concnerned
Years ago

Former coach of SASI

Good to see Neil is helping the development of junior basketball in SA by going strait to Sturt and getting paid for individuals.

If he had any concern for the development of junior basketball in SA perhaps he would have offered to assist some of the struggling clubs ie Woodville, South, West.

Topic #32734 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ummmm it's great to still have involved!! Have you ever thought that maybe those clubs should approach him???!!!

Reply #438036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would he go out and help those clubs who bitched and moaned about him?

Reply #438040 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Neil is a Sturt man and has every right to return to his club. I don't know if any other clubs have approached him, but to expect him to coach at another club would be like expecting Fos Williams to stab Port Adelaide in the back and coach elsewhere. Could happen, then again Chrysler could be making cars in Adelaide again.

He might be sitting in a beanbag chilling, listening to Pink Floyd and say "hey man, I need a challenge" and Neil may be persuaded to coach at different club, but that club may need to provide him with a unicorn so he can travel to that club.

Reply #438044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack, yes he is a Sturt man, but can you name the two other clubs he has coached at in recent memory?

One of them was only a couple of years ago and he had a very successful Classics.

Reply #438047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^ Eastern - I think won Classics???
Norwood - I think won state champs???

Sturt, another coup in snapping the man straight up.

When will these other clubs stop with the conspiracy theories develop what they have and recognise opportunities to get in new people when they arise?

Reply #438048 | Report this post

Juno70  
Years ago

I get your point Jack, but...
Fos Williams left Port to coach South Adelaide in SANFL in 1960 and again in 1974 to coach West Adelaide. Wests was the club he started with playing over 50 games before being recruited to Port Adelaide.

Reply #438050 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

So, it is possible......

Reply #438051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack judiging by ur comments above i think uve been ridiing too many unicorns, listening to pink floyd ans enjoying puff; the magic dragon a little to heartily lol

Reply #438054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For your information concerned he has also done indies with players from other clubs because the players parents have ASKED HIM TO. I don't even think it was paid. Yes as a club we offer individuals in 5 week blocks and now he is RETIRED we have him come out. Clubs are struggling for a reason they are too stupid or proud to ask for help. Please name one instance when anyone has asked him for help and been knocked back.

Perhaps be concerned about why so called struggling clubs aren't working to get help.

Sort of blows a hole in your we work just as hard bullshit excuses doesn't it.

My old man is retired and what he does with his time is his business.

In conclusion "concerned" you must be really concerned as you have done nothing but spread falsehoods on the internet you anonymous troll.

sincerely

Ben Gliddon.

Reply #438077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who cares concerned really, Neil can go back to Sturt most of the association are happy the Neil assisting in SASI/TPI Quasi Neil feeds Sturt another clubs better players is over, he wasn't out to help the association then and isn't about to now.

Reply #438078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon, you do know that more kids in SASI moved FROM sturt than from any other club over the term of Neil's position as head coach.

So your lie based on you opinion is just wrong.

Reply #438080 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Congratulations Neil on your retirement and it is your right, like all of the other coaches, to be able to do individuals, coach a team if u so choose, assist a younger coach if u so choose and not be bound by the constant constraints of looking after all kids and coaches from multiple clubs and remaining impartial, which u have done impeccably
You do what u feel u will enjoy and Sturt are very lucky to get a coach of your calibre if that is where u end up
Time to ignore the jealous petty minded individuals that u have probably had to deal with over the years in your role of sa head coach and have the freedom to do whatever role you like
All the best and thanks for all the guidance and help u have given to coaches, parents, kids and for the green eyed monsters out there we have lost the best skills coach around and u obviously have no idea of what the man has done for the sport
Fellow coach

Reply #438085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We have had more kids move from our club to Sturt than vice versa to be coached by the SASI recruiters sorry I meant coaches. Neil overrides our clubs nominations for TI camp. Surely our coaches know who us best and not someone who never sees them play.

Reply #438087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry, you are wrong. Neil only sent out nominations as per places on the table. Not his fault that your club thought their 8th placed team deserved 6 spot when there isn't enough room for them all.

