matt
Years ago

Ben Simmons commits to LSU

Ben Simmons has committed to LSU according to this ESPN article
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/basketball/mens/story/_/id/9823563/no-4-recruit-ben-simmons-commits-lsu-tigers-2015

Topic #32862 | Report this topic

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Wow interesting choice.....thought he would have gone to a bigger bball school as LSU haven't been on the national stage since the NIT in 2009 and the roster doesn't look that great moving forward.

But if he is planning on 1 & done then it ight fit with the longterm goal

Reply #440205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He should have gone to a blue blood like Duke, UNC, Kentucky, etc. NIT = sub top 68 team in the country. Not even getting that status since '09 means the program is a joke. This makes less sense than if Exum went to St. Mary's.

Reply #440213 | Report this post

daneo  
Years ago

Not really Anon..
*His god father is the assistant.
*Guarenteed Starters mins.
*SEC is strong conference that get national exposure
* Good basketball history - Eg Shaq/Marrivich current
*Other High School team mate has joined him

Makes some sense to me.. More sense then exum to St Marys..

Please not let him turn out to be the next Anthony Randolph ( former LSU grad) Long left hander who excels in summer league and preseason games just cant break through in nba season.

Reply #440232 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

David Patrick seems to have a lot of "godsons" among the top ranked young basketball players in Australia. See Patty Mills. I believe he got in trouble both as an assistant at Marys and as an NBA scout for the Rockets for shady dealings. Good get for LSU but they better make sure to dot all their i's and cross all their t's.

Reply #440233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do you think David Patrick would be willing to become my godfather?

Reply #440234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you are in Australia, 16 or 17, and a future NBA prospect, I'd assume he already is!

Reply #440237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #440238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dave Patrick is involved in "waste management"

Reply #440253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Daneo, virtually the same counter argument can be made for Exum.

*While not his "godson", I'm sure Exum is familiar with Marty Clarke and his AIS/Boomers/NBL resume.
*Exum would have more than guaranteed starter minutes - he'd be the guaranteed star even if he showed up midseason
*Saint Mary's has a better history in the last decade than LSU - at least 5 tournament appearances plus a few NIT's and has put two Aussies in the NBA
* Exum would be playing w two high school team mates in Dane Pineau and Emmett Naar
*SEC is definitely a better league with more exposure but Marys still plays Gonzaga and BYU and has a better shot of making the tournament than LSU

In short, Simmons decision makes as much sense as Exum committing to Marys - none whatsoever considering the better options that were/are on the table

Reply #440254 | Report this post

Aerius  
Years ago

Patrick wasn't involved in the St Mary's recruiting issues

http://www.wbrz.com/news/ncaa-confirms-david-patrick-not-involved-in-findings/

Reply #440255 | Report this post

daneo  
Years ago

Anon,
If he wants to be drafted at the highest possible spot choosing a program like LSU over St Mary's would assist a top class recruit. Playing in a stronger conference, against stronger players and still getting starters minutes. The respect for WC and virtually no TV coverage is very low and can only hurt your draft stock(number 3).

Reply #440259 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Hope it all works out ben, couldn't believe it when i saw it!

Reply #440265 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think most people would expected him to choose Kentucky or Kansas, but it actually looks like a smart selection, especially announcing early.

LSU has 3 top 100 recruits coming in this year including 2 PF's and a PG. They have signed another top 100 recruit, Elbert Robinson, for 2014 as the C spot as well as Ben's PG team mate from high school.

If that keep most of that group together, it gives Ben a chance to play more SF than PF and keeps him out of the post if Robinson isn't one and done. Also by announcing a year early on his intention, gives LSU the chance to try and get some shooters and slashes to play around the group the already have committed and coming in for years 2013, 2014 and 2015.

I also would of assumed that LSU promised they would make him the cornerstone and run everything through him as I wouldn't have imagined the other programs doing the same. The big schools will always get talent but more want players to run their systems, not re-write their systems for the players.

Reply #440269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

terrible choice as LSU is not a great program, its good but not GREAT. Given he had plenty of choices he has picked a easy one. They are a very average college with a pretty average NCAA record. They dont even rate highly in their conf so you have to question the choice.

