David
Years ago

NBL go back to winter?

Should NBL go back to winter? Cal Bruton certainly seems to think so. Bruton suggests fans are more likely to go to an indoor arenas when it's cold, then it's hot. He mentioned that the NBL should compete with the "big boys" in the football codes.

Before any of the Bruton haters jump on him. Andrew Gaze was against the very prospect over going to summer when it was first talked about it. Also the late great mike wrublewski also supported going back to winter, when he was considering buying the Kings license back.

The move to summer always seemed logical at the time. Don't have to compete with the Football codes for sponsors, TV/Media coverage and the fan base. But the league never seemed to see the benefits of it. I'd even rated it a step back by the outcomes of the decision.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/basketball/bruton-says-nbl-must-switch-back-to-winter-20130919-2u2ll.html

Topic #32697 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of course it should.

In winter there is only football to compete against.

In summer there's festivals, beach, soccer, cricket, etc etc.

Reply #437302 | Report this post

Dr6  
Years ago

We're also trying to compete with footy finals at the start of our season/preseason and competing with footy preseason at our finals. Definitely think we have a better chance competing against regular season footy.

Reply #437303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Eh, I enjoy going to the basketball in the Summer holidays around Christmas/New Years. My favourite part of the year.

Reply #437305 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The competition for TV time, media coverage and sponsorship money is much greater in winter, and any players interested in making the NBA or playing international basketball would pretty much be ruled out of playing in the league.

Apart from that I think it would be a big success.

Reply #437308 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But is media coverage harder in winter?

I dont think it is. Sure your behind four stores on football, but better than being behind soccer, cricket, motor racing, football finals, etc etc.

Reply #437315 | Report this post

Years ago

No - competing for TV, sports fans $, media all during winter AFL, Nrl etc. Summer is good only cricket and that is more irregular that Footy. Love a cold beer on a hot night. People go out more during better weather. Overseas players love our summer

Reply #437316 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

With no science at all, I would suggest that the combined coverage of those summer sports does not add up to the column inches that AFL gets in winter, somedays you get entire pages of the Herald Sun devoted to fantasy AFL.

Every friday night, Saturday night and Sunday afternoon is dominated by AFL/NRL on TV with every game live.

You simply cannot compete with that. The already shite NBL ratings would become super-shite in that environment.

At last in summer cricket's schedule is irregular, and football does not attract the ratings of AFL/NRL.

Reply #437320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So all the winter knockers explain this, when the NBL was at its peak in the 80's and 90's was it played in Summer or in Winter where it competes against the NRL and AFL..???

It can and has worked.

Reply #437321 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

I doubt the 'golden era' of the sport was due to the season in which it was played.

So many pro-winter people on here saying the start of the summer season basketball is competing with footy finals and the end is competing with footy pre-season pretty much sums it up.
If this is an issue for you, how do you think it will be when not only their pre and post-seasons run concurrently, but their entire seasons??

Reply #437322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not so sure about that back in the glory days the NBL owed it's popularity to the Jordan phenomenon and once he retired (again) in the late 90's was precisely when the popularity of the NBL dropped off.

Throw in the fact in the 90's the AFL truly became a national competition and has gone from strength to strength since then. Collingwood are even bigger than all of the NBL teams combined now.

Basketball in Australia was basically a fad in the 90's that is now no longer cool and given how little attention it gets in the media right now combined with very bad TV ratings the worst thing the NBL could do is go back to winter so it can compete with the AFL & NRL for exposure.

Reply #437323 | Report this post

David  
Years ago

[quote] Not so sure about that back in the glory days the NBL owed it's popularity to the Jordan phenomenon and once he retired (again) in the late 90's was precisely when the popularity of the NBL dropped off. [/quote]

I agree about the fad, particularity with Jordan before his first retirement in the early nineties. But NBL popularity started declining 1994-1997. Jordan retired and Channel 10 started playing NBL games at 12:00pm - 2:00am on Friday and Saturday nights. I remember people winging at the time about the decline of the NBL. It's only now that it's gone from gloomy to dire.

Reply #437325 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty simple really. The NBA was FTA on Channel 10 and the NBL leveraged that by having a Channel 10 exec (canadian) wanting to show it. It never rated. You could put a movie on then and it would rate more than the basketball. It never worked and Live to air wont. Delayed live sure.

Reply #437327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBA disappeared off of TV around about the same time of Jordan's second retirement too (98/99 was the last).

Reply #437328 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Dumb argument. Just because the NBL at boomtime was a winter competition does not lead to a conclusion that if you go back to winter it will boom again.

There is no foundation to the argument at all.

Everything has changed since then.

And that argument ignores the very basic facts, which are that the NBL MOVED to summer because it was DECLINING rapidly in its winter timeslot.

Reply #437348 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

It could work IF the NBL could secure sponsors, media and tv time 12 months in advance. It could create a buzz if the NBL could get the media to pay attention to the change and beat it up as a Basketball vs Football storyline. Only real issue however isn't so much the major football leagues, it's the fact there are state leagues which command so much media and money also

Reply #437354 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wouldn't be a season ticket holder if it shifted to winter due to the clash with footy. I love going to basketball games in summer.

