Anonymous
Years ago

NBL wants to double the amount of teams

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/nbl-goal-is-to-double-the-teams-20131021-2vx4b.html?rand=1382389387437

Thoughts?

Topic #32911 | Report this topic

curtley  
Years ago

With two divisions Yes, otherwise No.

Reply #441134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How about trying Gold Coast for the THIRD time ;)

Reply #441135 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Good, good....

Reply #441139 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Wait, in the next FIVE seasons??

Reply #441140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The points being are:

1) Let's have more teams, provided they are financially secure. And who would argue with that?

2) If over 5 years the league grew to double the current number, that wouldn't be a bad thing (provided (1)). And who would argue with that?

Reply #441169 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

I think double is definitely impossible if they want sustainability. Also with 16 teams they would have a very watered down league talet wise or they would need to up te imports

Reply #441170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the demise of the supercats, chargers, rollers, blaze, giants, hunter pirates, cannons and a whole host more sadly set a precedent that in past glory days, the NBL couldn't look after these clubs plus the current ones and ensure their financial viability.

I just cant see how it will take off. somehow they need to emulate the success of the Hyundai A-League and make plastic fantastic then people get on board.

Reply #441172 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

The discussion here should be about why the new CEO is making these sort of statements and how judicious that is, rather than debating any merits.

Brand new in the chair, limited background in the game, and a league still teetering (which everyone knows).

Why put yourself in a position of being ridiculed in a years time if Townsville are still shaky or in four years if there does not look like being any new teams?

Reply #441185 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A lot of the teams did not fold but were culled by NBL as they thought Channel 7 would sign a deal with them. Clubs like Supercats, Rollers were booted out.

An eight team league is so boring can't wait for more. Play each of the fifteen teams twice for a thirty game season. Currently playing each one four times sucks.

Reply #441188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Supercats, Rollers and Devils that should read.

Reply #441189 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Melbourne, Sydney & NZ SHOULD be able to sustain 2 teams each. Throw in Brisbane & another team and you are almost there

Reply #441193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

12 would be perfect. High standard, high interest. 16 is diluting it a bit.

Reply #441195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can sustain places like Geelong, Gold Coast, Hobart, Newcastle, Canberra if they accept they will always be nearer the bottom half of the ladder than the top. Back in the 90s these teams knew it would be a struggle each season but accepted it and were happy to have a team. Many forget back then there was less parity with all the capital city teams dominanting and how they would barely lose against the regionals (except for Kings who would choke all the time lol).

Nowadays however every team including regionals who can't afford to pump in way too much money which results in these franchises dying (e.g. Cairns with the O'Brien money and GC most recently).

Reply #441197 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

A new CEO comes in and makes positive statements about expansion and starts to sound like someone who has a vision beyond that of the length of his contract, how refreshing good on him.

Of course we need to start looking at how this can be accommodated, but I agree with his projections, at least on the face of it.

Plenty to consider if it was to go to that many teams, but I for one like the thinking of expand, don't sit still and just accept mediocrity because we have had too much of that lately.

Why is he saying this stuff HO? Well, I am guessing it is because we can't sit still and we can't go backwards, so what choice has the NBL but to try to explore options for expansion.

Positive press folks, let's get used to it...

Reply #441203 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ideal number for me is 12.

Reply #441213 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ditto. More than 12 is unnecessary and dilutes the talent too much IMO.
Need at least 10 for a bit of extra variety in the comp. 12 would be ideal.
Another Melb team, another NZ team, and Brisbane would be great.
Not sure what a feasible 12th team would be though.
So maybe 11 is the ideal number.

Reply #441217 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

HO,out of interest do you know how many other professional sport clubs across the codes are teetering??

50/60 percent??

Reply #441219 | Report this post

Ganymede 59  
Years ago

I don't know, is a watered down league that bad of thing?

I mean a watered down league means the stars will dominate, creating headlines right?

When you look at the NBA, you have top 30 players then the rest of the league. And those top30ish basically provides all the entertainment really. Who really shows up to watch the role players.

Reply #441222 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Skull,

The answer is linked to the strengths of the leagues, not just the clubs.

If Townsville falls in the NBL, no one has the resources to save it.

If West Sydney falls in the A-league, then at least for a time, the a-league can sustain it I would suspect.

I would reckon that there are plenty of clubs borderline in many codes, but outside of a second team in Brisbane for NRL, there is not much discussion about leagues expanding generally.

The A-league went on the expansion plan, and it hurt them badly.

And Bear, again, that is just one of your more naive posts. This is not in by any definition positive press, it is speculative press, at best.