Reply #440277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mate, I'll concede that the SEC is stronger but I think you're giving that a bit too much weight. LSU is an SEC bottom feeder and has been for years. As far as exposure, they play as many ESPN games (5) as Marys does this season. Marys has made the tournament (what college ball is all about) 3 times in the last four years. LSU has not been in an NIT in that time frame. They are a bad basketball program and Marys would have been easy favorites had they crossed paths over the last few seasons. If you want to play in a strong league and have the offers, play for a strong team in the league as well! Simmons to LSU is just flat out dumb. I'm not advocating for Exum or Simmons to Marys, just saying it is just as much of a head scratcher to pick LSU.

Reply #440281 | Report this post

m  
Years ago

Anon, i think you need to realise that LSU's past history doesn't matter. What matters how the team will be when he is there. Currently they have three top 100 recruits already (More could join now that they have Ben) making it a much better team on paper than St Marys could ever hope to have. Secondly have you ever thought that maybe his goal is to play in the NBA and playing on a team with 4-6 elite level players at a Kentucky/Duke could lower his stock whereas being the standout star on a team in a conference with a much bigger TV contract in the states could boost his stock. I do agree with you that a Coach K/ Calipari coached program would be hard to pass up but I think your judging LSU on their past teams without evaluating the talent that they have coming in.

Reply #440289 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Guys both LSU & St Mary's are poor choices for both Exum & Simmons!

LSU simmons will be a freshman whom teams will target and put all there defensive efforts into so it will be tough for him as he won't have A grade talent around him!

St Mary's shouldn't be on the radar as they are a mid-major in a weak conference with limited national expousure, they target recruits like Delly who aren't getting chased by the large programs and hope to develop them, but in the main top 50 talent doens't go to St Mary's for a reason!

Reply #440290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There may have been better school "names" available for Ben, but I think the situation looks promising.

The coach who coached the last 4 years at LSU is gone. Sure, they have a new coach who previously coached at North Texas for the last 11 years, but does have a winning record.

LSU has sucked the last few years, but in 2006 they were a NCAA Final Four team that had Baby Davis and Tyrus Thomas, so not sure you can label them as always a bottom feeder.

If LSU can get enough talent together during the window that Ben is at college, they should be a good contender. Looks like they have signed 6 very good players. Probably only 2 more short of a very solid team.

Also, has anyone else noticed that Jonah Bolden has gone into the ESPN top 100 for 2014 at #70 .... and LSU is on the interested schools list …..

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/188999/jonah-bolden

Reply #440293 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

There was always a big chance of him landing at LSU. Whilst not a trsfitional power school, I think it could be a really good situation for him.

Reply #440296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

m, if history doesn't matter then Simmons might as well have gone to some no name university. The fact is he was one of a handful of Aussies in history with carte blanche offers from all the top dog schools. It is a travesty he did not take advantage of the opportunity. Marys is a mid major in a weak conference - granted. I'm simply trying to point out that LSU is a very questionable choice by making the comparison. They are not on TV more than Marys. They play Kentucky and Vandy four times a year and get waxed. Marys plays BYU and Gonzaga and wins at least half of these games. They do not play on college basketball's biggest stage - the NCAA tournament. Marys has been there 4 of the last 6 years. A basic roster search shows Marys has two players who were ESPN top 100 in high school: James Walker and Joe Coleman. They also had another top 100 signee, Cullen Neal, for 2013 de-commit at the last minute when his dad took the New Mexico job (unforeseeable circumstances aside, that would have made 3 top 100, same as LSU) Hint: top 100 recruits don't always pan out - See Kentucky and their #1 recruiting class last year for reference. History and program strength matter a lot and David Patrick should never have more pull than Coach K!

Tiger Watcher, top 5 talent doesn't go to LSU or Marys for a reason!

