Anonymous
Years ago

NBL launch this Thursday

Can we expect any exciting announcements?

Or will it be:

"This is the launch of the "New" NBL and refereeing will be slightly different this season".

( I have a bad feeling that this is all we will be hearing/ seeing)

Topic #32636 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Why expect so much change? The "new NBL" is just a term to describe the change from BA and not to suggest huge, immediate upgrades.

What changed year-on-year in the past? Not a great deal.

Reply #436290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So this new Management/Ownership will be nothing different to what Rymarz, Ali, Burton, Sengstock, Keneally have done in the past (which is very little).

Surprise, surprise

Reply #436292 | Report this post

Nix  
Years ago

anon what are you expecting?

We're Australia not the NBA with 40 home games a year with 20,000 spectators a game. We don't have the budget to compete.

And to those complaining about back in the 90s, the 90s are our problem.

Basketball became too popular it forced the NRL, AFL, Soccer and Netball to wake and actually do something. So they stole our ideas, our programs and used their "aussie" position to get a lot more funding and media based on their already bigger base and blew us out of the water.

Reply #436295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"What changed year-on-year in the past? Not a great deal."

Isn't the idea of the New Entity to rejuvenate, grow the NBL?

It has been admitted that the current NBL is unsustainable, so if nothing is to change, then surely the NBL won't survive?

Reply #436296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Nix are you admitting that the NBL is doomed?

Reply #436297 | Report this post

Nix  
Years ago

The management model has changed.

It's up to owners to be responsible to the League now and not just their own backyard.

The change in refereeing philosophy is good but its just the start. Give it time and gradual changes for the positive will continue.

Reply #436298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What sort of changes are they aiming for in the future then?

Reply #436299 | Report this post

Nix  
Years ago

You're the one complaining, what changes do you want to see?

Reply #436300 | Report this post

DodgeTaylor  
Years ago

From what I had heard, I thought this year was about consolidating the league (making small changes) and there were bigger changes (in the scheme of things) to come next season.

Reply #436301 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

the New NBL board has passionate people like Richard Clark from the NZ Breakers on it so expect positive changes over the next few years

Reply #436303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've followed this league since 1993 and since around 1996 the NBL just continues to fall.

We've had:

"Marketing guru" John Rymarz
"Knows the product" Peter Ali
"Beach, BBQ and basketball" Rick Burton
"Knows the product" Larry Sengstock
"Can get the funding" Kristina Keneally

And not ONE of these individuals has made any significant changes to the NBL.

Crowds and Television audiences are nowhere near what they need to be for the NBL to be sustainable.

This new Entity MUST inject some significant funds into this League for it to survive.

Marketing has been appalling for years.

Are Steve Dunn and the other board members addressing these issues?

Reply #436304 | Report this post

FYI  
Years ago

Owners are already saving about $200,000 per annum under the model
That means less pain or alternatively more money to spend on promotions and marketing

Reply #436306 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Did Keneally ever actually state she could get funding?

Reply #436313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So let me ask you all this question.

Over the years we have lost: Hobart Devils, Newcastle Falcons, Gold Coast Rollers, Gold Coast Blaze, North Melbourne Giants, Victoria Titans, South Dragons, Brisbane Bullets, Geelong Supercats.

Channel 10 do not want the product.

Are you honestly all telling me that you think the current NBL is a healthy league?

Reply #436317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The simple fact is that although there has been a demerge from BA the main contract (TV) is still with BA and has 2 years to run. Until that expires things such as moving to 48 minutes cant occur.

The can however do slight cosmetic changes such as jump ball, time outs from the floor etc.

As long as they at least market the game this year that would be a start. Put that 200k back into the promotion of the game. I also feel like now the owners have their hands in their pockets that things will move more to a business model rather than a league administered competition.

But anyone who thought this season was going to be totally revamped is kidding themselves especially after the amount of time it has taken to actually demerge.

Reply #436318 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Are you honestly all telling me that you think the current NBL is a healthy league?
I don't think that's a critical discussion to have (in terms of judging management) in a transition year. The league isn't dead/dying or going crazy either. It's harsh judging different owners and players on a timescale where the sports and sponsorship landscape was very different or where they had no influence. Since some post-90s decline, I think the league has largely trundled along. Wish it could take the next steps, but I still enjoy the games and can't see it disappearing.

As anyone following with interest (rather than casual fans) knows, there are a few issues which prevent grand changes. And the hassle of the demerger has probably prevented an ideal crack at the marketing. I imagine they'll make organisational change, tweak the refereeing and see how that goes before doing anything bigger.

They know that Brisbane is critical to any hopes of a decent TV deal and that the $1m guarantee has seen off potential bids. So they'll contribute money to make sure it happens. I think that's fair. If clubs are saving some money through the demerger, that will also help a few teams leaning on community support.

Perth and NZ have shown what's possible and I think a performing 36ers will see much better crowds in Adelaide.

Things will still be challenging in Townsville and Wollongong at least.

