Isaac
Years ago

NBL TV situation update

Not a detailed update (doesn't mention live games), but here's what looks to be the latest situation:

Two NBL matches will be telecast on Network Ten this season and produced by the NBL, which will produce half of the season's matches and all of the finals series. The remaining games will be broadcast online under a pre-existing arrangement with Perform Media, a contract the NBL has been unable to extricate itself from.
Makes it sound like they're trying to get out of NBL.TV - I would hope that would be to do something similar themselves?

Keep thinking that the FTTP NBN would've been very handy for the NBL, enabling them to get great quality streams out of venues and to fans without needing to rely as much on deals with mainstream TV.

Topic #32701 | Report this topic

The Situation  
Years ago

Is that first sentence saying that NBL has "creative control" over the production of games on Ten? Is that different from previous years?

Reply #437414 | Report this post

Mark  
Years ago

The NBL producing their own games is new and must be a positive. They will have control over commentators, graphics, more interviews and features on players at half time breaks etc. Ten clearly did not care about these factors and did the bare minimum.

Interesting the NBL wanted out of the NBL.TV deal. Not sure why that would be? Perhaps they wanted to produce all games themselves?

Reply #437422 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Seems strange to me too. I thought they owned all content from that deal, so it just left them not getting stuck with production costs/hassle? Wouldn't have thought that new management should be trying to take on too much too soon?

Reply #437423 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Graphics - exactly what I was thinking. Why Ten decided that a floating sneaker would be a good design is beyond me.

Reply #437424 | Report this post

Mark  
Years ago

Exactly - they can make the games an advertisement for the league. Maybe they will even get rid of Carfino!

Reply #437428 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

NBL wants to produce all games themselves through International Entertainment Consultants who do the V8s. That's why they wanted to adjust/get out of a contract where Perform does it.

Strange they could swing Ten but not Perform to adjust the existing contract.

Reply #437433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok, so the games still would have been put on nbl.tv just produced by the NBL, that makes sense, very glad they were not looking to close down nbl.tv, which im a huge fan of as it for the first time enabled me to watch every game, and want to be able to do that for the future.

Reply #437436 | Report this post

Mark  
Years ago

I think it would be a pretty easy sell for the NBL to Channel Ten. NBL: "Would you like us to produce the games and all you have to do is hit play?" Ten: "Well since we don't really want to show NBL at all that sounds ok"

Reply #437442 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

From the little bit I heard, it sounds like it took a lot more than that!

Reply #437444 | Report this post

Mark  
Years ago

Haha I did probably simplify the negotiation process a little!

Reply #437447 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Your way makes more sense though!

Reply #437448 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Production or not, I suspect 10 don't want to show the games at all. Which is horrible given the trash networks are serving up instead.

Reply #437450 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Completely agree Isaac, it staggers me how the networks put on so much crap under the knowledge that basically nobody wants the NBL...

The way that quote reads, it seems like the matches shown on Channel Ten won't be shown on NBL.TV???

Reply #437498 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

As far as I know games shown on TEN will be shown on NBL TV however they will be delayed like last season.

Reply #437510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I emailed NBL TV today requesting to cancel my subscription. So far I have heard nothing.

Reply #437511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$99 this season, twas $59 (early bird) last season.

Very cheeky.

Reply #437519 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

As far as I know games shown on TEN will be shown on NBL TV however they will be delayed like last season.

I'm cool with that then. Hopefully the NBL produced product will be much better..fingers crossed.

Channel Ten's graphics were horrendous! Hopefully Gaze and Maher stay on as I love their commentary (not sure how others outside of South Aus feel about Maher, but i'm unashamably Maher-bias). Lachy Reid was good too, I know he's a channel ten personality but hoping he's part of it! Maybe a return for John Casey? :P

Reply #437550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All I know is Bill Woods won't be a part of, hosting the very ordinary 'Sportsfan Clubhouse' on 7mate.

Reply #437552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They emailed me back today and cancelled my subscription. The $50 deal was clearly a one off as they made abundantly clear at the time it was on the early bird sale. I cant recall anything about the rollover of automatic renewals however.

Reply #437584 | Report this post

ash0  
Years ago

It was definitely a auto-renew sign up, but considering it was $79 last year (post early bird price) it is a little disconcerting that they now appear to be charging $99 per year

Reply #437600 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

They have emailed people back saying it will be $79 for those who signed up on last year's early bird. I would suggest emailing them to be sure.

Reply #437604 | Report this post

Podge  
Years ago

I just hope 10 doesn't show the games at the expense of a replayed Cops episode from 1983......

Reply #437609 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Just to confirm with Paul, I just got an email saying that I will be charged $79 on my renewal date.

Reply #437614 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

Whatever happened to them charging $19/month last year?

As long as I can watch a replay of Wildcats games that I've just gone to see then I'm happy and seeing all other games this season as well will have me ecstatic!

Whatever happened to WNBL being on NBL.tv as KK mentioned last season?

Reply #437661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big Sexy good info thanks

Reply #437749 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Podge Cops began in 1989 ;)

Reply #437939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My payment of $79 has come out for NBL.tv, i didnt email them or anything and they didnt take out the $99 people were talking about, so all good.

Doesnt appear to be a need to cancel to avoid paying $20 extra or anything, in fact if you do cancel you may be struck with the $99 price when you re-subscribe.

Reply #438140 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:30 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754