Isaac
Years ago

Could the NBA ditch free throws?

Interesting piece from ESPN - Imagine a game without free throws?

As a general principle, "earning it at the line" is not a force of good in basketball. Earning it at the line results in potentially spectacular plays disintegrating into a flying collision, some of which result in injury rather than pyrotechnics. Earning it at the line is the equivalent of intentionally pulling the plugs on the speakers just as the party is getting good.
The scourge of the free throw is a far easier problem to diagnose than to treat because there are no simple antidotes. Could we just automatically award two points to a player when he gets fouled in the act of shooting or while his team is in the penalty? One or the other? Maybe two points for a shooting foul, but only one point and possession for a non-shooting foul in the bonus?
Full article

It's interesting because what basketball might view as a bland hassle, sports like soccer and footy have made into key components. The suspense before a penalty in soccer, or a guy lining up for a kick from outside fifty.

This is from the half-bakery, but it made me think of two amusing options:

- replace free throws with a half-court attempt for five points
- when fouled in the frontcourt, you get a free attempt from wherever you're fouled, almost netball style. So fouling a lay-up is effectively giving up the points.

Edit: Spotted this funny-but-I'd-watch-that suggestion on Twitter from @ZolotAwesome:
fouling player goes to other side of halfcourt. Ball inbounds and offense plays 5v4 till they score/ball crosses halfcrt #hoopidea

if you're already 4v5 and you foul on shot, that player also goes to other side of court, and it's now 3v5. Dunks ensue #hoopidea

Topic #32439 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

Personally, a bad idea. I think this is a result of it being a slow hoops news day.

Reply #433186 | Report this post

Fill Smythe  
Years ago

First the Jump Ball, now the Free Throw, what next???????? The Ball??????

Reply #433190 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

I tried ditching free throws, but stopped it pretty quickly. Turns out the success rate is much higher when you put a nice gentle arc on the shot.

Reply #433193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I really like the "shoot it from where you were fouled" idea.....rewards big men who are close to the hoop and struggle at the line (Shaq).

Reply #433212 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I seem to recall we hadda sideball option and trialed one (1) freethrow and a sideball one year,
a long time ago, when I played.

Reply #433222 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I hope not!

Reply #433225 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

The NBA needs the drama of the chance of missing the free-throws, so it won't get rid of it.

as a fan, I hate the hack-a-Shaq mentality and the fact that the final 60 seconds takes 10 minutes to finish because of dumb / desperate teams fouling.

TV stations hate it because it makes the finish time uncertain and makes the game last longer.

Personally, I'd just award the basket straight away for fouls of certain types or in certain locations, if it will free up the game for a bit more excitement and improve the chances of FTA TV coverage.

Reply #433234 | Report this post

Nino  
Years ago

Nope, integral part of the game, this is just nonsense really. Luckily today is a stronger bball news day, LBJ shaved his head finally!

Reply #433255 | Report this post

Ariel  
Years ago

Not too bad an idea with the last 2 minutes why not give the free throw as ONE shot at 2 points ? Three point fouls get the 2 shots at 2 points.Then give the fouled team 14 seconds in the front court .
If You get it , bonus ,hurts the team from trying to Hack-a Shaq ,moves the game quicker .Most players either get the first or second free throw .Not both, costing time .
(The other waste of time is using young kids on the floor mop ,get in some older dude that can scrub like a demon)

Reply #433259 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd prefer no foul shots:

- too long, boring

- promotes hacking

- promotes fouling to gain possession

- promotes fouling to stop an easy shot

Team foul under the limit: possession

Team foul over the limit: +1 pt and possession

Foul whilst shooting a 2pt (miss): +1 pt and possession

Foul whilst shooting a 2pt (made): +1 pt

Foul whilst shooting a 3pt (miss): +2 pt and possession

Foul whilst shooting a 3pt (made): +1 pt

Upsides: Game is faster, less boring, less deliberate fouls, last 5 minutes is action

Downsides: Players will have lest rest time (probably more timeouts/subs/bench used), poor teams may make nothing of their extra possession and may have preferred the foul shots (probably deserve to lose then)

Reply #433323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The biggest barrier to implementing rules without free throws (in order to create a good show) would be that the players may be deficient when moving to traditional rules (eg Olympics/WorldCup).

Otherwise I would imagine that a league like the NBL would have a lot to gain from such rule changes.

Reply #433324 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Players will drive hard to gain a foul at certain points during a game, knowing they can earn 'and1 if they score. But they don't go crazy with it because they miss and it puts some pressure on the free throws to go in.

If that is changed to an auto 2 on the foul during such a move it will encourage ugly, crash 'n bash games with too many players fouled out of games and no one being able to play strong defence.

Sorry, I just can't see any good reason for this rule change!

Hacking, flagrantly should be called as a tech' and a major problem is resolved, but no need to go and make changes for the sake of change here IMO...

Reply #433330 | Report this post

Ariel 90  
Years ago

im sorry thats a shit idea

Reply #433672 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:57 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754