CHOOK
Years ago

BigV Movement in divisions?

So it is my understanding that all BigV team movements have been finalized and confirmed by the league today? What teams are going up/down in each division?

Topic #32918 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

November at the AGM is my understanding.

Reply #441281 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Decisions were made last week

Reply #441282 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Means nothing till they're ratified at the Nov AGM.

Reply #441283 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ratifying the decisions at the AGM is just a formality with promotions/relegations

Reply #441284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have Knox been included?

Reply #441285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Knox have already been confirmed in SEABL for 2014

Reply #441289 | Report this post

CHOOK  
Years ago

The board have approved promotions and relegations. I know McKinnon from d1 men to champ men and warrandyte women from d1 women to champ women.

Supposedly Keilor, Werribee and Sth Pen from d2 women to D1 women.

What else has happened but?

Reply #441290 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Only new clubs get voted on at the AGM. Other than that the structure is just presented at the AGM.

Wodonga Wolves are vying for a spot in the league.

Reply #441295 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Chris Jones ex Warrandyte signs with Pakenham.

Reply #441301 | Report this post

Admins  
Years ago

Jermaine Williams (Mildura Heat 2012 MVP) is living in Melbourne and lokking for a game not sure why he hasnt been picked up yet.

Reply #441302 | Report this post

Anon2  
Years ago

Whittlesea and Hawthorne also up to Champ from D1 in the men.

Knox have not been confirmed for SEABL. At this stage they've given in the EOI however, they, and word is 1-2 more teams, are still considering partings ways. Submitting an EOI for SEABL does not compel them to participate in the competition. It is no binding, so they could still choose to withdraw from the competition.

Reply #441303 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

How much $$$ is Jermaine Williams after to play? May be the reason why.

Reply #441309 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Is Williams a school teacher by profession?

Reply #441310 | Report this post

Admins  
Years ago

Has never asked for much that I know of and not sure of his Teaching deal dont know enough about his off court life.Was a team mate of Brad Bridgewaters @ LSU

Reply #441313 | Report this post

bethdavis10  
Years ago

Yes Williams is/was a school teacher/coach in the USA. Came to Melbourne on a 12 month holiday visa earlier this year to be with his girlfriend. Is likely to look at options to stay in the country long term, so teams interested in his services would be wise to get in contact.

Reply #441317 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Nice work Beth, always on the money.

Reply #441325 | Report this post

CHOOK  
Years ago

So with 3 D1 mens teams going up to champ, are there any new teams coming into D1? If not how will D1 men operate?

Reply #441335 | Report this post

Sammy  
Years ago

3 teams up from div1......

Nothing like expanding the league, and dropping the overall standard once again

Reply #441395 | Report this post

CHOOK  
Years ago

Sammy, such a pessimist! Maybe the top 2 teams should be in their own competition so that the standard is of the highest calibre?

I see it as providing more players, more clubs, more coaches the opportunity to play at higher levels.

Reply #441399 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Chook, hope that was just raw sarcasm.

Reply #441417 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

What if only Whittlesea and McKinnon go up, Melton move to Div 1 and Sherbrooke get put down? League would be set and standards are kept.

Reply #441422 | Report this post

CHOOK  
Years ago

Having the top2 teams compete in their own competition was sarcastic, my comments on having a larger SCM competition being beneficial were not.

Reply #441423 | Report this post

Sammy  
Years ago

It's only my opinion and I don't need to keep going on about it. The facts are - less teams, less spots, which means less mediocre basketballers getting around in the league.

More teams, more playing spots, more div1,div2 players getting an opportunity.
State League is not the level players get spoon fed opportunities. It's a level players should make their own opportunities.

All they are doing is watering down the standard dramatically

Just my opinion. Happily be proven wrong. I just think its becoming a bit of a joke

Reply #441426 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Then the problem with your comment is that by expanding what appears to be an already two tier championship division significantly, you are not exposing people to the level you want to, but to a comparably lesser level than even existed last year.

Reportedly last year championship was pretty two paced, with an upper echelon and the rest. If that remains the case the league is adding to its woes not helping them.

