hoopie
Years ago

Melbourne Tigers 186 def. Wollongong Hawks 158

The good old days ... http://www.sportingpulse.com/round_info.cgi?action=MATCH&fixture=369354034&c=0-189-0-232872-0&pool=-1

Do any of you remember that game?

Topic #32622 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Bit sad that it's showing on the same page as a 62-59 game.

Reply #436000 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Shows that we've come a long way since then, Isaac.

Reply #436014 | Report this post

Years ago

Deeefence..... Deeeefence.....

Reply #436023 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

I remember the game was in 1991. The Hawks had lost Norman Taylor for the season and were playing with one import, they were well out of playoff contention so decided on a run and gun style. Unfortunately for them Gaze (59pts), Colbert 42 and Simmons36 had huge nights. As a team the tigers shot 70 from 92 at 76%, the hawks were 58 from 129 at 44%.

Reply #436025 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I would have been at that game, my old man had a family membership to the Tigers that year. I probably wasnt quite old enough to appreciate what a freak night it was though.

Reply #436026 | Report this post

El Diablo  
Years ago

Paul the game was in the 'gong'

Had the game happened in Melbourne the press and crowd would have lost their minds.

The Tigers hooting% was what stuck out to me.

Only 8 threes to get the Tigers score was riduclous

Lets not forget in Sept 1990 a bloodclot almost killed him and less than a year later July 1991? he was back to his best

Reply #436056 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That prob explains why I dont remember it!

Yeah, one game I can remember was when Drewey had the blood clot and the Tigers were playing Nth Melb from memory. The TV kept crossing to him, either in hospital or at home etc, and his cousin Mark had the game of his life with six threes.

Reply #436058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was at the north melbourne giants game or magic, cannot remember the year. That night and remember the court announcer giving updates. It went along the lines of 'I am not joking, I am serious these are the scores'

Reply #436081 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

Interesting Isaac that together 3 tigers players outscored the COMBINED scoreline for that game you mention from last season that's listed above..

Reply #436100 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Gaze with a lazy 23 from 29 from the field that game. A shooting guard scoring at nearly 80% on 29 FG attempts is ridiculous.

Reply #436116 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

It was 111 to 87 at halftime

Reply #436121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is the style of play our league is remembered for and what we yearn to see once more. Fast paced and exciting. Over the last half decade we have had to endure watching a product we love while it was infected with a parasite - a rugby style set of rules - with officials who failed to police it. Here's hoping the planned changes return NBL basketball to what it once was.

Great topic by the way! Hope to see more threads where we can reminisce about classic games from the past. Drewey had another memorable moment with blood where he looked like a mummy.

Reply #436146 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:02 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754