SamCro
Years ago

Gabe Richards / Opal Consideration?

Is Gabe Richards worthy of Opal Selection? Very consistent year last year for Bendigo & is a big that plays to her strengths always & is super efficient IMO. I could easily build a case that she would be as equal value to Opals as Kayla Francis or Abby Bishop.

Topic #32791 | Report this topic

wyatt earp  
Years ago

Her form may force this like sharyn milner did - need physical posts to match the Yanks . Wonder if last night griffins first game and foul probs. Is cause we call it soft here?

Reply #438879 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Does she have the mobility for international hoops? No doubt about her ability.

Reply #438891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She was part of the initial squad that Joyce put together earlier this year before the tour of China & the lead up to the Oceania Championships. Unfortunately for Gabe, she ended up injured prior to the squad coming together in Canberra and was out with Plantar fasciitis for a period of time.
So she may well have got a chance to play for the Opals this year had it not been for that.

Reply #438902 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

At some point soon we'll need to replace Batkovic at the backup 5 position. When that time comes, Gabe would have to be in with a shot. Hard to compare her to Tolo (the other main competitor for the spot IMO) since they haven't really gone head-to-head since Richards stepped up to her current level.

Reply #438906 | Report this post

the old heave ho  
Years ago

kunek red hot form at present

Reply #438917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Alex Bunton has to be on the radar too I would of thought.

Reply #438922 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

I'd put her in for sure, even just for the experience

Reply #438959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For sure, Richards is better than Francis and Bishop. She has done a great job with her conditioning and is as strong as anyone under the basket.

Reply #439328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Richards is the best all rounded center in the league. Her problem is she is short at only 188cm and has poor athleticism.

If the Opals goal is gold then the key focus is to beat the USA. That means facing Parker, Fowles, Charles, and maybe Griner. They are all extremely athletic, strong, and taller than Richards.

We can assume Cambage will play the Center role, and I think outside the USA it makes complete sense to play Richards next to her. Richards is a strong rebounder leaving Cambage to run th floor for the cheap layup or put back.

Reply #439941 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

"Alex Bunton has to be on the radar too I would of thought"

LOLwhut?

Reply #439978 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:37 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754