AK-47
Years ago

NH: Essendon stripped of points

Word is that Essendon have been stripped of their points, fined $2,000,000 and stripped of all draft picks for the upcoming AFL draft. Word is that their may be sanctions for Essendon's VFL side as well.

Fair or over the top? At least this will hopefully slow down the media a touch!

Topic #32490 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Definitely fair. I think the draft picks is a little different to what you've written. My understanding is that they'll lose 1st and 2nd round picks for the next two seasons. Fairly certain Demetriou will go as well once this is all said and done, at least that's what my mail says.

Reply #433998 | Report this post

m  
Years ago

I have a question, as they have been stripped of all points does that mean all their games that they have won, the other team gets full points? Also they play Richmond this week, does that mean it is an automatic 4pts for Richmond?

Reply #434001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No,

If Richmond lose, the get 0 points for a loss.

Essendon get 0 points for a win.

Stripped of points not wins.

Reply #434002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's be honest were they going to do much in finals anyway from 7th? Not really, especially the way they've been playing of late
Bombers are one of the wealthiest clubs and the chairman is part of a company worth however many tens of millions of dollars so don't think the fine will put them in trouble

The draft picks will be the telling part, what I heard was loss of 1st and 2nd round this year and 1st round 2014 - the club can still trade to get picks in these rounds i think - could be totally wrong if they can trade for them or not

The biggest problem will be if a bunch of players walk out even under contract as well as how many years people still view them as 'cheats'

Reply #434003 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They haven't been stripped of points, just banned from the finals meaning that they will finish 9th. To strip them of their points would mean they win the wooden spoon, and after the first 2 rounds of the draft, they would end up with the first pick for each subsequent round which the AFL felt would compromise the draft, especially when you consider it would mean Essendon getting picks ahead of Melbourne & GWS.

No Rnd 1 or 2 draft picks in 2013 or 2014, but they will get a pick at the end of the 1st rnd of the 2014 draft and can trade into the draft.

Reply #434004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty soft really when you compare it to the crows sanctions considering the crows didn't even break the salary cap they just had an undisclosed side deal. So tedhnically all they did wrong was not declare it to the afl. The bombers have done a lot more than that and definitely brought the game into disrepute.
As mentioned 2 mil will hurt but it's not a deal breaker for the bombers.

So glad this is now over.. But honestly I don't think it is yet, I think it's going to be ongoing for sometime. Who knows what asada will eventually find now they have greater powers.

Reply #434006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lets smash Richmond.

Reply #434007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why would demetriou go?
hes the best executive in the world

Reply #434008 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Compared to Adelaide, yes, Essendon did a lot worse, hence their punishment was a lot worse.

Reply #434009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Demetriou is done, too many questions that would be too hard to answer once everyone's gaze leaves Essendon.

Reply #434012 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What came of that news that Demetriou tipped off the club about a potential investigation? I did I misread the headline.

Reply #434021 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

I agree Isaac..............it has gone very quiet.

Reading between the lines I think Hird has agreed to drop his writ / allegations against the AFL and has accepted a 12 month ban.

He has just signed a 2 yr contract extension and from what I have heard it is worth approx $2.5 mill.

Reply #434037 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

My question is about who will coach Essendon until August 2014?
I believe that Essendon have promised Hird a return to the coaching role after the suspension is served.
Not many would want to coach under that condition, unless Bomber Thompson steps in for the short term?

Reply #434039 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Hird has endorsed Bomber to coach the team - seems like the logical choice given he is on the payroll and really given he recommended Robinson after working with him in Geelong who then got Dank into the club might feel a persoanl responsibility to take the gig on?

Reply #434040 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Jake, at the time, it reminded me of the Catholic church being left to police their internal indiscretions. Of course it's in the interests of their organisation to cover things up. The AFL has long been rumoured to go easy on a few big-brand players and their drug issues, presumably for the sake of the league as a whole? (Or potentially for the good of the player, if you want to be particularly gracious.)

Reply #434041 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Its only Hird that is stating that Demetriou tipped them off. Others in the Essendon camp have contradicted Hird's (and Hird's PR team) statement that they were tipped off. The ACC has also stated that they did not give any specific info about clubs to the AFL when they announced their investigation.

