Anonymous
Years ago

Kings vs Tigers, Oct 13

Feeling an upset here,

Tigers by 6

Topic #32849 | Report this topic

paul  
Years ago

Brad Rosen talking as fast as he used to play! Kings doing some nice things with their disruptive defence.

Reply #439990 | Report this post

#45 hoops  
Years ago

pity walker didnt get that alley oop.
Also, why is garlepp centre? Shouldent a.j be there?

Reply #439992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Commentators need to changed, painful stuff.

Reply #439997 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wortho stepping up and Morrison and Tomlinson looking good. Don't rate Sydney's imports at all!

Reply #439998 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

Not wrong he is talking crap on crap on crap

Reply #440000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rosen needs to take breath or keep it down to less than 100 words a minute

Reply #440001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thought calling all the hands fouls etc was supposed to lead to higher scoring

Reply #440002 | Report this post

Sammy  
Years ago

Ugly game of basketball today

Reply #440007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This game was called 200% differently by the umpires than any of the games! Could it be due to the fact that Heal and Anstey have been public wingers on twitter about the calls? I was amazed how physical the play was compared to the 36ers and wildcat game on Friday! Inconsistent umpiring is going to be the talking point this season I can sense it!

Tigers missed a go to import and goulding down the stretch. I don't think Ubaka is the right fit and maybe a rushed decision from the tigers otherwise they would of won this game easily.
Sydney's imports are role players and I dont think u can waste 20 points in the cap on role players if you wanna win the league I don't care what Aussies/NZ players u have you need someone who can create and score out of nothing. Ogylvy played well and looks like he can be be up there for mvp

Reply #440008 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Was an ugly game compared to the other 3.

I liked Rosen.. However as the game got on he did talk a whole lot.

Reply #440013 | Report this post

Moneyballer  
Years ago

Sanders and Carmouche did not score well at all but did their jobs. Sanders filled the stat sheet with 6 ast and 3reb, and Carmouche did a good job holding down Pace

Reply #440019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So many people happy to criticise the commentators. It's a personal thing for sure. Rosen talks that way, they knew that when they hired him. But the critics here would freeze. if they had to call a fulll game on TV. Tired of it.

Reply #440020 | Report this post

the fox  
Years ago

Moneyballer, Carmouche just looked like he did not adjust to refs well enough (and fouled out).

But I wonder, in respect to Sanders, how forgiving and patient Shane Heal is. He does not strike me as a very patient or forgiving person.

Reply #440021 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Rosen talked too quick and talked a lot, but he'll watch the tape and get better, he's just a rookie.

Reply #440022 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Rosen's has been employed to talk more than Carfino...simple

Reply #440025 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

At least Rosen knows his stuff. And yeah, was his first game.

Reply #440026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ever spken to Rosen, Paul? The whole family talk like that.

Reply #440027 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

I thought Rosen was good.Slow down a little and cut to the chase.Knows Hammer inside and out

Reply #440029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have to agree with some key points.

1. Kings imports are not in the same class as most of the others in the league this year. Kings can't make a run at title with this group.
2. Ubaka isn't the right import for Tigers. They must change before it's to late...
3. The refs are going to be under massive pressure to implement the new rule interpretations with any consistency.

Reply #440035 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

Key points from the games
For Sydney Harveys still got it. Madgen looks like hes coming back and is still finding his way. Ogilvy is legit. Sanders isn't a scorer at all but can distribute ok still a little iffy on him. Carmouche was terrible though and will be inconsistent, think he will be gone once Madgen gets back to full health.
For Melbourne once Goulding comes back I'd bring Ubaka off the bench and start Tomlinson as Ubaka holds the ball too much. Tomlinson has improved and isn't a Ben Allen haha. Worthington was good and I think Morrison is solid.

Reply #440040 | Report this post

Sammy  
Years ago

I can definitely see madgen forcing stupid shots up in weeks to come and becoming very frustrated due to the injury holding him back.
Aaron Bruce a better PG than both imports.
Hill was back to the hill we all know n love today. Ridiculous attempts at penetrating to the hole, but then great work mopping up on the offensive boards.
Wortho was disappointing into the third.

This game was very ugly. Hopefully the cobwebs have been blown out

Reply #440041 | Report this post

Sammy  
Years ago

Until the third **

Reply #440042 | Report this post

Bowtie  
Years ago

Pre season we have been hearing that Kings are under the salary cap....again. Hard to comment on team selections especially imports when you don't know how much under they are. Heal talks about only keeping 4 from last season. Wheren't they already signed for another season anyway?

Reply #440046 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

Bowtie agreed who knows how much they're getting paid Ogilvy wouldn't be cheap I know.
Another reason why I don't like the points cap as there is two seperate caps which teams have to bide by. Go one or the other.

Reply #440052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is one cap the teams have to abide by. The points ca that's enforceable the salary cap isn't. That may go next season and then we get back to the cheating ways of old.

Reply #440055 | Report this post

Bowtie  
Years ago

Do they have to abide by the points cap?
I mean do they have to use all the points?
I doubt it.
They are both MAX caps, salary and points.
Madgen and Ogilvy would be close to half the
salary total.
The membership numbers for basketball are disgraceful everywhere but Perth.
Where are the supporters from the Goorjian days?
I guess they were spectators not supporters.
How many tickets were given away in those years?
Gone are the days when NBL players in Perth, Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide always had a pocketful of tickets (cheap seats) to give to kids and businesses that may continue the interest.
These days, even paying the booking/printing charges, per ticket, are too much for the clubs to give away. If there's anything I hate to see, on a tv game, are the pockets of empty seats. Efforts used to be made to have the areas on camera always well stocked. Kings have a lot to learn from the old days.

