Jack Toft
Years ago

CABL Prelim FInals

Da jevu round. Didn't these teams play each other a fortnight ago?

Women
Sturt-North @ Pasadena
Sturt had their lowest score for the season last week in what will be a sign of what to expect next week for the winner of tonight. This is the de facto GF. May no bones about it. There will be a winner this week, but it's like drawing straws to work out who is going to jump the neighbour’s fence to get the ball that went in the neighbour’s yard with all the hungry Rottweillers on the other side. Sturt have been the bogey side of North this season. North lower their output by a whopping 20 ppg against them. They’re not the alone struggling against the suffocating defence of Sturt, but will need to pull a rabbit out of the hat if they want to get beaten by Norwood next week. If I was Sturt I wouldn’t be screen printing the "Runners Up 2013" t-shirts just yet, but I would be baking up some celebratory croissants for this week.

Men
Forest-ville vs Wood-ville @ Way-ville, near Torrens-ville?
Forestville missed a massive opportunity last week. It was like getting invited around to that girl’s house you like while her boyfriend was away. They were about to cut his lunch when they had some awkward moment with the bra strap, still it brings the rematch with the Green Dragons. Al likes to do it tough by taking the long way to finals and maybe he just wanted to see how many people could squeeze into St Clair. Woodville had the upper hand in the regular season, but deep in enemy territory they will find it hard going against the Dynamic Trio of Forestville and a large home crowd. Both teams deserve a GF spot, but like one of the minor parties, we might find the flow of preferences sees the last senate spot goes against the greens and goes to one of the major parties. Forestville’s GF spot to lose.

Topic #32452 | Report this topic

tragic  
Years ago

Sturt looked a little like they put the cue in the rack late in the second and started thinking of the preliminary last week.
While North withstood all the Eagles threw at them but must get their outside shooting going to beat the Sturt defence.
The winner will be hoping Norwood go into the Grand Final over confident and maybe steal a break on them early and then hang on.

Reply #433403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is Gibson playing?

Reply #433410 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Are any juniors playing?

Reply #433414 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not for Forestville.

Reply #433415 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Eagles smashed Woodville without Gibson a fortnight ago so I don't think it is a huge deal if he suits or not. He could potentially stuff up Doyle's ryhthm as he had a huge influence last time they played.

Reply #433416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On the basis of the comments here I guess I should just stay home and watch TV as North and Woodville have buckley's chance of reversing what happened two weeks ago. In fact North have lost all three to Sturt this season. As for Forestville they have to be certainties as Sharon is free from her coaching commitments and will be able to assist Andy.

Reply #433421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Warriors are a chance. If Ng and Wyatt have good shooting games and their bigs contain Mottram they will go close.

Reply #433423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doyle + Rios > Ng + Wyatt

Andy + Sharon > Al

Woodville - No chance

Reply #433424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Then why didn't the Eagles win every game that they played against Woodville?

Reply #433425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because it didn't count for anything

Because Sharon had Women commitments

Do I need to go on with the obvious

Reply #433428 | Report this post

Basketville  
Years ago

Doyle + Rios =45 > Ng + Wyatt = 23 @ the Qual final
Andy + Sharon = full court press > Al = shooting at 30 %
If I was Wdvl I would be putting blue/yellow socks on

Reply #433430 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree that Doyle and Rios had great games last time they played. Warriors shooting was way off which is why Ng and Wyatt need to have a good shooting game to get up. Eagles full court zone/press certainly put the Warriors off last game.

Reply #433435 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Remember , it is played at Wayville, lets hope it doesn't rain! Plus the bar is better !!!

Any stands going up?

Reply #433449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In what world is Doyle and rios better than ng & wyatt? Ng is a game changer who has played Nbl for many year, Doyle is still a towel boy (maybe one day he will get there but not yet) and I'd take wyatt over rios all day, he is a better all rounder who plays d and can't just shoot. It not those 4 who are the issue! It's the support staff. Those 4 are players but its the rest of the team that needs to show up. And Woodville do have a thing for beating the eagles at home. Hope it's a fight to the final buzzer!

Reply #433472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isn't it easy to wind up the Woodville faithful!!

Reply #433478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

got to say Wyatt if he hogs the ball like last week woodville will lose. He may have scored points but OMG did he ball hog big time especially in the last quarter

Reply #433488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wyatt was the only one scoring and in the last quarter they ran alot of plays to just give him the ball and then wind down the clock as they had a handy lead. In the 3rd they did the same with Ng but he had an off night.