Reply #440297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the people hating on David Patrick need to be reminded Patrick was the key to St Mary's Aussie talent. First was Mills, then Delly, Mitch Young, Clint S, Jordan Page all have contributed in SMC going to the tournie. If you think these kids would have committed without Patrick being there your kidding yourself.
Why didnt Greenwood and Drimic commit? Patrick wasn't there.
Now look at the recruits Dane Pineau?? Haters going to hate but SMC aren't going to get another Mills or Delly for a long time and Patrick was the KEY to the recruitment.
Big get for LSU and the recruitment since Patrick has been with them has improved significantly. They will be a very good team in two years time.

Reply #440306 | Report this post

Luke  
Years ago

Why else would DP get a job straight from being suspended from the NBA? Because he could land Simmons for them. Saw this coming from a mile away.

Its the way it works with the high majors and when nba talent is involved.

Remember Beasley's AAU coach being hired at Kansas st?

Reply #440308 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Maybe there's more to his choice than minutes and who's at the top of the game right now? Just throwing this out there, but possibly personalities and such have impacted his decision too. It could be possible he wasn't comfortable with the people at the bigger schools, or LSU offered slutty girls, or a BMW?

Reply #440310 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LSU fans VERY happy: http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/p/45383526/2015-5-SF-Ben-Simmons-commits-to-LSU.aspx

Reply #440311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #440325 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clint S was not very good at St. Mary's. Pineau is at least a good as a prospect as Young was coming in. Adam Capeorn and Daniel Kickert started the Aussies at St. Mary's over ten years ago, long before Patrick was there. No doubt he helped recruiting, but he was hired there for the same reason he was hired at LSU - to sign a single specific player he was close with. Doesn't bring much to the table coaching wise.

Reply #440326 | Report this post

Rav  
Years ago

ESPN Insider Write Up:
---------------------------------------------------------------
Why he committed: Since the moment Simmons, an Australia native, landed in the United States and Montverde Academy in Florida, Jones and assistant coach David Patrick have been on him. All of the major programs offered him or were soon to offer, and he had his choice of colleges. When it comes to recruiting, it's hard to beat long-lasting relationships. In this case, Patrick is Simmons' godfather and played with his dad, Dave, in Australia.

What he brings: Simmons is known for his scoring. rebounding and passing. His skill level is advanced, and he is really strong in the weight room. Watching his game, you see his fluidity as he runs, shoots and handles the pass. Simmons has a high basketball IQ as he understands angles on defense, moves without the ball and understands spacing -- aspects many prospects don't learn until college. He rebounds in traffic with length, bounce and strong hands. His vision and unselfishness make him a facilitator, and which at his size make him unique.

As a forward he will shoot jumpers or drive from midrange. Inside, he scores with bounce and a quick move or with the savvy to pump fake a defender off his feet. "People talk about his offensive game -- which they should -- but after working with him on defense, he can be very effective with his defensive versatility and strength," Montverde coach Kevin Boyle said.

How he fits: With this much talent and potential, Simmons will fit anywhere on the floor. Jones can put him anywhere in the paint or facing the basket, which is where he is most comfortable, and he will produce. Look for him to be involved in ball screens and dribble handoffs on the perimeter, with the notion to stretch out a defense or pick it apart. Defensively, in any man-to-man schemes he will guard in the post with the IQ and agility to bang or switch and go outside to 17 feet and challenge big perimeter offensive threats.

Reminds me of: A bigger version of Manu Ginobili. Both are left-handed, fluid, skilled and possess excellent vision. Ginobili is a far better 3-point shooter, but both players are excellent on the drive and can pass well.

How LSU's recruiting is shaping up: In the Class of 2014, the Tigers just landed true center Elbert Robinson and guard Jalyn Patterson, who also hails from Montverde. Robinson gives LSU power and size inside with a nice touch, while Patterson makes big shots. Remember, Patterson nailed the game-winning jumper as Montverde won the prestigious National High School Invitational last spring. LSU also brought in a top 10 national class in 2013. Add the 2014 haul and Simmons already in the 2015 class, and LSU could be knocking on the door for an SEC title -- and a lot more.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Reply #440330 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

Thanks for the ESPN write up Rav!

Reply #440459 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:43 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754