Reply #440059 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

He was speeding along, but I like his comments and knowledge. "The refs over called it at the Blitz, but will back off, now."

Some players are still grabbing off the ball, and pulling at shorts and singlets, even though this is all getting called now.

Reply #440073 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Do they have to abide by the points cap?
I mean do they have to use all the points?
I doubt it."

Do you have to abide by the speed limit then?

Reply #440076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brad Rosen was quality. Very knowledgable about the game and speaks well. Can't believe people are finding fault with him when you compare him to ex-players commentators like Tony Ronaldson and Kelvin Robertson who can't speak properly and are clearly out of their depth. Ronaldson is the worst as he can't even construct a sentence, it is painful to listen to.

Kings looked awful and are lucky they faced a depleted Tigers.

Reply #440084 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Ronaldson and Reid were really bad last Friday. They seem to have got caught up in their own jokiness and do it for the entire game rather than every now and again which used to be entertaining.

In fairness to Reid he is kind of hung out to dry because Ronaldson is meant to be providing expert comments but gives very little.

Provided Rosen watches tape and makes some adjustments I think he will be a very good commentator. He needs to stop explaining every ref whistle though, we could see it was an armbar!. At the Blitz he did a great job talking about different strategies in the game and I didnt hear a lot of that yesterday.

I would like to see Jeff Van Groningen back doing special comments too, he was very knowledgeable and well spoken, and like Rosen you could tell he actually followed the league.

Reply #440085 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Get your point, Paul.
Unfortunately, to use all the points probably means use all the salary cap as well.

Reply #440090 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

JVG shouldn't be allowed anywhere near an NBL court ever again.

Ronaldson was terrible and brought Reid down to his level , then beat him with experience. I bet on road trips he was the guy nobody wanted to room with

I also think commentary has a large impact on the TV ratings. Great sports have great commentators attached to them. Carfino should play the Reggie Miller role in adding something every now and then and shouldn't be the load carrier on broadcasts.

Reply #440098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think commentary has almost no impact on TV ratings whatsoever.

It doesn't matter how bad the numerous AFL commentators are their fans and a lot of neutrals will continue giving their games high ratings.

Reply #440099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NO team has to use all of the points. Their choice. If you can use all the points and not spend the salary cap is the point. Some clubs chose to spend less tan the cap but either way the cap spend is never able to be checked officially.
if you give away a seat, it's nothing to do with the cost of printing nor booking charges. There is a fixed cost per seat that the clubs buy and may chose to give away. That has never changed.
JVG commentating? No enuf sepos doing that now. Who ever does it will be criticised by some people. Carf's done it for years and continues to get it right. Rosen, will learn. Pleased to see they went outside the box. Maybe MM could get a gig ;)

Reply #440117 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

@099
Dunno about that, I know a number of people will avoid Brian Taylor games.

Reply #440119 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Sorry, but you are wrong re give away seats.
Altho not sure for this season, give away seats have definitely had a charge in most clubs when they are dealing with Tickatek or TicketMaster.
Venue owners have staff numbers working according to number of tickets issued.
Why would a venue have only half it's seats filled when they could have issued them to numbers of juniors and their parents etc?
When we were given tickets to cover entertainment by kids at half time, we were always told it was too expensive to issue them to parents and siblings etc. One per player and one parent.
With NBL players doing school promotions, why don't they give some away then?

Reply #440120 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"It doesn't matter how bad the numerous AFL commentators are their fans and a lot of neutrals will continue giving their games high ratings."

NBL is not AFL, it doesnt have the ingrained place in the culture like aussie rules has down south. Commentary is crucial, if they dont add to the experience they are taking away from your product.

There is a reason people enjoy the NBL game night experience a lot more than the TV product.

Reply #440123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

a "free" ticket will cost a club between $3 and $5.50 dependent on the deal they have with the ticketing company. if a club was to give away 1000 seats it can be a costly exercise. it only makes money if the recipients buy merchandise or buy a ticket to another game if they enjoyed it.

Reply #440126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is a reason football/rugby are ingrained. They're are sports most Aussies care to watch. Hence why a BT or any other shit commentator won't stop AFL/NRL games getting big ratings.

Most people prefer attending live concerts to watching dvd's of their favourite bands/artists too.

Reply #440127 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Wow, came in here to discuss the game, looks like I was too late, what thread is it now?

Heal is on the record as stating that the imports won't be superstars, but do their role... We didn't see that too much this last game, but we did in the pre-season, so hopefully there are a few more games like that in the bank than recently, especially for Carmouche as with the front court depth, I have always been of the thinking that when Madgen is back and healthy and especially if Harvey continues to stay healthy and on form, he might be looking for employment elsewhere if he can't perform...

Reply #440137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Harvey staying healthy is like Burtson staying healhty. Unlikely.

Reply #440139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So many ockers commentate Australian sport. The reason why it is accepted is because many viewers are ockers themselves so we all have to suffer for it.

Reply #440162 | Report this post

Money Traveler  
Years ago

This game looked quite ugly, i don't think i'll watch the rest on nbl.tv. From my short look, Brad Rosen was ok. Better than previous night in Townsville.

Reply #440168 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

Brad Rosen was excellent but if I'm going to criticise the commentators it's that Rosen should be the play by play caller and Carfino the special comments!

Having Carfino (great player) ask Rosen (role player) questions just felt wrong. Gaze is a great special comments man and I think he would work well with Rosen.

Good game and Wortho was simply special on the 3rd quarter.

After the first round the only player in my dream team I'm not sold on is Johnson from Breakers but after their double header this week I think he has to he replaced!

Great round of NBL

Reply #440286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Carfino might have been a good player but Rosen knows the game infinitely better than he does.

Reply #440298 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:16 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754