Bear
Years ago

NBL wants stricter refs to put entertainment first

This was an article from yesterday I believe, it appears they are going with a 'tightening of the rules' policy...

http://www.news.com.au/sport/basketball/entertainment-first8217-new-nbl-mantra-as-colourful-former-ref-mal-cooper-appointed-to-lead-the-officiating-direction/story-fndkzqrr-1226715226217

Here is some of the article:

The plan is to deliver a more aesthetically pleasing and spectacular on-court product, moving away from the Basketball Australia-driven FIBA model of game, toward more of an NBA "entertainment-first" style.

There will be no substantial rule changes but stricter enforcement of existing rules, taking the game away from the mauling and holding wrestling style defences which have become so popular over the past two decades.

Not coincidentally, it has been during that time basketball has fallen off the mainstream sporting radar after peaking in the mid-90s.

Topic #32591 | Report this topic

Bear  
Years ago

If only this could be the case in juniors as well..?

Reply #435426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

good move.

Reply #435430 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The way the NBL was called was never remotely close to FIBA, this change will move it closer to the international game, not further away. Who wrote the article?

Would be nice to pick the best of the way the NBA, Euroleague, NBL and international game is called and create a mix, but that is probably a bit complex.

The best news is Mal Cooper says he will be giving a lot of feedback and instruction to refs and penalising those who don't call it the way they want, this is what's needed to get consistency. A promising move to clean the game up.

Reply #435431 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

Good to hear.How about give 3 points for a dunk...I'm not serious, but they do need to encourage an offensive game where players attempt to dunk rather than Gaze version of 'play it safe and get the bucket, don't worry about being flashy'.

Reply #435435 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Fantastic decision if followed through. It will be interested to see how quickly the referees and players adapt.

Reply #435441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People want to see high scoring and free flowing basketball.

40 min game should produce a score of 90 points per team.

They don't need to change any rules, just enforce the ones we have properly and consistently!!

Last few seasons the defence has been allowed to play with far to much contact. Contact On the ball handler is out of control, cutters are being held all the time, screeners are on the move all the time, refs seem to prefer to call a charge WAY to often because its a more sexy call, for them! And my pet hate, defenders showing out on an on ball screen can pretty much do anything they want to the dribbler then return to their player... The same level of contact would be called if no on ball screen...

Clean up the contact against the guards!! The contact on the bigs actually seems to be ok, let the bigs fight for position, that's how they like to play.

Reply #435442 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plus Bevo is gone who was a wannabe but lamer Goorjian sludgeball master so should be a sexier looking product with new head of refs.

Reply #435443 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Qusetion is can Hollywood keep his ego in check....

Reply #435444 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Apparently so far they've been stricter on the guards and away from the basket, but let a bit go in rebounding contests. That sounds reasonable to me - in a loose ball situation, you want to allow some hustle.

Reply #435445 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree that the bigs don't mind it physical, but surely holding your man in the key is not going to help us encourage the scoring and dunking we all want to see?

Don't penalise the big blocks, even with a little contact, but allow the big man to make some nice moves without being pushed, mauled and grappled for god's sake!

Reply #435446 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I'll third that. Physicality with the body is ok if in a positional battle, but the grabbing, pushing and checking has to go.

I don't think this will see a huge increase in scoring, but it will make the game cleaner to watch.

The defence and scouting is very good at the moment, so they will still find ways to make it tough for the offence. I expect average scoring to just go back to the low 80s, where it was for a number of years before last season.

Reply #435448 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, I only mentioned rebounding contests and loose-ball situations, not any case when someone had the ball making a move. I think they'll be pushing for what you're talking about.

Reply #435452 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a great idea and I hope holiday gets the Refs on with what the game is about "THE PLAYERS and SPECTATORS oh and rules"
Make the game as more about correct footwork on D. If they played the 3 second rule correctly to original design not the horrendous referee's choice of whats advantage and whats not would help as well.

The Refs need to get on board with what is important and that's regulating the game not controlling and dictating how players are allowed to play according to them.

Reply #435455 | Report this post

Andrew K  
Years ago

Reffing was good at Taipans vs Hawks game on Saturday, they only called one (blatant) travel, even though there was heaps of feet shuffling going on. Contact calls were pretty good, players learnt early what they couldn't get away with. Though it seems the refs were doing their best to let Hawks back into the game in the last quarter with some dodgy calls then. 50-50 calls went to the offensive team.

Reply #435465 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lets hope they let the spin move come back !!!

I miss those days

Reply #435481 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Spin move was allowed back last season, and about time too.

Reply #435482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The spin was never banned, only if it was a 3 step spin was it a travel, 2 step spin is and has always been a legal move.

Reply #435483 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It was effectively banned. I was told it started from Ian Stacker complaining about it one year at the pre-season meeting and refs were told to crack down on it, removing a great play from our league for a few years there. Apologies to Ian if that isnt what actually happened!

Reply #435485 | Report this post

Fm  
Years ago

Geoff Weeks is the best ref in Adelaide's NBL history. Closely followed by a few in his era. Calling everything wasn't their way, using their voice and punishing the player who did stupid things.

Best NBL was back then. I don't think calling everything will make the game exciting. Just call the FIBA game.

