behavior has been to provide tiered seating for the green scum and flat seating for the visiting team how sportsmanlike not

Reply #432950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thompson plays the 4. She isnt a 3 spot player either. And will never play a 2 spot, in any competition, let alone WNBL. Have you seen the size of her?

Reply #432966 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

432950 - not sure what you looked at but I saw seating at both ends so the answer and i hope you are not associated with Lions because seating was tiered at Both ends and was definitely extra and was obviously brought in from out sourced company - and probably had a cost and was provided for Lions.
flat seating so visitors sit on the floor or do you mean chairs - last time I looked was chairs and stands each end even for district.

Reply #432968 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Extra stands were provided at the Castle (Dump) for both set of supporters. Warriors were advised that a large number of Central supporters would be there and they were looked after, seating wise, the same as the home team. Great atmosphere and well done to the Lions with the drums, trumpets and mascot and their enthusiasm was well matched by the Green army

Reply #432973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The stands were provided at a cost to Woodville both last week and this week.

Thankyou to the West Adelaide person for your charming words about our club because the only week the seating was not provided at both ends was against West early in the season which the club acknowledged was a mistake so it was not done again for the rest of the season.

Funny you know what happened week in week out at St Clair considering your team played there once.

Typical West abusing clubs/ people on Hoops. At least West isn't blaming the referees for once - they'll save that for the Grand Final if they lose.

Reply #432986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow, a serious bit of Woodville inferiority complex coming out there. Why would West people give a rats arse about the seating at Woodville games?

Reply #432991 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nah, that was andy blaming refs

Reply #432992 | Report this post

Round 3  
Years ago

I heard Woodville put the game charge up to $8 to cover the costs of the extra seats on Saturday night..

Reply #432995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yep $8 entry. Could have sworn it wasn't that much last time. So its great that woodville provided seating but not that generous when they are on charging to the paying guests.. not so great. Given the numbers they knew they would get its pretty disappointing to up the cover charge if that is what they did.

Reply #432996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why do clubs bother?

if they don't put the price up who's going to pay for the cost? the club's juniors. And then you'd all complain about how they're spending $$ on an ABA program instead of spending it on juniors.

Putting the entry fee up to cover costs of holding the game is exactly what they should have done as a responsible finance decision.

Stop whinging just for the sake of it.

Reply #432998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is probably Andy and the Forestville group complaining when they went to that game following their loss in the early game at Pt Adelaide.

Sorry - got that wrong. Andy went back to Hillcrest for the late Women's game to co-coach with Sharon

Reply #433002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im sure the extra 600 people they got to the game would have covered the cost at $5 a head. No need to put the price up.

Reply #433017 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Don't know why you are complaining about woodville charging $8 for a finals game when NORWOOD charge $8 every game!!!!

Reply #433087 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

But Norwood charge that to keep the riff raff out

Reply #433093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, they charge you extra because they have NO bar. Good logic that.

Reply #433096 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow one would think that an association would regulate entry fee's. BSA is a joke

Reply #433097 | Report this post

Boom  
Years ago

Last saturday night:

Game time: 6.30pm at Mars, just $6 for adults - children free.
Get along in your red and blue and cheer them on!

Reply #433099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was told the logic was they had higher court costs but I since hear that they share this cost with all clubs. I think our club would be in front if we close the bar and charge everyone an extra $2.

Reply #433102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was told the logic was they had higher court costs but I since hear that they share this cost with all clubs. I think our club would be in front if we close the bar and charge everyone an extra $2.

Reply #433103 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Might have been $6 last week, against Sturt. Does it go up to $8 for the riff raff?

Reply #433113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They dropped it because they only had one game. Norwood charging more than everyone else during the regular season is a disgrace!

Reply #433121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #433213 | Report this post

the fan  
Years ago

Reply #433214 | Report this post

AlmaSano  
Years ago

You shall never sacrifice price for a quality product. Charge $10, teach an excited brand of basketball and let all kids in free. Parents will pay, if they don't also have to pay for their children. Basa could do more, the clubs could do more...there's an administrative competition happening here that intrigues me. Does promotion = development; does a full-time (ish) jdo = victories; does social media presence = strong junior #s??

Reply #433268 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:49 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754