Anonymous
Years ago

Club fees comparison

List you club's fees and any comments here as I'm trying to figure out where my money is going.

With the new Junior Season upon us I was interested to see what various clubs fees are for summer/winter season?

Are gaps in fees explained by better and more comprehensive services OR are they set merely to cushion Development Officer pockets as well as pay imports and/or to recruit players into the ABL side?

Topic #32715 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

A vast majority of fees goes on court hire. The rest on a vast range of things as you mentioned above - but court hire is by far the biggest spend clubs have.

Reply #437722 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

There's not much bait on that hook, but at the risk of putting burley in the water, I'll offer this. Norwood for U12-U18 charge $320 for summer season, which is around the mark for most clubs. There are a number of components that go into the jigsaw puzzle that is fees, but the three big ones are:

Court Hire: The most significant cost of a club. When you consider courts go for $30-40/hr (depends on a number of factors as well as if BSA subsidise the cost too), then with a squad (say two teams) that trains for say 3 hrs per week, then the cost of training is possibly $120/week for say 16 kids (not exact I know), so if the summer season is say 15 weeks, or 18 weeks training, then the court hire per player may be around $135/player for the summer season. That's around 42% of that fee.
BA Registration and Insurance: Let's not forget that fees also pays for registration with BSA and BA, as well as insurance. It would be completely irresponsible if kids were allowed to run around on court, get injured and then not have insurance to cover their medical expenses. Forget exactly how much it is, but this portion is important as players need to play with certainty that if injured they get the medical attention they deserve. I thinks it's around $20/player (TBC), but a crucial part of the fee.
BSA Registration: A fee per team registration goes to the governing body. You need someone to organise the competition, pay refs, do all the admin stuff, coach development, ref development. Don't know the exact current nomination fee, but a portion of that needs to be recovered. I know there are entrance fees as well for games that go to cover game court hire, refs, etc

I think those three portions of the fees would account for the majority of the fees.

There are other overheads like coaching directors and JDO's, but I think you'll be surprised at how little they actually get for the hours they devote to their club.

Reply #437730 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Jack do Norwood provide all the training sessions in those fees? Is winter any different?

I am guessing that includes GST so an element of it disappears straight to the government for general revenue purposes from which they help provide our wonderful facilities.

Reply #437735 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

They should. WInter fees are higher due to the fact it's a longer season.

Reply #437740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes Norwood provide all training sessios

Reply #437750 | Report this post

BearCat2  
Years ago

$320 for Summer??
What would Winter be then-- $440?
Some clubs charge a little more than $320 for the full 12 months.

Reply #437752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Foley doesn't come cheap.

Reply #437758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In VIC there is one year long (way too long) season, most associations charge around the low $300s for player fees.

There are a small few exceptions to this kind of cost I am aware of.

Reply #437761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BearCat2 - actually Norwood have lowered their winter fee so that it is about the same as summer.

Still, #758 you make a very good point!

Reply #437762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Easter carnival pays for foley and co

Reply #437766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, Easter pays for full time JDO.

Reply #437768 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Jack, are you certain BSA still provides insurance for the players?

Reply #437774 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I think it's BA that provides the insurance, but via the BSA rego.

Reply #437775 | Report this post

Years ago

Different socioeconomic areas can vary results here

Reply #437799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which clubs??

"Some clubs charge a little more than $320 for the full 12 months"

Reply #437823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rockets fees do not include all trainings

Reply #437832 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

please explain? Are players charged additional?

Reply #437833 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe the rockets charge a season fee for playing around $280 plus a per term fee for training at other venues ie St Pauls, Kings Baptist when Hillcrest in unavailable usually around $20 per term paid per player so add another $40 per season.

Lions charge a season fee $245 summer $385 winter includes fees for 2 trainings per week discount if paid early.

Reply #437852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

UniSA Basketball $90 per season summer and Winter.

Reply #437950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rockets have sometimes charged up to $30 per term for trainings, so can add an extra $60 per season.

Reply #438015 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:17 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754