Reply #433497 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Woodville are still in with a chance and can't be written off. They are behind the 8 ball but a win to them could be the stuff of legends.

Fast forward to 2063. . . . . . .

Grandson: "Tell me about your basketball premiership again Grandad"

Old Man: “It was 2013 and we had a great season. We lost our first final but won the second. The clutch game was against a team called Forestville. That's what they were called before they merged with us to form Woodville-West Torrens. They used to play in a couple of old nissan huts next to the Keswick railyards. We laughed at them because our facilities were so much better than theirs. Our courts were a castle. The nissan huts used to leak when it rained and the moss on the courts used to be swept up before each game. When not being used for basketball, the local council used to keep stray dogs there or something every September.
Anyhow, it was a cold winter’s night and the Woodville crowd out numbered them by 5 to 1. The only reason it wasn’t 10 to 1 was the fact they shipped in homeless men from Whitmore Square by offering them free soup, a roof for the night, and free WiFi for their iPads.
Just before the game started one of our players, who was a doctor, was summonded to hospital for an emergency incident after someone fell over in the bathroom and landed on their bike so we were down a player. I hadn’t played a game all season but always kept my kit in the boot of my car and when our coach put the call out over the PA I was suited up before Forestville had a chance to finish an apple.
They came out hard in the first half and were ahead by 20 at quarter time. We hit back and by half time the cut the lead down to 4 points. In the third quarter the 50:50’s were going all Forestville’s way and they were up to 20 points again. By this time the homeless men had dismantled part of the grandstand and had formed a bonfire. The claims of free WiFi were as empty as a Nigerian scammer's security deposit box. The coach gave us a spray and we thought his head was going to explode. We fought hard in the final quarter and scores were level with 3 seconds left on the clock. One of the Forestville players slipped on a bit of moss in the key and it was called a foul so he went to the line.
He put the first shot up and swished it to put them up by one. The second shot hit the rim and went around a few times before falling out. We got the defensive rebound, but the Forestville timekeeper started the clock too early. I just chucked the ball towards our goals as the final siren went. The Forestville bench and supporters rushed the court not realising that the ball was still active even though the siren had gone.
Now, this is where the controvesy begins. Forestville supporters say we cheated, but us Woodville supporters say it was the hand of God. The ball I had thrown was bouncing along the court and was heading into the direction of the goal when it seemed to be deflected, landed on the rim and everyone thought it was a dead ball, but the stadium vibrated to the Forestville supporters bouncing, the structural supports were on fire, and this was enough to drop the ball into the goal like a golf ball dropping after everyone thought the shot was over.
The goal was counted and we won by one point.
The week after we played West who were all struck down by a mystery bout of gastro after they had a final dinner at one of our supporter's cafes. . . . .
After that, Woodville was offerred the second SA NBL licence”
Grandson: “Wow Grandpa!”

Reply #433517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL LOL good story still laughing don't worry about the fact the ball bouncing after the siren would make it dead. Can't ruin a brilliant story with the truth.
Gets strange looks around here just laughing hard at a computer screen.

Reply #433535 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

Grandpa Jack-- who were the cheating officials in the game?

Reply #433557 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

There are never cheating officials but when things are remembered 50 years down the track, the barriers are always higher, the fish were always bigger and the girls you hooked up with always prettier.

Reply #433559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I actually thought you were telling that story and at the end you were about to say:

Grandson: "And Grandad, is that when everyone started calling you Ricey?"

Reply #433562 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

LOL

Reply #433568 | Report this post

NotJack  
Years ago

This is your finest hour Jack

Reply #433583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That was just a cool story! On to the game tonight, I don't think you count woodville out either. At the end of the day they didn't end up 15-3 for no reason! They have won 2-3 against feagles. Yes last game was a very ordinary showing by them, but you have bad games, that's just how our great game is, I think that will be a battle and will come down to the team who wants it the most obv IMO only, good luck to both teams

Reply #433634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

North into GF. Poor shooting and outcoached cost Sturt. Huge reversal from 2 weeks ago

Reply #433657 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like Eagles to good for the Warriors unless a fourth quarter miracle occurs.