Hird has handled himself poorly throughout this whole investigation (and while the supplement program was going on), making it all about him.

Reply #434043 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Which is what puzzles me about this new contract they've given him and the outpouring of support from fans. I get that he's their beloved son, but he messed up and then appeared to dodge blame at every opportunity since then. At what point is it time to find a new hero to lead?

Reply #434062 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

And why is he a hero still?

If my kid was playing at Essendon, and Hird knowingly was making him have injections whilst knowing that there are side effects to come from them, I would be heading the lynch mob to get him out of town.

Reply #434066 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

He is/was using the fact that sports fanatics (fanatics, not just fans) are a ravenous bunch of meatheads who put loyalty to the club and its heroes above all sorts of common sense.

DB5, I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment in speaking out against the program and the coach. The problem is, what happens to the FIRST player or parent that does speak out? You can almost guarantee they won't play football again especially if they don't have other people publicly supporting them. The former player who spoke out at the start of the saga was immediately discredited with a personal attack by other Essendon loyalists.

Reply #434068 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

What other employer would give you a year offer after such a massive punishment then sign you up for a further 2 yrs on a mutli million dollar deal?

Reply #434070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

there was a good article in yesterdays paper on line about how Hird was a messiah to many and felt that he could do no wrong,not be questioned, he had the right to do whatever he wanted. very good article well worth a read.

Reply #434071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A player will speak out only after being de-listed.

If they were smart they would put their concerns to the club now in writing, especially about potential future health issues.

I certainly hope managers are getting onto the club on behalf of their players behind the scenes.

Reply #434073 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

"A player will speak out only after being de-listed."

At which point they will be discredited for being bitter at their de-listing.

Reply #434079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unless they can prove a history of communication about their concerns. And then they can claim they are be de-listed because of said complaint.

It will get especially ugly if there is some kid of health issue.

Reply #434081 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What other employer would give you a year offer after such a massive punishment then sign you up for a further 2 yrs on a mutli million dollar deal?
It is not uncommon in some areas of government or related positions. e.g., someone moves from a troubled position in government to work as a lobbyist or any other government-facing position.

Reply #434083 | Report this post

VP  
Years ago

If the ASADA final report is dramatically different to the Interim Report and States that Banned Substances were taken by the Players will the Club & Coaches have further charges brought against them.

Alternatively, What if WADA over rules ASADA and imposes bans on the Players & Coaches & Club.

I don't think this is over yet and could get much worse for those involved.

The AFL has imposed a very light penalty to the Individuals involved so far. If this was an Olympic sport they would have had Life Bans no doubt.

Reply #434096 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I guess it all comes down to whatever they can get out of Dank, if anything.

Reply #434106 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Rather than being stripped of points and working out who gets those points, they've been placed in ninth position. AFL wanted them to participate in the minor round, hence the timing of this.
ASADA is a slow moving crab, crawling sideways.

Reply #434137 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

If they were stripped of points, their opponents wouldn't have been awarded the wins/points for those matches.

Reply #434138 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Then they would be bottom, which helps them with the draft

Reply #434146 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Except they've been banned from the draft for two years. Have you actually read anything about what has happened?

Reply #434153 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

The Situation. They have not been banned from the draft. They have lost 1st and 2nd round draft picks.

Reply #434154 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

So they could have picked 37th if they finished last, instead of 45th? I don't think that's a massive windfall for the club or would have even been considered when negotiating to make them ineligible for the finals.

Reply #434155 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

After hearing Demetriou on TV and radio the last few nights, you're sayen opposite things to what he is saying.

Reply #434174 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

From what was said the other night, the Bombers preferred the "dignity" of just being ruled ineligible in 9th place rather than finishing last with no points.

Reply #434176 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Fair enough. Sounds like an agreement that suited both.
(Pretty sure I heard Demetriou say that it's only hird sayen I tipped essendon off, noone else is aying i tipped them off)

Reply #434179 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

...and I've had to answer questions at the Commission and ASADA enquiries.....

Reply #434190 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:42 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754