T
Years ago

Under 14 Aust Club Champs Gold Medal Games

BA hasn't updated their website. No results for boys and girls championship games. Anyone know the results ?

Topic #32796 | Report this topic

m  
Years ago

Spartans won girls

Reply #438997 | Report this post

Mack  
Years ago

Boys : Rangers by 7 over Tigers, late rally but Melbourne never up in second half which is all I saw

Reply #439002 | Report this post

KSA  
Years ago

Girls - Spartans had a good win over Sandringham, and Sturt a hard fought win over F Eagles for Bronze. Well done SA Girls for having 2 teams finish Top 4!

Reply #439010 | Report this post

wyatt earp  
Years ago

Shows you how close it was Spartans only beat eagles by 1

Reply #439033 | Report this post

Mark  
Years ago

Who would have thought the CAirns MArlins Nearly got to Gold medal playoffs.
Small country town way up north.

4th is a great feat well done

Reply #439089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

QLD teams are usually not a club team as we know they are the best players from various clubs who join for this Championship. just saying

Reply #439604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That is the same for all states except SA.

Reply #439622 | Report this post

wyatt earp  
Years ago

And Vic and nsw?

Reply #439626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not ALL Qld teams do this - Southern Districts Spartans definitely do and are renowned for not taking away the team that qualified. I think the other Brisbane Metro teams occassionally do it for one or two players, Spartans usually "re-trial" for spots in the Nationals team. The regional Qld teams are okay.
The only other team I've heard of (in the distant past too) doing this was Melbourne Tigers.
I've never seen it happen with an SA, NSW or WA team (or any other Vic team). Tas teams aren't even club teams anyway (huge advantage).

Reply #439635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I understand Spartans added 4 players recruited specifically for the Championships after they lost the QLD title in a bit of a shock loss to Logan. Imagine if one of the Vic or SA clubs had done that...

That said, it is not the girls at fault, just administrators of "the club" - much like "the other controversy" from the National "Club" Championships.

The girls from the Spartans played a great gold medal game.

Reply #439654 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The myth that every state apart from SA is a combined team is right up there with the one about Victorian players being one year older.

Misinformed parents who keep these myths going year after year.

Reply #439655 | Report this post

Years ago

so to clarify - a player could finish home and away season with one team and transfer quickly to a team in u14 club nats and play ?

and then say transfer back again to their home club for next season ?

cant see anything that disallows this - just never came across it.

Reply #439660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the 4 added Southern Spartan players may have been recruited from FNQ, not clear on what club/clubs they may have came from.

Reply #439664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Players moving teams for three weeks to play at Club Champs should not be allowed. The players that are registered for that team for that rep season should be it. Teams should not be able to create mini state teams by recruiting players from clubs that did not make it, it is cheating.

Reply #439665 | Report this post

Years ago

so to clarify -

i play top divsion at a club - we plan to transfer to another club at the end of the home and away season.

my team does not make finals and u14 clubs are a few weeks after home and away / local finals.

I transfer immediately and the coach says your coming to club nats with us in 2-3 weeks.

I plan to stay at that club at least the next season.

Cant see anything that would disallow this - just not a common practice.

Reply #439672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not sure anyone from FNQ is genuinely transferring to Spartans, unless they're flying in and out every week?

Be like Sturt players playing fro Knox.

Reply #439718 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Or FNQ kids who are going to boarding school in the city.

NT are not club sides either. Won them the spoon, near spoon and almost a spoon

Reply #439783 | Report this post

Rex  
Years ago

You need to understand that the QLD teams qualify for the Nationals around March or April of the year that the Nationals are held.
They play State Champs in the April and the team then is essentially disbanded.
Around June or July Spartans then throw open all spots and re trial. There is an understanding that if selected for Nationals you will remain with Spartans for the upcoming Brisbane and State Chapionships season and in fact pretty much forever.
The transfers are 90% from within Brisbane and this is what causes a lot of grief between associations and disgruntled parents who see good players being lured away to play at the highest level available to kids of that age.
The team that won at Nationals was 60/40 Spartans originals but all those kids are now playing u16s at Spartans.

Reply #440270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rex S.A Teams also play around that time of the year in their state Champs, and now that Nationals are over they all if upper age, go up to U16s as well.. but they dont change their teams like QLD do, or retrial as you put it... JUST SAYIN.

Reply #440437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So are you "just sayin" the Spartans cheated?

Reply #441554 | Report this post

B  
Years ago

I don't like it. It should be the team that qualified back in April that goes to Nationals. What about the poor kids that helped get them there and then they don't get to go because other kids from different clubs are brought in.
Spartans best 2 players were no.10 and 6. Anyone know if they were originals?

Reply #441757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Word is that spartans also tried to lure player or players from the other 2 teams that qualified.

Reply #443514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Holly Cow time for Sack Spartans threads IMO

Reply #443534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They saw it all as a bit of a giggle that they could openly get away with it, makes a joke of the Championships.

Reply #448001 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:50 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754