I would suggest, given the relative weakness of the league, and the difficulty of its rebirth, and the need to redevelop the fan base, that you are much better talking up the initiatives that are going to put the league back on a firm footing and talking about rebuilding your fundamentals than putting yourself in a position where people are potentially calling you an idiot in 12 months time.

As a media messaging exercise, it achieves nothing.

Reply #441229 | Report this post

Jethro  
Years ago

for the NBL to be successful and new teams to flourish they need to attack and plan teams for regions the bigger comps (NRL,AFL) are avoiding. This is where you will find money, sponsorships and a fan base crying out for something to do on the weekend.

My expansion would be as follows...

1.Brisbane
2.NZ (This is more important than a 2nd Melb team with television rights able to show this live)
3.Melbourne (would not mind if this was a city based in VIC other than Melb)
4.Central Coast
5.Tasmania
6.Darwin
7.Rockhampton
8.Newcastle
9.Canberra
10.Ipswich/Toowoomba
11.Broome
12.Sydney

Reply #441230 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Broome? WTF?

Reply #441236 | Report this post

Jethro  
Years ago

I only put Broome in there as a possibility. TBH i dont think half of these places will get teams, but i would love to see it expand into these areas.

Broome is my 11th new team i cant see the NBL having 19 teams for some time so its only a wild thought

Reply #441241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

West Sydney Razorbacks would be awesome for the next expansion team, just looking at the a-league it shows the pride people have for western Sydney teams.
There would actually be a cross town rivalry again in the nbl and with basketball becoming very popular out west, there wouldn't be problems with crowds.
Who knows they might have still been in the league today, if they didn't make the stupid decision turning into the Sydney Spirit

Reply #441252 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Come on HO, naive, really... I have been called a lot worse I guess, but maybe hopeful would have been more accurate. Oh and I know you were referring to my post and not me, so let's not go down that road again...

I am hopeful though, not naive, about an NBL expansion and I will give you some insight as to why, because I like you:)

See, I reckon that the new CEO isn't a dummy and in history you can often recall people who were ridiculed for expressing their dreams or speaking their mind of things others just can't see.

I am of the opinion that our new boss is a little more of a risk taker than his predecessors, a dreamer if you will, a visionary, but he's not going to rush into things head on like the old bull in the china shop.

So, avoiding the mistakes of the past in this league and others before it, learning from those mistakes and still possessing the longer term strategic plan to expand is to me something positive, I like hearing positive news like this.

If we expand to only 2 or 3 teams more than now in that 5 year period, will you and others call him a failure or a success? He would have achieved more in that time than his predecessors, so I would say it should be seen as a success. Maybe you have a contrary view, so be it!

Think about this, Bendigo is in the heartland of the state (Vic) and already has a successful WNBL team and SEABL team, they are about to expand their already impressive 7 court stadium into two more and maybe a show court if my mail is correct.

They will have poker machines, a huge stadium with rooms and venues for hire and could be a second or third Victorian team in that 5 year period...

Just one example of something others may not even consider that may happen and with it a surge in the sport's popularity, exposure and revenue.

I won't even speculate on what could occur in Melbourne with the Hisense Arena becoming available or the State Basketball Centre in Knox being underused, etc... etc... And this is just in our state down here in Mexico!

Think outside the square my friend, it won't hurt one bit, I promise...

Reply #441255 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

I agree 12 teams, Brisbane, 2nd NZ and 2nd Sydney and melbs.
I would like to see 2 conferences.
North and south.

North: Brisbane, cairns, towns, Sydney, 2nd Sydney.
South: Perth, adelaide, NZ, 2nd nz, melbs, 2nd melbs.

Play conference teams 4 times, inter conference 2 times for a 32 game season!

Slightly more games means a couple more double header weekends but really is it that hard?

Finals could work:
1st in each conference straight to semi final
Quarters are 2nd and 3rd in each conference
Semis are opposite conference so 1st south would play 2nd or 3rd North.
Quarters and semi finals best of 3 games, GF best of 5.

Reply #441256 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

I disagree with second Sydney team. Just wouldn't work we already know how bad Sydney is at supporting sports teams. They have done alright though with Kings but I think they are a one city team.

Reply #441257 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Bear. You've exhibited no thinking outside the square in your post and neither did the new CEO. You've done some blue sky gazing, but no outside the square thinking.... dreaming does not equal lateral thinking.

Bear. This is a league with 3 community based teams, which in any SWOT analysis would be seen as a significant weakness and threat. Only a few short months ago the league was on the brink of only seven teams. Plenty of people are suggesting that Townsville's community model is not as firm as the other two.

