Spinner
Years ago

Sixers Vs Hawks - Sat 19th

Game day at last!! Looking for a 20 point Sixers win to kick off a successful home series. Ervin for a triple double in his first home hit out in Sixers Blue

Go Sixers!!

Topic #32893 | Report this topic

HoldenV8  
Years ago

With Gibbo back and (possibly) Frye, I tend to agree we should win this one comfortably.....but the Hawks have a bad habit of upsetting the apple cart no matter who they play.

If DJ and Big Red can exploit their height advantage it could be a long night for Davidson, Forman, Coenraad, and Shane Harris-Tunks (the tallest player on the Hawks roster at 6'11" (211 cm)).

I won't be there tonight (no money), but I would be willing to bet that Mitch Creek gets the loudest cheer during player introductions.

Interesting fact: Despite the 36ers haveing a clear height advantage with the Luke and DJ being 7'1" and 6'11 respectively, the average height of both teams works out to - Wollongong 197 cm, Adelaide 196.5 cm (DP's not counted).

Reply #440837 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixers don't guard Gruber and Forman very well from remembering past games. If Rotnei and Timmy C can chip in a think the hawks can give the sixers a run for their money.
I expect adelaide to win but I wouldn't be surprised if hawks get up.

Reply #440839 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They didnt guard them well under those poor excuses for pro coaches last few seasons.... time have changed quickly and dramatically.

Reply #440840 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I think we will see Wollongong lead for some period of the game but if Adelaide win then it wouldn't surprise me but I am not expecting to have the blow out or that Adelaide will be cohesive a unit as the posters above believe.

thanks HoldenV8 for that stat... love the random shit

Reply #440842 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

J. Frye making his debut for Adelaide,
doing it the New York way,
shaking and baking.

Reply #440850 | Report this post

crowd ?

Reply #440851 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

it's been a fun game to watch so far... feels like an even league after last night's results

Reply #440854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

nice crowd, nice intro. way to get the house rocking.

frye, Ervin, creek solid.

2 techs really won the game for us cos free throw % wasn't great but never cant fault a win.

Love it #36erNation

Reply #440859 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Great effort on the crowd 36ers Nation! Congrats on the win.

Good to see a much more competitive performance from Wollongong as well.

Reply #440865 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

crowd was 5800 odd. Good game because of the result, but concerned that we let it be that close. Good signs from Frye, BJ and Ervin. Creek also had a good night.

Reply #440867 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think if we were able to get something out of our bigs this would have been a much easier win. Frye kinda moves like Paul Pierce but with less of a shot, seems flat. Good signs from Creek as well that he seems confident with his recovery.

Reply #440868 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Good crowd Adelaide!

Reply #440869 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

A great game for the firs home game. Hawks were never going to be easybeats and I thought they pushed the Sixers to the very end. The Ginger Fox at his best.

#36erNation - great to see so many tweets on the screen

Crowd was fantastic - better snap up a season ticket while you can.

Creeky looked sharp, but Frye was the winner IMO. He was a sleek as a cat walking along a tin fence. When he drove to the basket, there was never any doubt he was going to score. Gibbo had a duck egg at half time, but waited for the second half to score.

Can't wait until the next home game.

Reply #440871 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

5800 is a good number. Well done to Adelaide!

Reply #440878 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Official attendance for last nights game was 5,815.

That has already beaten last seasons highest Adelaide Arena attendance of 5,309 (a 70-69 loss to the Taipans in March), and the largest crowd at the Adelaide Arena since 6,194 saw us lose 72-67 (again to Cairns) in January 2012.

Reply #440882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder how long it's been since we've had that many to a home opener? Quite a few years I imagine?

Reply #440883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good first up performance ....creek looked real good tonight loved his intensity

But Christ if he could hit a open three he would of had 30 !

Reply #440884 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I had a lot of people around me I didn't see last season. It was good to see some familiar faces back.

What's the story with Larry's haircut? Every year its a new one. Did he lose a bet? Is he trying to pickup? While on the subject of "Gong players - what's a Gong team without Zac?

Reply #440885 | Report this post

Dazzman  
Years ago

Is it just me or is Larry Davidson the most underrated big man in the league? He played a lone hand early on. Kevin Tiggs is a good find for the Hawks and Rotnei Clark was very classy. The 36ers found their groove after half time and it was nice that we had a number of guys making big shots down the stretch. Most impressed with Creek and Frye. We all know Ervin is very polished. Great game and very entertaining.

Reply #440887 | Report this post

Money Traveler  
Years ago

Clarke looks like a player despite a terrible shooting night. Hawks will be dangerous with him firing like we've heard he can.

Reply #440891 | Report this post

Money Traveler  
Years ago

Was that a career high 3's for Ervin? 36ers will be tough if he shoots the 3 ball like that all year.

Reply #440892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looking forward to the next 3 away games. Cairns is a hard one, either they are on song or aren'tand our record is woeful up there. Melbourne away, another 50/50 but you'd suggest Melbourne. NZ is winnable given they aren't the powerhouse they have been. Might be a tighter match than most predict. Id be happy with 2 out of 3, but shouldn't drop all 3.

Would be awesome for crowd numbers if we manage a few road wins coming up for Sydney in 2 weeks time. Will hold my breath

Reply #440894 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Loved BJ's never give up under the basket and going it for his boys...... Wahoo guts and glory...

