kristina
Years ago

NBL should bring out an NBA team for an exhibition

sitting back watching the A-league bring Man united, Liverpool and big teams out to Australia has helped promote the game of soccer in Australia. the news coverage was massive, we know NBA teams have been going to china and playing exhibition games there and basketball has been exploding in China. Would it be a good idea to bring out an NBA team to play an exhibition game here, maybe GSW with bogut, curry and co or a Spurs team with Mills, baynes, parker, Duncan and co. would this create the exposure and hype basketball needs in Australia

Topic #32508 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Yes, of course, it's a no brainer. And the league are working towards it, but we're a small market and our sport here has a lot less money around it than the equivalent in China.

The NBA recognise the huge potential in the Chinese market. They would be less excited about the sport here given that it's hardly booming.

Reply #434311 | Report this post

Europa  
Years ago

The other consideration is NBL hardly gets 20 seconds of news grab(from Adelaide AFAIK).You would need to search high and low for what the comp is doing on general media let alone the players .

Reply #434319 | Report this post

white line fever  
Years ago

Places like the phillipines etc would be of more interest to them - marketing etc our only hope would be a leg on an Asian / Pacific tour

Reply #434336 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

One of the footy stadiums would need to be converted with a basketball floor to handle the extra demand of fans if you want to match the 50k, 80k that soccer fans generate.

Most basketball arena/entertainment centres are 10k-15k capacity.

Reply #434339 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

really the league is working towards it Isaac, last night KK said on sportsline/sky news that wasn't an option or viable when put to her. I would love to see an NBA team come out, would be terrific for the region not just australia

Reply #434362 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

KK isn't viable sitiveni but she's still there.

Reply #434366 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

sitiveni, I said the league, not BA, because the NBL has specifically mentioned it recently.

Reply #434368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whats BA got to do with the NBL sitveni? You still don't get it do you.

Reply #434369 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

there has been no de-merger as yet although all parties have agreed. so none of you watched sky news last night. She was talking about nbl then spoke about her BA plans for the future.

Reply #434372 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Isaac, the NBA HAS identfied the potential in China.

There are three NBA China offices, and an NBA Asia office in Hong Kong.

The NBA will own the Chinese league soon and are in the process of starting an Asian Champions League style basketball tournament.

Reply #434399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PLease tell us what KK said about the Nbl and why it's so relevant that you mention her.
The official demerger hasnt happened within a short period of time the new Nbl will happen. What's your point?

Reply #434400 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Can we not soil any basketball talk with mentions of KK.

Reply #434412 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

They might as well be a million miles apart.
Tried ringing BA for a contact number for NBL.
Was told to consult the website.
Told her that was the number I was ringing and the other one given never answers, rings out. Obviously is not update yet.
Was told "didn't I hear that the parties were totally separate now and she had no contact numbers."
I reminded her that it was to the benefit of both parties that they continued to acknowledge each other.
Was told the Boomers and Opals were their responsibility and had nothing to do with the NBL.

Reported that response to my local NBL team office who seemed genuinely alarmed at the childish attitude.
Would a reverse call have given me different results?

Reply #434417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't the NBA have an Australian office or at least a presence here when they told Townsville Suns to change their name? Plus the Stern appearance.

Then later on their interest in Australia waned because everyone here was (and still is) obsessed with yobbo footy codes. What a shame since we had so much momentum in the 80s and 90s.

Re: KK she is a leech. Look at her CV - NSW Labor and BA. I want to see her in a private sector role where you have to show profitabilty not just accept handouts from taxpayers. She is hot but useless. It pays to know how to BS.

Reply #434444 | Report this post

eli1  
Years ago

would be nice, but the NBL just doesnt have enough clout for that to happen

Reply #434649 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:54 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754