The problem is not whether the league can expand in the future, or where. The problem is the CEO doing such navel-gazing only a few weeks into the job, when his corporate, media and broadcast partners, never mind all the other possible partners, have limited confidence in the league's future. No one in the media or corporate world is sitting nodding their head saying those comments have any credibility at all.

If the league has ten teams in 4 years but has lost Townsville (or another) along the way then sorry, his statements look like serious under-delivery.

My point is there is no need, for any audience at all, to be putting these sort of things in the market place when the league is again trying to rebuild. By all means, he should talk about Brisbane, then talk about Brisbane, and then talk about Brisbane, but all the rest, he should probably just STFU because if he delivers Wellington or Newcastle but not Brisbane, then he has failed.

Reply #441258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Add one more New Zealand team another Melbourne team and another Sydney team
Sydney though would have to be a western Sydney team, any other area in Sydney wouldn't be worth it, wouldn't last long at all

Reply #441260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Put more emphasis on making the current clubs sustainable.

Do some proper Marketing.

Get a TV deal that broadcasts more games.

THEN, look at expansion.

It is very easy to do the talking but ACTION is the key

Reply #441266 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Don't disagree with most of that HO, but I still like the fact that he isn't just sitting back and waiting for time to pass, at least he is offering some insight into a possible future.

Yes, always we need to consider the i's need dotting and t's crossing, not denying that lots of work will need to be done and maybe there isn't much detail in the sky gazing, as you have put it, however the thought process seems to be one which is at least heading in a direction we would like it to...

If you build it, they will come mate!

Reply #441268 | Report this post

Michael D  
Years ago

My thoughts on the matter here - http://www.theroar.com.au/2013/10/23/a-16-team-nbl-slow-down-there-fraser/

Overambitious expansion talk is something we've all heard before, so Neill would be well advised to steer away from that.

Reply #441320 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not sure it's smart without tiers that let a top tier focus on a TV deal and big crowds. Talent isn't quite there otherwise. If a SEABL-type league came under the NBL umbrella, that's a different story, but I'm not sure they're managing the current smaller league well enough yet.

And I don't know if conferences really work (to ease travel) in a country like Australia so heavily weighted to the East and even more so if you add a second NZ team.

Reply #441322 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

2 tier could really work. Have an A grade league and a B grade league.

For any team to enter the A grade league they would first have to prove them selves in the B Grade level.

Say cap the B grade league at $700k and the top team at the end of the season that has the required crowd average and minimum of top half on the ladder can go up to A grade.

Eg. Say a gold coast team want to re-enter the league. They would first have to enter division two with a slightly smaller cap and once they have reached an minimum average of say 3500 crowd over the season they can then apply to join the main league.

This would get mean country teams that don't quite have the crowd or money could still be very competitive in the second tier. And it would help to assure new teams entering the league have the crowd levels to be sustainable at the top level.

Also any team in the A grade level that dips under the 3500 for more then 1 season in a row will lose the A grade license and be forced to join the B grade until the levels are returned etc.

This will make sure teams dont "Die" but rather be relegated to a slightly less money costing league.

Reply #441346 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

also on starting the league there could be a 1 season super season with like 20 teams, as they are all unproven with the smaller salary cap.

After this one season teams that are over the 3500 cap can then apply for the A grade league and the remainder make up the B grade league.

Reply #441349 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

Interesting Baller, in your scenario do B grade teams have only 1 import?

Whilst I don't like your idea much I will admit the idea that B grade teams need to be creative to get their numbers up intrigues me and it could work.

I'd hope that we can watch B grade on NBL.tv as well but it feels like their will be a tremendous talent raid every off-season and I'm not sure how much players will want to be loyal to a B grade team year after year if they want 'big time' notice

Reply #441414 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't think promotion and relegation would work very well without a lot of planning. Teams elevated prematurely would not be able to compete.

Probably best to have it more like NBL and SEABL, and then only very careful movement between the two (e.g., maybe Townsville goes down to SEABL-equivalent and someone else gets elevated).

If it came to conferences, why not involve NZ NBL? It's reasonably entertaining.

Reply #441429 | Report this post

Moneyballer  
Years ago

What if the SEABL and the NZNBL merged to create the Oceania Basketball Association and teams from smaller cities like Gold Coast, Newcastle can start here and get moved to NBL if they have a strong supporter base and they're winning games. And a team like Townsville could get put there for a year to regroup with a smaller cap and get put back in when they're ready.

Reply #441433 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:58 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754