Sharod
Years ago

Oceania rule proposed for NBL

http://www.basketball.org.nz/news/oceania-rule-proposed-for-nbl/

For this rule changes in Aussie, I think it will improve the standard of the those local leagues. But maybe not for NZ leagues thou, because NZ players (ever pacific players) could move to those Aussie leagues and it may dilute the depth in NZ leagues. Welcome any opinion.

Topic #32602 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

I think NZ players can already play here as locals, or was that just the NBL and not lower leagues?

The same in reverse would obviously have a bigger impact on the NZ NBL. Would raise the standard of competition but likely take a few positions from locals.

Reply #435603 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I don't think its a major change.

NZ players were already allowed to play in the NBL as locals.

I interpret the article to mean that that now extends to the entire pacific.

So whereas, Fijians, Tongans and Samoans weren't able to play as locals, they are now entitled to do so just as Kiwis?

Obviously, they won't flood the league, but I certainly think there could be a few handy players out there with Fijian or Tongan citizenship

Especially in the college system, there is quite a few.

It will only increase as well, due to the success of Jabari Parker, Peyton Siva etc.

But I think its a good idea.

Otherwise, these players have no where to play. Because previously they couldn't play NBL/Australian leagues nor could they play NZNBL. Yet they aren't good enough to fill import spots anywhere in the world

Reply #435608 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think the difference is it extends to all leagues in Australia, not just the NBL. So your fruit picker in Griffith can now play as a local.

Reply #435612 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Paul, I believe you are correct - it now extends to all levels in Australia where previously it was just the NBL.

Reply #435615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

should include asian players.

Reply #435620 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I'd love to see more Islanders in our league given the success of Mika Vukona.

Some of them are quite athletic and would blossom with the right mentoring.

Reply #435625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Meh to Oceania.

Aren't we moving to Asia? I heard Boomers will play in the next Asian Basketball Championship or the one after. Something like that. paul?

Reply #435627 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Anon^, the Oceania region will continue to exist in it's own right, however from 2017 the Oceania and Asia zones will merge to form a new 'Asia-Pacific' zone for World Cup qualification purposes only.

Read more here -

http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/presRele/p/newsid/54422/presReleArti.html

Reply #435633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not shocked that we are claiming not to know about this proposed rule change.

Reply #494537 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

So according to that, it's definitely a request and not a directive (as claimed elsewhere), but the NBL is explicitly mentioned as adopting the rule.

Reply #494542 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FIBA Oceania
100 days to go! FIBA Oceania U19 Championships Competing Teams Announced

With 100 days to go, FIBA Oceania is pleased to announce that ten teams have entered into both the male and female divisions of the FIBA Oceania U19 Championships to be played at the Vodafone Arena Suva FIJI during 1-6 December 2014.
This is from the fiba Oceania website re un19 Oceania championships to be held in dec this year in fiji.

The last sentence states the pacific championships then qualifies the top two teams for the Aisia/Oceania champs 2017 Australia has always in the past used the pacific champs to send their un19 teams to a tournament for a basic first look at what they have. The last one held in dec last year in nz the Aussie teams played all senior teams, our Aussie women cruised through beating most teams by 70+ games! the men also didn't have much competition but lost the final to newzealand who were all senior men not un19 boys. My question is will we continue to send un19 teams to the pacific games or will we now take it seriously and send our potential world teams.

"These Championships act as the Oceania qualifying events to the 2015 U19 FIBA World Championships to be played in Greece for the men and Russia for the women in June and July 2015 respectively. With only one place up for grabs at the World Championships, the pressure is intense for Australia to defend their unbroken Gold Medal record in both men's and women’s at this event and live up to their status as favourites. When the event was last played between Australia and New Zealand, the 2012 Championships in Porirua NZL, 2014 NBA draft pick number 5 Dante Exum suited up for Australia showing the strength of the talent playing at this event.This is the first opportunity for many of the competing nations to play for a spot in the World Championships, with FIBA Oceania opening the pathway for all nations to compete last year. The rewards for the competing nations go deeper with the 2015 Pacific Games being played in Papua New Guinea. Many of these U19 players will be looking to get some solid international games under their belt as a way of breaking into the senior national teams. The recent announcement of the Gold and Silver medallist at the Pacific Games going on to play in the newly formed joint Asia/Oceania Championships starting in 2017 is a big opportunity.

FIBA OCEANIA

Last Modified on 22/08/2014 12:18"

Reply #494568 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:43 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754