Reply #437356 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

NBL is on the rise in AUS, just give it time. Everything will work out it just takes time!!

Reply #437357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Cal says Summer then it will always be winter.
3 Imports Cal had them in Canberra and still couldnt get it done.

Reply #437358 | Report this post

David  
Years ago

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!! I just said that this thread was not about bashing Cal Bruton. As it's not relevant to the discussion. And as I pointed out, its not just Cal that has stated this preference.

Basketball could still possibly find a market in winter though. Families who don't want their kids to play rough dangerous sports. Might take there kids to the Basketball.

Also remember I have found going to a basketball game more family friendly orientated. At a Rugby League/AFL game I have come across bad language and drunken louts. This is something I have not come across at a NBL game.

And finally a move back to winter may be what the Doctor ordered. I have not seen anything that suggests the Summer experiment has worked. And it was brought in 1998. After 15 years I think it's a fair assessment that it's failed. Benno "things will work out, it just takes time" frankly rings hollow.

Reply #437363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is what I have never understood. People say the NBL never rated on TV. Why is it then that Wildcats games were on at prime time from 93 to 95? All home games were live. Also, Saturday and Sunday basketball was aired at 12pm every week. Surely if it didn't rate, there is no way in the world that Channel 10 would have kept it on in prime time for all those years?

Reply #437365 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Winter will work if you program with common sense. No good having Adelaide fight with Crows or Power. However on the other night out of the 3, would give fans something else to attend which wont freeze you to death.

Leave xmas time for the family and one off events. Good time for NBL to run a blitz style summer series too.

Reply #437369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The other problem with summer is that we compete against NBA league pass!

Somany casual basketball fans I know dont want to watch NBL on tv/internet while NBA is on.

Move NBL to winter however....

Reply #437376 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

NBA is only at the same time as NBL for one game a weekend on a Sunday afternoon.

Reply #437382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't have to play either summer or winter.

Reply #437383 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think regular season from October to early-Feb is the way to go, with playoffs finishing the first week of March. That gives relatively clear air for start and finish.

The issue with that is a number of teams will have to play across two venues to fit their home games in 18 weeks, but Melbourne and NZ have shown that can be done successfully.

Reply #437386 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Although I have been an advocate of moving the NBL season back to winter, I wonder what would be of the SEABL, BigV and others state leagues if this happened?

It is a big ask now, yes I believe it would be better in winter but we may have left it too late...

Reply #437389 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

"Somany casual basketball fans I know dont want to watch NBL on tv/internet while NBA is on."

Lucky the NBL isn't planning to switch game times to 9am then!

Reply #437394 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Twitter is full of players and coaches talking very positively about the Blitz and the coming season, either because someone's got a gun to the head or because they're legitimately enthused by what they've seen and heard over the launch weekend.

And then every time, one of the past names pipes up with their two cents to a journalist, and suddenly that's a story of the weekend when it should be all about the games played and the talent and season to come. The winter argument has been talked over and over. It's obviously not going to happen for this next season so right now I think the best thing for the NBL is talking about what will happen. Leave the winter vs summer and 48 minutes and so on for the start of the off-season.

Reply #437402 | Report this post

Australian Stars  
Years ago

I thought the other reason for shifting to summer was so that every other season the competition was not having to be changed to allow players to go to the Olympics or World Champs? To shift back to winter then makes it difficult for teams to support Australian players in their team. Just as you may be coming to finals you could have your star player leaving for several weeks.

Reply #437421 | Report this post

Years ago

Winter would also keep.our wnba wnbl players away

Reply #437553 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Stay with Summer

Reply #437612 | Report this post

Rick  
Years ago

Reality Check. There is no chance of competing against football. When 80% the midweek news bulletin sports components are devoted to the injury status on mostly low level players there is no chance of breaking in to this. Summer provides the most opportunity to get some airplay. Cricket isn't on every week. Playing Christmas day and boxing day games when TV has nothing else to offer. Friday and Saturday nights with opportunities for families to attend at a reasonable price when the football isn't on.

Reply #437643 | Report this post

Ariel 87  
Years ago

Go back to winter

Reply #437653 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Stay with summer.

Reply #437666 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Don't change now.

Reply #437667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Re NBL v Nba to Paul and the Situation, the problem isnt that they are on literally at the same time but rather they are on in the same season.

With league pass now, the choice for some is to go to pay $25 plus parking, food etc for an NBL game or sit at home and watch OKC v Miami. Meanwhile in winter these people have nothing but footy to watch.

While I'm not saying that it's game, set and match in terms of building an argument for moving back to winter, it should definitely be listed in the cons column for summer and not so flippantly dismissed. It is another competing factor for the NBL to contend with that wasn't there in the mid 90s when the NBL first moved.

I personally think there is an argument to be had here but Isaac's point makes the most sense, that for all who care about the game now is the time for unity. Time to discuss this next offseason.

Reply #437668 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That might make some not want to go, but it might also make some want to watch more basketball. It doesnt threaten the existence of the NBL, whereas a lack of sponsors and TV does.

The popularity of the NBA certainly helped the NBL in the late 80s and early 90s, you could make the same case that the NBA not being very popular now hurts the NBL.

Reply #437670 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:34 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754