The Situation
Years ago

Wildcats sign second import

Perth Wildcats sign Jermaine Beal
The Perth Wildcats have signed American guard Jermaine Beal as their second import for the 2013/14 NBL season.
The 25-year-old is a physical, court-savvy combo-guard with a strong outside shot who stands at 191cm and weighs in at 92kg.
Beal played at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tennessee, before starting his professional career in the NBA D-League. He has since spent time playing overseas in Poland in 2011, Belgium in 2012 and most recently Brazil where he played for Minas in the 2012/13 season.
In the recent Novo Basquete Brasil (Brazilian basketball league) season, Beal averaged 12.4 points while shooting at an impressive 47.3 per cent from the field. He also averaged more than 40 per cent from the perimeter, 2.6 rebounds, 2.4 assists and 1.1 blocks.
Wildcats coach Trevor Gleeson says Beal will be a big part of his team's championship tilt.
"It’s all about getting the right fit, we’ve seen him play and watched a lot of tape, so I think he’s going to compliment our playing roster," he said.
“You’re going to see a pretty dynamic player, the guy can shoot, play the pick-and-roll, play the shooting guard as well as being very comfortable at the point, so it gives us versatility in the back-court, he’ll be able to work with Damian Martin, and I’m really looking forward to him joining the team.”
In his senior year at Vanderbilt University, Beal averaged 14.6 points per game with a solid shooting percentage of 44. He picked up 3.1 assists per game, 2.5 rebounds and 1.0 steals, while damaging opponents from beyond the arc, shooting at just under 40 per cent.

Topic #32530 | Report this topic

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

"impressive 47.3 per cent from the field"

This is a good start.

Reply #434563 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Also, he has pro-ball experience in multiple places and he's a good age. So we get some maturity and experience rather than raw from college.

Reply #434564 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Looks good!

Reply #434565 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

He looks like he has serious range and throws a terrific ally-oop pass...maybe to Ennis this year?

I hope the Perth Arena baskets are kind to him as they seem to be pretty bad for everyone but maybe another year using them will have helped.

Now I'm super excited to sit down and watch my team.

I think Trevor Gleeson has done well

Reply #434566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Since they have signed beal, are they going to sign Drake as Muo injury replacement

Reply #434567 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

It's hard not to feel excited.

If they draw in Exum as a DP and finish off with a decent 3pt player, this will be a scary, scary team.

Add in the Perth Arena HCA...

And this team has the ability to excite. I know that defence is extremely important but the offence we're seeing built here will see that Arena stay above the 10k boundary all year.

Reply #434568 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

" "impressive 47.3 per cent from the field"

This is a good start. "

I agree.
If it had said "pitiful 47.3 per cent from the field" I would have been more than a little concerned.

Reply #434569 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

What if they called it an orange 47.3 per cent from the field? Where would we stand?

Reply #434570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd be a little concerned about the 2 boards + 2 assists thing coupled with only 12 points.

The Brazilian league isn't that great and sounds like he was just a role player but could knock down open shots.

Reply #434572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will be interesting to see how he goes, was on the same college team as Ogilvy and numbers are atleast as good, so could be a pretty decent import, assuming Ogilvy is one of the better Aussies in the league.

Reply #434578 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

I remeber him while watching Ogilvy and he didn't pass much. Was always looking to shoot.

Reply #434582 | Report this post

Mark  
Years ago

Just saw on Twitter Drake U'u is still trialling - will play in game against SBL All Stars on Sunday

Reply #434588 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Haggard from Can't Buy A Basket made a good fine; the listed stats for his time in the NBB are off.

Should be:
16.7ppg, 44.5%FG, 40%3PT

Reply #434594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No matter how excited I get about the players the Wildcats are signing, I know that they will all look like shit at Perth Arena thanks to those fucking rings.

Reply #434600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you can shoot the ring shouldn't be an issue.

Reply #434603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rhys Carter said they are the worst rings he's ever played with.

Reply #434620 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

a bad workman blames his tools

Reply #434621 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Rhys Carter said they are the worst rings he's ever played with."

The same Rhys Carter who's never shot 39% from the field or 33% on 3pts in a season in his career?

Reply #434623 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Here's some links Jermaine Beal Vs the crocs in 09

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/article/2009/08/17/71915_print.html

http://www.hoops.com.au/forum/20749-vanderbilt-vs-townsville-live-today/

Reply #434624 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Look at the stats, every player shot worse at Perth Arena.

Reply #434629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'a bad workman blames his tools'

So can good workmen. Doesn't mean the tools aren't shit.

Reply #434630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Look at the stats, every player shot worse at Perth Arena"

Bar 36ers players it would seem.

Reply #434631 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

"'abad workman blames his tools'

So can good workmen. Doesn't mean the tools aren't shit."

Great call.

I'm guessing that the Perth Arena rings have really tight suspension, which does make a condiderable difference.

Reply #434641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is this a budget import to balance Ennis?

Reply #434673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When the rest of your starting five could all potentially make NBL All-First Team, signing the 10th leading scorer in the Brazillian league who shoots 40% from deep sounds pretty good.

Reply #434705 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So what is our roster going to be? Have we got a list of names yet?

Seems like we have a lot of experienced players on the team - how does that affect the remaining players we can get? And who are the potential guys?

I'm not an expert but I know they have to conform to the player point system but how do you know who and what points get allocated where?

Reply #434825 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Knight/Jervis
Redhage/Wagstaff
Ennis/Hire
Beal/U'U?
Martin/Burdon

Impressive starting five.

Reply #434835 | Report this post

Is Perth Arena worse than the Razorbacks' rims at State Sports Centre? If the shot wasn't a swish it would clang.

Reply #434908 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:16 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754