Reply #433662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

3/4 time

Doyle+Rios = 27 > Ng + Wyatt =5

Reply #433663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Eagles = finals. Not even a club member. They made it look like a training run though. Sad considering how woodville played all year, but they play a damn good TEAM game. Good luck to them. I hope they being it against west and go the three peat. Don't see too many of them.

Reply #433664 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Eagles= Finals?
eagles = get whatever it takes to win finals

Mid season recruiting vs a smaller club who build a team pre season.

Gibson, Oakley, Mottram all joined or played less than 50%

Strong get stronger

Will the club in 10 years reflect like they did 20 years earlier, when long serving juniors won the 2003 flag, or will we remember the excellent, non salary capped recruitment of players by a coach and club , who have no real concerns for junior development becoming senior success.

All a bit false really

Reply #433667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sour grapes woodville sour grapes

Reply #433668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What happened to Sturt. Only scored 6 points in second qtr and 2 points in third quarter. Is this a record low score by an ABA team in one quarter

Reply #433677 | Report this post

Green 52  
Years ago

While you have a governing body run by the Clubs themselves, the best interests of the game will never be served

Reply #433678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are you serious Green. The clubs have little to no control over the running if District or ABA. This is a major issue fir basketball in this state. BSA dictates to district but not to country or church. These associations have strong representation on BSA commission and can influence what happens at a district level but not vice versa

District clubs need to consider what they can do to take more control of their destiny like country and church

Reply #433681 | Report this post

tragic  
Years ago

What happened to Sturt was Jo Hill 30 pts 11 reb and Jamie Lee 24 pts 13 reb they stepped up and apart from Amy Shaw with 17 pts and 5 reb and Hannah Bowley 11 pts and 5 reb resistance was minimal.

Reply #433682 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely Marcus has enough talent in that team to change things up. 8 points in two quarters is U12 stuff

Reply #433683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FYI Mottram and Oakley have been with the team since the start of the season, Mottram spent along time out getting a torn calf right, Oakley has been training to get himself right after 5 years out of the game. Because they aren't playing doesn't mean they are last minute pick ups. The programme always had room for a restricted player and Gibbo clearly slotted in nicely. Last nights team had 6 under 23 players in it and they have another 3 training with the group. In all 10 players have played all of their basketball with Forestville. Most Juniors coming up take time to develop and to train in the Eagles programme rapidly speeds up their development. To play at this level is not a players right just because you are a club junior as some think. You have to earn your stripes, most can't do that and many fall away as it becomes to hard or other interests take over. Those that do the hard yards and have the desire may still not make it but at least they had a crack and the Eagles programme will give you that opportunity

Reply #433688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is that 10 of the team last night? Surely Doyle, Gibbo and Rios off the top of my head have played elsewhere?

Reply #433689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes that's right the Eagles squad has 16 players including Brad Hayden who is currently injured and of the 16, 10 have played all of their basketball with Forestville. 6 of last nights team have played all of their basketball with Forestville

Reply #433692 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Haha... Good read Jack. Was waiting for me to be the grandad at the end for some reason too hahahaha

Reply #433695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rios + Doyle 43 points, .. Ng + Wyatt 8 points
Enough said

Reply #433699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And approx 40% is good!!! I would suggest That is one of the highest and nothing to be proud of

Reply #433700 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Yes, there is a "Director's Cut" ending

Grandson: "Wow Grandpa Aaron, I never get tired of your basketball stories. Tell me about the week after when you did that dunk"
Grandpa: "I think his name was Daniel Jackson or something, it doesn't really matter because after I tomahawked over him he was never heard of again."

Reply #433701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#688, how dare you ruin the Woodville sooks and their sob story by bringing reason to this argument!

Reply #433714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, well I did say that Ng and Wyatt had to shoot well for Woodville to be a chance, they didn't and all credit to the Eagles. Eagles defence suffocated Ng and Wyatt and they didn't have an open look all night. In contrast Warriors defence was just terrible, so many open looks and the Eagles shot an amazing percentage (with no D) just like last time they met.

All credit to the Eagles, coaching staff worked out the warriors and shut them down and Rios and Doyle were definitaly a class above. Good luck to the Eagles next week and hopefully the Warriors can go one better next year.

Reply #433731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The preliminary finals had some amazing score lines - F/ville dominating W/ville but looking at the box score for the women's final is amazing. How can a team with that talent only score 6 and 2 in the second and third qtr after scoring 29 in the first and dominating.

Have a look at the box score - it is amazing reading.

Reply #433787 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:54 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754