Reply #438092 | Report this post

Rasheed30  
Years ago

I guess things have changed since Neil coached me 20 years ago. I can't remember any other friends from my age group ever wanting or going to Sturt. Yes there was a lot of Sturt players in the SASI & state teams but not many really played state league after juniors. It always felt good beating them when it happened on the rare occasion too.
I can't remember being on his good side too many times over the 5 years we crossed paths and he did drive me nuts and boy did he have his favorites, but I'm thankful he didn't go with the players my club recommend or I wouldn't of been in SASI or played State.
If he's Sturt through and through so be it.

Reply #438093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Using the immortal words of Allen Iverson: "We talkin bout practice man".

Reply #438094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#080, actually that's incorrect, but it's a nice little story. Just because somebody told you that doesn't make it true.

Reply #438098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually there is a spread sheet showing it as a fact.

Reply #438100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually there is a spread sheet showing it as a fact.

Reply #438101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any chance of emailing that to [email protected]? I will independently verify that claim.

Reply #438104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No we nominated who we thought were the best based on our allotted quota but he overrode those nominations

Reply #438112 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not a chance of that happening. Nominations go the BSA.

Reply #438113 | Report this post

Years ago

it's about the "top" players not those that "want" to go.

get it right at your club and get noticed.

some clubs may run a div 3 standard div 1 team

Reply #438114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^Lol Div 3 standard Div 1 team

Reply #438124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

080/100/101 (I assume you are the same person)

Please stop with your little story. You are embarrassing yourself.

Reply #438126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am sorry. But it did happen. NG change the club's nomination for one person. Seems it matters who you know!!

Reply #438127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe ur club used that as an excuse for ur kid to not get invited.

Reply #438135 | Report this post

Years ago

anyway - who has put in for the position ? and how are the applications progressing ?

Reply #438136 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whatever you think anon. We nominated our people and didn't nominate a certain other who NG over ride what the club wanted.

Who has applied or potential. Names like Buckel, Kinsman, Butler and a few others from interstate.

Reply #438139 | Report this post

Years ago

wow - they are some good names and all capable - be interesting who the others are...

Reply #438141 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If it has happened ONCE - I would've thought that said more about the incompetence of that club/nominators than about the SASI program...

Reply #438161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can't be serious. I would suggest if he spent more time North of green hill rd he would have a better idea of what was happening!!

Reply #438211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His office and all trainings were North of Greenhill Road.

Reply #438220 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For ages we heard how the sasi program was bad, and how Neil had to go.
Now people are bitching that he isn't coaching at their club.

Is it just me or does this sound like people need lives???

Reply #438230 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pity he didnt venture out of his office then!

Reply #438233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well except for the 8 training sessions and state trainings he attended. Not to mention the National Championship or development tournaments.

Reply #438238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok I will buy into this. I have been involved for over a decade and I cannot remember once when he visited our club to watch either trainings or games.

Not sure what happened with the TI camp nomination but surely the club sees a player more often and is in the best position to assess players all round talents be it athleticism, skills, temperament and attitude.

Reply #438249 | Report this post

StillACat  
Years ago

That's not really his role. I'd ask u this. How many times did ur coaching director visit his trainings or ask him to attend ur games to watch a player. I did and he never had a problem with either of these requests.

Reply #438252 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good point but I wonder if a person in that role needs to be proactive or reactive.

Reply #438254 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty hard to get much done if you have to proactive. I think club's coaching directors (if they even have one) need to do their jobs. If not, they will continue to get the same results.

Reply #438255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Neil was happy to visit clubs if asked. I remember him visiting my club's training one Sunday morning and giving the coaches feedback.

Reply #438262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think what is being said is that the coaching director/coach did their job and he undermined their position by changing a nomination. You can't have it both ways

Reply #438269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

good to see Neil is doing what he wants in retirement and he wont be one bit concerned about the negative comments from f/knuckels on this site

Reply #439231 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:24 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754