traread
Years ago

Carl Rodwell - Australia's 1st NBA Draft Pick

Hey guys,

I think that this may interest some of you who enjoy your Australian Basketball History.

Me & my Podcast host, Benyam caught up with Carl Rodwell, former Boomer & Australia's 1st NBA Draft Pick (Atlanta Hawks 20th Round 217th Overall 1969).

He has an amazing story & it gives you some insight into what Basketball was like in Australia & America in the 1960's.

Just thought i'd share

http://believethehypenba.com/2013/09/01/episode-111-carl-rodwell-australias-nba-pioneer/

Topic #32528 | Report this topic

Rick  
Years ago

I remember the excellent commentary from Carl Rodwell and Phil Lynch at the 84 Olympics.

For the Argentinian player with the headband "He looks like a 6 day bike rider out there"
After Gaze knocked down an off balance 3 "He gave back his own present on that one" (Near to Gaze's 18th birthday)

Reply #434550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bump.
Good memory from anon in another thread.

Reply #821882 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Rodwell

This needs expanding.

Reply #821886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree gives very limited detail.

Reply #821887 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

You have to remember things were different back then. The drafts were massive something like 20 rounds IIRC.
So as you can imagine most players drafted never came close to playing n the NBA.

Rodwell I'm pretty sure was drafted n the last round right towards the end

Reply #821888 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Some drafts like the MLB still operate in this way. Funnily enough the first Australian drafted in it was way back in 1884.

Reply #821890 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:44 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754