But I found last season entertaining (and liked NBL TV despite its issues) and expect to find this season just as interesting. And I enjoy the game regardless of admin blunders or missed opportunities or brilliant advertising.

The management itself is out of my control. I can talk about the league, go to the games and take whatever interest I can from that. I can't plan their advertising, create their schedule, improve their website, do their stats, etc. (On the latter two I could do either, but it's not my decision.)

Reply #436344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Owners are already saving about $200,000 per annum under the model"

Why are owners already saving $200k a year, what's changed?

Reply #436361 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

They're not directly funding unrelated Basketball Australia expenses...

Reply #436371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think i read the owners paid a 200k fee to BA each year to participate in the NBL, so yea not paying that means they are 200k better off,

Reply #436374 | Report this post

FYI  
Years ago

That is only part of it
The owners now have money going directly into the NBL instead of it being funnelled out to other BA interests. for instance BA employee wages being covered as an expense to the NBL but not working exclusively on the NBL

Reply #436376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I had never heard of NBL teams needing to pay BA $200k a season?

All I knew was they had to provide a $1 million bank guarantee (which was watered down over time) but that wasn't the same thing as actually paying anything.

Would anyone else be able to clarify this? I just find it so hard to believe NBL owners would each give BA $200k a season only for them to almost point blank refuse to market the league.

Reply #436377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one seems to want to put any descent money into MARKETING the League... That is one of my main points. There is no excuse for this if they want it to succeed again

Reply #436383 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

They paid a competition fee to BA aside from travel expenses. I dont know exactly how much it was, had heard somewhere around the $100K-$120K mark. Some anon will know exactly.

Reply #436384 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No one seems to want to put any descent money into MARKETING the League... That is one of my main points. There is no excuse for this if they want it to succeed again
I agree that the league needs consistent, polished presentation and marketing is one part of that. But I will disagree on two points:

- there is an excuse, this season, if they figure they're better off making a stronger push next year after the flailing off-season
- sadly (giving them even less credit in recent years), the better bang for buck would come from things that can be done with even less of a budget than marketing, and especially TV/radio/print advertising. Good and consistent stats. Decent and consistent social media. Better relations with the media, making it as easy as possible for journalists to get info and easily write up stories. Simple and quick highlight videos, after every game and of every talking point.

The video thing is such a classic NBL example. Instead of top tens after each round or highlight reels from every single game that are easy for any semi-skilled kid to cut from existing footage provided by Perform, the NBL persisted with the more difficult, longer, comprehensive video podcast. I've watched hundreds of NBA highlights videos. I've never watched a video panel show on YouTube from that league. Which do you think the future NBL fans (12-16 yos, etc) are more likely to watch and send to friends?

Reply #436392 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Is the assumption about saving 200k or 100k based on the clubs contributing absolutely zero to a centralized administration?

Reply #436393 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I hate to nitpick (who am I kidding? I love it!) but it needs to be said that marketing and advertising are two different things. Advertising forms a part of marketing.
Isaac's examples of how they market the product properly (and this isn't just talking about the game itself) without spending a lot of money are spot on - fix the website, fix the stats, engage with the fans, whether it is on social media or continuing with school visits, do all those little things properly and that is effective marketing.
While Nick Marvin had the support of Bendat to spend decent money on advertising for the move back to the city, prior to that he was marketing the club well for years.
The two do go hand in hand but there is no point throwing decent money on ADVERTISING with tv and radio ads if people quickly discover that a click around the league's website continues to be an exercise in futility.

Reply #436394 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What exactly did Nick Marvin do?

Reply #436406 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Are you genuinely interested because it wasn't really the point of my post.

Reply #436409 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"What exactly did Nick Marvin do?"

Ask Vlahov.

Reply #436412 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

and Bevo

Reply #436429 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

Maybe they will announce this season's Dream Team!

But seriously Isaac I was wondering mate, if for example Perth Wildcats and Adelaide 36ers released rivalry DVDs of say 5 greatest wins against Perth/Adelaide, who would get monies for that?

Is it something that would go to NBL or those teams and lastly do you know who owns the royalties to old NBL games and is there any possibility that NBL.tv will be putting old games there for us in the future?

Thanks in advance

Reply #436454 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Proud, probably to those teams and whoever arranged it. Teams have game tape from simple cameras of games, or broadcast footage. Latter owned by TV co probably, but doubt they value it. They'd need to automate a production and sales system to make money. Doubt a great rivalries series would get enough sales to really be lucrative. Market isn't very big and you can't charge what you once could.

Would need to go almost all digital I think. Sell AVIs or streaming.

Reply #436466 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Sorry to drift off the usual path of whinging about what the NBL isn't going to do this season to take us back to the heights of the 90s popularity, but speaking of the launch, has there been anything actually announced, like a media thing, or fans meet and greet in the city or something?

I heard somewhere that something is happening on Thursday afternoon/evening, but for the life of me I can't remember where...

Reply #436475 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

Thanks so much Isaac with all the teams 'working together' hopefully they come up with something worthy of this loyal fan base

Reply #436583 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:46 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754