Anonymous
Years ago

The case for the 40 min NBA game

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9656369/the-case-40-minute-nba-game

Start your arguments...

Topic #32599 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

they could always reduce the amount of timeouts they have - isn't it something like 9 now, including 20sec timeouts?

and i'm pretty sure the regular timeout here is 50secs, there it is 1min 30 - the 20sec is actually 40secs - both designed to fit adverts in

Reply #435540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

aaaand, they would then have 1 less foul, meaning superstars would have to spend more time on the sidelines

Reply #435541 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Its a pretty reasoned article. Gives possible options and different expectations of outcomes. Seems to have some good data behind it. Wonder if we could get this sort of journalism/writing anywhere in Australia. (on an other note; where is Daniel Eade these days?)

I find the stuff related to the NBA being the most predictable of the pro sports in the USA really interesting, and the fact that it is the most skill determined.

Reply #435542 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

During the Finals, I timed a timeout in game 7. Three and a half minutes.

Reply #435554 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Sorry, should have said that was during the live broadcast too.

Reply #435555 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The timeouts are what drive me nuts. As I've said before, the AFL get their post-goal advertising opportunities without endlessly holding up the game. Basketball could take something from that.

Reply #435569 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Isnt it about a minute from goal to centre bounce? That wouldnt be much shorter than an NBL timeout once you factor walking in and out of huddle.

Reply #435572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they trimmed the fat off those timeouts, reduced the number of timeouts and, as a result, reduced the time it takes games to be played - there wouldn't be a need to take 8mins of game away!

Don't take away their best selling point ie the on court ACTION!

Reply #435575 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

The timeouts do my head in. The only thing I really hate about the NBA. Especially in those last 3 minutes of a close game. It's not enough that every 3 minutes there are "TV timeouts", but then coaches go crazy at the end. It needs to be changed, watching the NBA with non basketball people, they all complain about the constant timeouts. It's a complete turnoff.

As for the 40 minute thing, I understand the argument, but then things like career scoring records will be forever safe. I think it takes a bit of the fun out of it. I don't wanna see someone win the NBA scoring title, with only 21ppg.

Although having said that, if they keep all the TV timeouts, the star players will never get tired and could play the whole 40 minutes, therefore keeping their scoring averages up high.

Reply #435578 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

If they want to speed up the game, get rid of the jump ball.

Reply #435580 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Speed44,

If Adelaide win the AFL, and no one kicks more than 30 goals for the season from Adelaide - does it matter? I don't get the hang-up people have on scoring averages. It always gets argued here that fans will go to game more if a player is scoring 31ppg versus 18ppg. Never seen the logic in that myself.

(yes, substitute your AFL team for Adelaide if needs be...)

Reply #435588 | Report this post

pg  
Years ago

You are kidding, 48 minutes is real basketball

Reply #435590 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

Point taken and understood HO, though I wasn't talking about teams winning the title, more about individual scoring records. But then by the same token, I don't think it'd be all that exciting if the Coleman Medalist won by kicking 38 goals for the season.

Obviously it's all perception, and as I grew up with 25 to 32 ppg guys winning the scoring title, it's probably hard for me to imagine Durant winning the scoring title with only 19ppg. Yes, I get that it's a stupid hang up, but I think it could be something that might be difficult for some to get over.

I think it's exciting to think that maybe KD may one day take the league record for points scored in a career. That will never happen again once we change the minutes.

All this being said, I think it's inevitable that the NBA will change to 40 minutes. The games are too long, not to mention the international game is 40. As Dirk said in the article, it's stupid that there are 3 different ways the game is played.

Reply #435591 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

"I don't think it'd be all that exciting if the Coleman Medalist won by kicking 38 goals for the season. "

The games themselves won't necessarily be less exciting. If you enjoy watching all the games during the season, then it doesn't make sense to say "oh is that all he kicked? I no longer find it exciting" once the season finishes.

Reply #435598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

45 seconds is the time between a goal in AFL and the resulting bounce

Reply #435599 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Cheers.

Reply #435600 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

Again, I'm not criticizing or questioning entertainment value, just the historical significance of the stats involved. Of course the AFL games wouldn't be less exciting because of that, I'm just saying that in my eyes, the history of the Coleman would be tarnished a little with a guys name and 38 goals written next to it, due to rule changes.

I'll admit, I'm a stats geek in some respects, and I think stats play a huge role in the significance and fun of sports. Especially the American sports. The old statistical benchmarks are part of the folklore (if you like) of a sport.

So to clarify, I will still enjoy the games/league, but part of my enjoyment will be significantly changed.

Reply #435602 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBA games are absurdly long.

Reply #435610 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Perhaps everyone should just play 11 minute quarters...

Reply #435613 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I don't want to see court time reduced to 40 mins. It does throw out all the statistical records and is also 8 less mins of on-court action for me to watch. If they need to shorten the overall length of games, I agree that it should be via timeouts. There are way too many, making the last five mins of a game farcically long sometimes. Its that bad that more often than not I prefer to watch the games on delay now, so I can either fast forward through timeouts or wait until NBA TV has edited all the breaks out a bit later.

Reply #435623 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The breaks are good as it helps in having more windows to change over to check out other games with League Pass. Awesome when ten or so games are on simultaneously. You are wasting your time if you keep it on one game :)

Reply #435630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree with removing some timeouts. Would love to see none in the first half and 1 each qtr for the 3rd and 4th with a 20 sec timeout in the 4th as well. They can discuss game plans and adjustments during the half as well as receiving instruction/plays from the coach while on the floor and when someone is taking free throws, as they already do.

Would hate to see it reduced to 40min games. Take a lot of the strategy out of the game

Reply #435631 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

This post should be "The case for the 48 minute NBL game." Given we only play one game a week the fans deserve a little more court time, plus it would be good to see players averaging over 20 points in the NBL.

Reply #435632 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Don't mind the timeouts in NBA. Commentators always have something interesting to talk about, or show some cool interviews, or highlights of the game.

Absolutely does my head in though when it goes to ads.

Reply #435636 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It always goes to ads!

Reply #435640 | Report this post

Choppy Galopy  
Years ago

No more 40 minute rubbish please. This should be the first thing SEABL fix up before more people are turned off.

Reply #435753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

40 minute games are much more entertaining, and the level of play is much harder in 40 minute games.

In 48 minute games, no matter what, teams are taking plays off. Even in game 7 of the NBA Finals, teams are taking off plays.

The 40 minute game is clearly 100% a much better concept.

Reply #435938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ incorrect

Reply #436053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually, it was correct.

Reply #436184 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:39 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754