Isaac
Years ago

Logan Thunder at risk of collapse, BA decision due

Basketball Australia became aware last Friday that the Logan Thunder's financial situation had deteriorated significantly, that the General Manager had resigned and that Logan did not have the capital to continue past October.
However, the WNBL Commission is aware that the proximity to the start of the WNBL season means that BA will need to take a decision by this weekend as to whether the Logan Thunder will be in a position to participate in the 2013/14 season.
Full statement from BA

Topic #32716 | Report this topic

Happy Days  
Years ago

Sounds like its on death row unless they get a quick cash injection....

Reply #437716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh No!

Reply #437718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's that mean for the Logan Players? Will they get a short opportunity to sign with other WNBL clubs before the commencement of the WNBL season? How could Logan allow this situation to get so bad just when the WNBL season is about to commence?

Reply #437720 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

And where were the accountants and auditors in all this? Surely it didn't only just happen - BA and Logan and their bean-counters must have known for a while.

Reply #437729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BA would not have known unless they had an outside audit done. Its VERY easy for a dodgy GM to hide facts hoping that something will come good.

Reply #437732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

makes you wonder what BA are actually doing, add this to the Crocs situation and they seem to be a little in the dark on the most fundamental of things

Reply #437733 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

ive spoken to a member of the board and they said the thunder will be there for the whole season and final details will be released at the end of this week. the person will ring me Friday which I will update here however he is 99% confident the thunder will be playing the whole 2013/2014 season. obvious some talks with BA have happened, however the problem is moving forward having a business model where the income coming in exceeds the expenses going out

Reply #437734 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That is always a good start to a business model!!

Reply #437736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL, sitiveni is clearly very savvy when it comes to the financial aspects of business

Reply #437737 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If you can help the Thunder with sponsorship, etc, the person to call is Jason Chainey on 0414 106 355.

Go sitiveni, go!

Reply #437738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Logan was a stupid place name for a national league team. Even though they are in the Logan area sponsors would prefer Brisbane.

Reply #437745 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

WNBL has been an arms race for a while.....it is amazing how clubs are so reliant in Australia on a benefactor or sponsor and if thing turn back or the sponsor can't make there commitments due to a change in the business enviroment it leaves our clubs exposed

Reply #437746 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

Isaac, I know Jason well as the coach. I have been a sponsor for years. Phil binder (outgoing GM) is a good friend of mine and he reached out and got me involved. We have referred a few business contacts onto Phil also and they have become sponsors too, not all cash sponsors. I can update in the last half hr, BA will finance a certain figure as long as we (thunder) have $200k in funds, all sponsors are looking likely to tip in more $, so we should be right for the 13/14 season. Also a name change has been spoken about and the name Logan maybe changed to a South East Qld or something else basically what Anonymous said about Logan v Brisbane for attracting more sponsors. We have a great squad this season and we are all looking forward to sitting on the sidelines at all the home games. Credit to all the sponsors for tipping in more money then they are contracted to do.

Reply #437759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Completely irresponsible for the Thunder to spend the off-season assembling a heap of high profile talent that they couldn't afford and then demanding everyone come up with extra money at the last minute to finance it all.

Reply #437760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"the problem is moving forward having a business model where the income coming in exceeds the expenses going out"

How did this guy miss out on a seat in Parliament? lol

Reply #437763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well he wouldnt survive in the Labor party...

Reply #437764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would certainly be a place for him in the Libs, Hockeynomics ain't gonna get it done.

Reply #437765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Logan should consider tearing up Riley's contract so they can pay the Australian players they have

Reply #437767 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

update for anyone that cares although you all seem more interested in attacking me. we are $90k short of the target we need. Jesse Williams the soon to be NFL star has urged the community to get behind the team and we are now receiving donations of $500 to $1000 from fans in the community. a big sponsor of the Titans has also expressed interest in financially supporting.

For your info too, that's what the thunder have done spent more then they earn, its also what the labor party did for 6 years and got a flogging from the public, obviously you very smart people on here understand that but many sporting organisations, businesses and the Labor party don't understand that.

Reply #437770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why not go to a community model like west coast waves who have one staff member that does everything, plus a coach then $50K a year to spend on players? That would save the club from folding...

Reply #437794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cause they would lose most games and no one would watch or sponsor them, just like the waves.

Reply #437802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keep up the good work sitiveni, I will donate a very little amount today (I'm poor) but I really want Logan to stay in the comp, all you baggers go jump, very few of you even support the league yet are happy to bag out teams, this is the second best women's basketball in the world and you should all support it now and then or just stay of the WNBL forum topics. GO LOGAN!

Reply #437806 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The Euroleague says hi.

Reply #437811 | Report this post

Sitiveni  
Years ago

Anonymous thanks very much for whatever donation you can give, it is all very much appreciated. It's people like you that will help get this over the line. Thanks again.

Reply #437848 | Report this post

Sitiveni  
Years ago

Hey guys please like the fund the thunder Facebook page and share it across your friends. It's very humbling to see kids donating their $20 pocket money and even pensioners giving $50. We have to make this work.

Reply #437849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Mod: Sniping.)

Reply #437854 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Bogut has chipped in $5000

Reply #437863 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Great stuff big fella!

Reply #437870 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good to hear they are considering a place name change sitiveni.

Reply #437877 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like if Logan do get to play this season it won't be with Ruth Riley in the team, One player has been dropped and you can only guess it would be the Player who has the highest dollar contract and wont be here for the start of the season anyway.

Reply #437970 | Report this post

Tmk  
Years ago

I wonder what the players think when they hear that kids are donating their pocket money to help pay for their salaries,

Reply #438018 | Report this post

SamCro  
Years ago

I would hardly think that this whole saga is the players fault. It's my understanding that Coach & Players had no understanding of the club's financial situation. The General Manager & Board of Logan have a lot to answer for IMO.

Reply #438019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Player salaries will have to drop or teams will fold in the future.

Reply #438026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great news on WNBL website that Logan have survived & will play in the WNBL this season!

Reply #438027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great news would be deciding that private consortiums in Australia won't work and yearly collapses of men and women's teams will continue until that time.

Reply #438028 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:34 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754