Reply #435487 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

that's regulating the game not controlling and dictating how players are allowed to play according to them.
Regulating but not controlling. Got it...

Reply #435489 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Glad to hear this is the intent. Hopefully the referees genuinely follow through on it and we can get some more spectacular basketball instead of the Gooorjian inspired grind that has dominated for the last decade.

I'd actually like to see NBA style illegal defence rules as well, which would open up the key for more post play, athletic drives and dunks.

Reply #435500 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I laugh at the generalisation that the past decade has been a grind! From about 98 to 00 was very physical and the past season and a half has been too, that's why change is needed just as there was in 2001.

But over the past decade I think the NBL would have the highest scoring rate of any of the top 10 leagues in the world.

Reply #435503 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

so if referees will be penalised if they don't call the game right does that penalty get removed from their pay for the game or accumulated and paid at the end of the season?

Good to hear Billy Mildenhall is employed by the NBL again as he was always my favourite referee

Reply #435515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Proud, you're a fool, While you're at work at McDonalds and you muck up an order when you're on drive thru duty does McDonalds dock your pay?
I bet they don't, its 2013, not 1867.

Reply #435526 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This needs to be filtered down to referees of all levels of basketball in this country. If it's done properly, the impact will be massive.

The question is will this influence the make up of NBL rosters in the future? Coaches might be less likely to select thugs and beef-cakes, providing more opportunities for people that can actually play?!

The NBA won't tolerate cheap shots or blatant holding of players, but will allow almost an all in brawl in a loose ball situation. The NBL is completely opposite where a ref will ignore holding or a sly elbow to the ribs, then call an unsportsmanlike on a player throwing themselves at a loose ball and collecting someone (fairly) unintentionally.

Reply #435606 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I don't see that happening. The NBA and Euroleague have the cleanest and most consistent reffing standards and yet physical strength and power are enormous factors in both comps (and low scoring games are common).

If you crack down on the hand/arm contact then body strength becomes more important. What this welcome change will do is allow players to show off their offensive skills a bit better, but it wont be a monumental change.

Reply #435611 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Paul, no doubt I don't see as much NBL as you do, but Perth has certainly been playing grind it out, ugly basketball for more than the last season and a half! Cairns has largely been pretty tough to watch for a few years too. About the only two teams I've enjoyed watching for a few years now are NZ and the Hawks!
Anyway, maybe it wasn't a solid decade of grind, but as a Sixers fan it sure feels like it!

Reply #435619 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Perth were anything but a grind, playing one of the fastest tempos in the league for some time. Last year they slowed a little as the whole league did, but they were not a grind it out team under Beveridge, they were a play fast team at both ends.

Of course, they did play overly physical, and that's what needs to change and Im glad the NBL is making some changes.

Reply #435642 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Always has been always will be a bitta body under the basket thats fine.But, lesser players shouldn't man handle better players.
Many times I've often wondered why the home team always gets the better deal. Like watching a movie when you know whats gonna happen , I just get bored
and more entertaining when ya don't know what's gonna happen next.

Reply #435673 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Well, I have been concerned about the way our game has been heading for a few years now so for me if this phylosophy of officiating to the rules (but in a common sense way) can be adopted throughout the whole country and at all levels I would be pleased.

Conversely, if it is not, and it is only the NBL, then what the hell are we doing here??

I we dont', then may as well just give up IMO, no way the AFL doesn't make sure rules are followed down stream into juniors.

So I expect some crucial decisions from the leaders of basketball in Australia to do the right thing here and make sure it is not just an NBL fad...

Reply #435705 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

...if we don't...

Reply #435706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guys its not that big a deal, really. In effect what will happen is the NBL will be called a bit tighter, end of story.

The other point id make is the game needs to be officiated differently as you filter down the line from the elite leagues (NBL/WNBL/SEABL) right down to domestic junior leagues.

The directives to the NBL panel have little to no relevance to junior basketball because the game at lower levels is officiated differently and more tightly in some areas and loser in others (eg travels in U8's etc).

You cant apply a broad brush to it.

Reply #435707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon 435707, this is a very big deal and could be a positive step for the game in Australia. Why should holding, mauling defensive strategies be allowed at some levels but not others?

Essentially we are talking about cutting out thuggery and allowing the occasional travel on a breakaway dunk. If this could be filtered down to junior levels, we would see an instant change in attendances and crowd enjoyment. Also, crowds might ease up on referees if they have the balls to call the fouls on the thugs that they currently let go.

Reply #435750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#435750 Every association and every competition in Australia has a Referee adviser or Referee Competition commissioner who determines the finer details of how they want their Competition officiated, i.e last year in BigV the spin move was not allowed, but in SEABL it was, (different commisioners).
It makes no different what Copper asks his NBL officials to do beyond what they've been asked to do in the past, they have no control over how Basketball is played elsewhere in the country.
This "thuggery" you talk of isn't allowed by the rules anyway, it makes no difference what the NBL want, those associations and competitions i spoke of will deal with it how they see best.
The State Referee associations have far more control over the state directives on rules than the National leagues do. In fact the NBL is now a stand alone competition with no direct association with BA anyway.

Reply #435777 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:40 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754