Thoughts
Years ago

Leilani Mitchell as starting Opals PG?

An idea would be to have Leilani Mitchell as the starting point for the Opals?

Topic #32833 | Report this topic

the queens corgis  
Years ago

she born in states ? mum aussie - how does that all sit eligibility wise ?

Reply #439702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She will have a good chance as long as Kristi can't be talked into playing on for one more Opals campaign.

Reply #439704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What connection does she have to Australia? None.

Unless she plays in the WNBL beyond this season for another two or three years and wants to switch alleigances which is unlikely.

Reply #439707 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

I doubt it will happen, and given her lack of real connection to Australia or Australian basketball I don't know that I would want it to happen anyway. I'm kind of proud of our record of not signing up foreign mercenaries to our national basketball teams.

I'll say one thing though. She would probably start for the team if she was eligible. Her size is an issue and she's not a great defender, but she's still a quality PG and can hit the 3 point shot - which is something the Opals definitely need right now.

Reply #439713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She has full eligibility to play for Australia From the time she became a citizen actually I believe with her indigenous back ground she would be classed a very strong connection to Australia

Reply #439715 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Good point.

Reply #439726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From the small amount I know about Leilani's story I definitely wouldn't be calling her a foreign mercenary. I'm sure as the season goes on her story will be told which i personally look forward to.

Reply #439731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She's hot

Reply #439733 | Report this post

wyatt earp  
Years ago

She is not indigenous - Asiatic / Pacific heritage I understand - check her wiki

Reply #439738 | Report this post

wyatt earp  
Years ago

Lelani is very pretty and so is the French girl Isabel on Canberra roster

Reply #439739 | Report this post

Thoughts  
Years ago

She would be a welcomed asset to the Opals squad.

Mum was Australian and she doesn't count as an import, as Dandy already have two americans.

She can ball.

Reply #439748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It says that on her wiki but there's an interview profile on the New York Liberty website where she says her mother is an Indigenous Australian. Not that it really matters.

Would be nice for the Opals to have a pg with a decent, consistent jumpshot

Reply #439759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cute

Reply #439772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just at Sydney rangers game BA better beg Mitchell to play

Reply #439787 | Report this post

Years ago

+ 1

on my opals list

Reply #439825 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

http://i.imgur.com/FkRDJEs.jpg

Reply #440826 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Story about Leilani that the ABC ran during the Game of the Week coverage on Saturday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5L3wTpYc_w

Reply #441173 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Leilani on ABC News Breakfast:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-11-29/wnbl-player-leilani-mitchell-joins-abc-news/5124476

Reply #447568 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:52 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754