Reply #440895 | Report this post

Moneyballer  
Years ago

Rotnei Clarke is a very poor defender....
I loved the way BJ played, Ervin destroyed Clarke, Creek versus Frye for the starting SF spot and Daniel Sims in the warm ups...... Dayuuum!!!! A lot to look forward to for Sixer Fans.

Reply #440896 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Anyone know what was up with Ervin in the 3rd (I think) when he received some attention from Dr Ng and was holding something to his nose for a while? Was it just a blood nose?

Reply #440902 | Report this post

ricey  
Years ago

Was a great game. Creek came out strong for his return, BJ was a work horse as expected, Ervin was Ervin, Frye was somewhat of a silent assassin, DJ was going to the ring strong as we've all been wanting, etc etc.
Crowd wasn't that enthusiastic at the start (the speakers/mic seemed really fuzzy for the MC) but came on strong in second half, and certainly made an impact. Seemed like we had more than 5800, then again with the West stand tucked in that probably has something to do with it.
Jack, where's my beer?

Reply #440904 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

left the court by referee decision - so must have been bleeding

Reply #440905 | Report this post

36reasons.net  
Years ago

I thought something happened with Ervin's eye- turned out he chipped a tooth which cut his lip.

Reply #440906 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Ricey, I was looking for you at half time. Southern stand, western end.

Reply #440907 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

Never was a fan of Rupert Sapwell as a player but damn he was funny on commentary a few times to start the game.

Seems a better commentator than Brett Maher, even though he is pretty insightful too

Reply #440917 | Report this post

ricey  
Years ago

Was south East. Ah well

Reply #440939 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Surprised there was not more chatter about this game. A few years ago a game like that at the start of the season would have had 120+ posts. Are we still so scarred from previous seasons we are waiting to form any judgments?

Reply #440953 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

I think loads of supporters are trying to stay positive. I can't believe no one has raised the issue of no programs !,,,,, for me that point of entry dissapointment at the gate led me from an excited mood on the way to the game to entering the stadium and looking for 'what else !'. So, the fact no one has raised this is showing there is talk but no one wants to discuss the negatives and are lying in wait to see if the great things about Sat continues. Having said that, ADELAIDE please stop worrying about how you look and behave and let loose and cheer on your team, get into the MIami Chant, Sat was pretty good but let's do it better and stand up and cheer every goal and lets start getting ...Ri-SIXER-lous...........

Reply #440963 | Report this post

Grovermi$ter  
Years ago

Loved the new intro video prior to the player annoucment but IMO the video needs ot be played just prior to tip off as we then ahd a 3 min player warm up where everyone was just waiting and it lulled after the initial pump up of the crowd...

Few teething issues like all new ideas but definitely a better direction than previous years...

anyone else notice they had the next home game advertised as SATURDAY the 3rd not SUNDAY the 3rd...

the player/coach interviews up in the Apollo Bar after the game were good but i would like for them to ask the coach what he DIDNT like about the game... gives us as supporters something to look at for what they need to fix...

The reason Creek took so many 3 point attempts is because he was told to... and ALL the players are told to if they are open and don't take the shot they will be introuble...

Joey's philosophy is i would rather you take 10 open shots and miss them all then be open for 10 shots and not take any... which is something that ahs clearly been missing since the phil smyth era...

was fantastic to see such a passionate coach... up by 6 less than 13 seconds to go and almost getting a tech foul... love the passion!

And not being afraid to make subs for best defensive players and offensive players downt the stretch...

Hawks are ALWAYS going to be a team that wins or loses from the 3 point line... IMO the only thing that kept them in the game!

Bring IT!

Reply #440965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Skip: The Miami Chant is a great idea but the low-frequency soundtrack was pretty painful (literally) in our area and certainly distressed many fans. Also, I'm not sure that the old speaker system could take it for long before it completely falls apart! Is there a better soundtrack you could use?

Reply #440966 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Plus, J.Frye passed ALL those to Creek who was open. Pretty good out there after several seasons in hell. While only last season we won three (3) games at home. a little bitta verbal after BJ fouled,
last season we wouldda run away.

Reply #440982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sixers partnership with fresh fm is probably helping alot too. they are targeting the appropriate market i think, and they are getting alot of air time on fresh too.

Reply #441006 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Anon - Will look into it. Cheers.

Reply #441007 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

The last time Adelaide drew over 5,500 for their home opener was 2011-12 when we lost 102-69 to Perth in front of 5,683.

Our line up that night was:

PG - Chris Warren
SG - Nathan Herbert
SF - Stephen Weigh
PF - Wade Halliwell
C - Daniel Johnson

The bench was Tom Daly, Darren Ng, Jan Warbout, Mitch Creek and Nathan Crosswell.

Only DJ and Mitch are still on the roster, though Warbout is still listed as a DP and Ng is now Dr Ng.

Reply #441008 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Biggest crowd in over 2 years then. Sensational. Hopefully we can still get well over 5K on a Sunday too for the next one. Another double header too.

Reply #441009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Already looking forward to Friday nights Taipans/36ers game on One.

Reply #441013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am unfamiliar with the Miami chant, but the game I saw a couple of years ago lacked atmosphere until the last quarter when the stadium filled.

Maybe the Duke University model would be a better proposition. Where the smallest stsdium in college basketball(9500)has the best atmosphere. But I don't think I could stand all game.

Reply #441177 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:29 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754