Nathan of Perth
Years ago

Perth Wildcats sign Drake U'u

Perth Wildcats sign Drake U'u

The Perth Wildcats have signed guard Drake U'u from California Polytechnic State University for the 2013/14 NBL season.

The 23-year-old grew up in Sacremento in the United States but his mother was born in Hobart - meaning he has an Australian passport and is worth just three points in the NBL’s player points cap system.

U’u is a versatile guard who stands at 192cm and weighs 97kg. He has trained with the Wildcats for three weeks and joins the team as a replacement for Mathiang Muo - who will miss the 2013/14 season with an Achilles injury.

U’u is very excited about the opportunity.

"I’m really thrilled and fortunate to be in this situation. I’ve worked really hard so I’m glad it’s all worked out," he said.

“I bring an all-round type game, I feel like I can play either the one or the two, or even the three if I need to. I’m hard-working and I’ll bring energy to both sides of the court.”

Wildcats coach Trevor Gleeson said after trialling with the team for three weeks, U’u has already established some good on-court chemistry with his new teammates.

“He’s been sensational. He has a great work ethic and the guys love playing with him. He is unselfish, he works hard and he’ll be a great addition to the team,” said Gleeson.

“He had an outstanding game against the SBL-All Stars last week so we are really happy that he will be joining us. He’s got a good basketball IQ and understands the game. He’s also physically strong and is very competitive on the floor.”

In the Wildcats exhibition match against the SBL All-Stars, U’u scored 13 points, grabbed six rebounds and dished out four assists.

In his senior year with the Cal Poly Mustangs, he averaged 5.3 points, 3.2 rebounds and 2.5 assists per game.

Drake U’u and the Perth Wildcats fly to Sydney on Wednesday morning for the NBL Pre-Season Blitz.

DRAKE U’U

DOB: 18 January, 1990

Birth Place: San Francisco, California, USA

Height: 192cm

Weight: 97kg

Wildcats Playing Number: 22

Topic #32637 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whats the go with knight? Getting a replacement? U'u is a good pick up for a 3point player! Overall a few unknown players but a solid team!

Reply #436347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bench of Wagstaff, U'u, Hire with Burdon and Jervis as 9th and 10th men. Not too shabby.

Depth

Martin - Beal - U'u - Burdon
Beal - U'u - Ennis - Burdon
Ennis - Hire - Wagstaff - U'u
Redhage - Wagstaff - Knight - Hire
Knight - Jervis - Wagstaff

Reply #436358 | Report this post

WestCoastWildcat  
Years ago

At first I wasn't sold but after educating myself further on him, he looks to be a nice role player.

I am a little worried about our lack depth in genuine size however.

Reply #436368 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

If I'm the Perth Wildcats, that insurance mob Youi should be ripe for a player sponsorship.

I also daydream of the Perth GM telling the player they cut for U'u saying 'it's not you, it's ... U'u'.

(Seriously: this guy's name needs to be constantly punnified and I'm volunteering for the job)

Reply #436545 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

Why U'u ...shakes fist at screen

Reply #436547 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I wonder if Billy Ocean invited him in to his car.

Reply #436548 | Report this post

Deimos 54  
Years ago

I cannot believe he had the option to sign for two years but his agent said one year would be best.

Reply #479466 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:33 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754