TR
Years ago

Schenscher draft story

Article about Luke and the upcoming draft.

Link is:

http://www.ajc.com/saturday/content/epaper/editions/saturday/sports_24aa199416afd04b009f.html

article below as it is one of those pain in the arse gotta register before you read websites.

NBA DRAFT CAMP: Schenscher hopes size counts for something
Sekou Smith - Staff
Saturday, June 11, 2005

Chicago --- The 7-foot Australian center with the funky hairdo that everyone came here to see didn't arrive until Friday afternoon. Andrew Bogut made his predraft camp debut and endured a round of measurements and interviews.

Former Georgia Tech center Luke Schenscher, the other 7-foot Australian center with wacky hair, was here all week working hard with other draft dreamers. Schenscher didn't attract a fraction of the attention of his countryman, who's projected to be one of the top two picks in the June 28 draft.

Schenscher is just hoping to be drafted despite possessing the height --- he was the camp's tallest player at 7 feet, 1 1/2 inches with shoes on --- that used to guarantee a player a name call on draft night.

"There was a time when being 7 feet tall maybe was the end-all be-all, but it doesn't guarantee anything these days other than you having to buy long pants," said New York Knicks assistant coach Mike Malone, one of the camp's instructors who also worked out Schenscher during his visit to the Knicks last month. "Luke's a big guy who's going to have to get stronger physically, but he's already long, and we've seen him block some shots here, and he played under a very good coach in Paul Hewitt.

"But as I think he's probably realized, it takes more than all that. And I really don't think guys understand this until they get here --- it's very, very difficult to make an NBA roster. Guys walk around talking like, 'I feel like I can play' and all that, but we're talking about the best players in the world in the NBA."

Schenscher, the first high school player named to the Australian National Team, knows all about it. After his breakout performance in Tech's Final Four run in 2004, he tried out for the Australian Olympic Team with Bogut but didn't make the cut.

Bogut did, held his own against San Antonio Spurs superstar Tim Duncan and the U.S. team and parlayed an All-American sophomore season at Utah into numerous national Player of the Year awards and his status as a top pick.

Schenscher, meanwhile, had a solid senior season but never fulfilled the promise many predicted after he scored 19 points and grabbed 12 rebounds against Oklahoma State in the national semifinals his junior season.

He already has worked out for six teams and is projected as a late second-round pick, at best, by just a few mock drafts. But there's no doubt that a huge senior season would have vaulted him up the board and possibly into the first round, where contracts are guaranteed.

"Every team in this league is always on the lookout for bigs," Milwaukee Bucks coach Terry Porter said. "But with big men you're always wanting to see if they make strides from [season to season]. You have to see some growth in them to know that they're going to be all right."

Schenscher has no regrets about his college career or his development since.

"I feel like I've done everything I wanted to in college," he said after a game Thursday night. "We went to the Final Four and did some really great things. I'm pretty happy the way things have gone. And I've constantly worked on my strength, skills and explosiveness. That's all you can do is try and make sure you're getting better and improving your game."

Whether he's done enough to join Bogut in the NBA next season remains to be seen.

"Obviously, there is a whole group of coaches out there from all over the world," Schenscher said, acknowledging that his pro career could begin overseas.

Topic #3263 | Report this topic

what the  
Years ago

i agree with the comments - more body work please - luke often will try to reach rather than position - if he rectifies this the nba awaits him 4 sure

Reply #37670 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

hawks hold draft rights to aussie david anderson and there is a big chance he will suit for the hawks this year.

Reply #37682 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Cheeze,

Negotations are underway between Andersens agent and the Hawks. Andersen kicked some serious arse in the Euro Final 4 (or whatever it's called), from memory I think he got 20-odd points and about 15 boards.

I think it's all down to $$$$ if he suits for the Hawks

Reply #37691 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:34 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754