Unless some miracle occurs of course, and the teams all go on major recruiting drives.

Reply #441427 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Problem is Ho that Div 1 teams are getting more imports and spending more money that the bottom Champ teams, so either you have a SCM division with 4-5 teams or accept it as it is. Other leagues around the country other than SEABL the top 4-6 are considerably stronger as well, QBL, CBL, SBL.

To be honest, last year the top 6 in Div 1 were equal to the bottom 4 in Champ, and that's without even recruiting anyone new as they will if they move up.

Reply #441438 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

You make some good points MB but it would be an major overreach to suggest that increasing Championship by 3 teams makes it better as Chook seems to be heading towards. It must by definition become more mediocre. I agree with Sammy you don't just grow championship so you can give more opportunity to teams and players to say "we played there".

Surely the overall objective of the BigV must be to bring its championship competition closer to the level of SEABL rather than further away. The changes as they have been explained here do not achieve that.

Are Melbourne and Sherbooke being demoted?

Why promote three teams? Why take Hawthorn and Mckinnon up when they did not even make the GF.

It just looks again like the league does not want to make hard decisions and force teams to earn their stripes.

Reply #441447 | Report this post

Anon2  
Years ago

If, as Melbourne Boy has said, 'last year the top 6 in Div 1 were equal to the bottom 4 in Champ, and that's without even recruiting anyone', then would the promotion of teams into Champ raise the level of the league?

Obviously it does little immediately to close the game between the top 4 and the bottom 4, but sticking to the status quo doesn't exactly do anything to change that either.

In addition to that, rosters for the promoted teams would not be finalised yet. So really, nobody on here is in a position to say anything about the quality of the new teams entering next season and how they will stack up against the others.

Reply #441449 | Report this post

Anon2  
Years ago

** Correction. Close the gap **

Reply #441450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

By tipping water into cordial you don't make it stronger..

That said they need the number 1 div to have 12 teams to make the season worth while.

Maybe renaming of Champ men to Div 1, and cascade the renaming down would be more fitting of the std.

Reply #441452 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Spin Doctors hard at work at Southern Peninsula:

The Southern Peninsula Basketball Association is now the only team on the Mornington
Peninsula that has 2 senior teams competing in BigV Division 1, reaffirming the association's
status as the most elite sporting club on the Peninsula.

Reply #441492 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Anon2.

I don't think anyone is specifically talking about how teams are likely to stack up against each other.

The debate is really about what happens if you radically increase the size of championship in one hit, as appears to be happening here, and how that can really only dilute the talent pool, in a comp that already has a pretty wide gap between the top four and the rest.

More importantly, this move cannot create an overall improvement in the quality of championship.

Reply #441514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You should have to earn the right to enter Champ Men by winning D1, period.

Reply #441520 | Report this post

Sammy  
Years ago

I understand clubs set goals, have targets & strive towards playing in BigV championship.

However, like Previously stated before it dilutes the standard of the comp.
Now due to that fact, young up and coming stars (genuine pro prospects) will be lost to the SEABL to gain more exposure from NBL clubs, as the bigV will be brushed off by the pro clubs as just the mediocre league that is.

Reply #441556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sammy, i think the situation you described happened a long time ago.

Lets be honest, BigV is as much about equal participation as it is about being elite.

While ever SEABL exists BigV will be seen as a third tier competition.

Reply #441576 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

@ Sammy the only time that NBL or Pro teams would look at Big V on th resume would be if that player is already an extablished professional & are only getting paid good $$ to play in the offseason and even then they would more look to the previous season rather than stats in the Big V.

Reply #441577 | Report this post

Sammy  
Years ago

Yes, I do agree with both comments.

It would be nice to try and strive for that type of excellence however, instead of going backwards in standard.

Saying that, I do understand that with the powerhouse Victorian clubs playing in the SEABL it would just be too tough to compete with that. unless the bigV managed to get a few of those clubs to come accross.

Anyway, good luck to all teams being promoted for next season

Reply #441584 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

If the vic clubs dropped back to BiG V (Which wont happen) it would kill the current set up as they would dominate the competition and outside the current top 4 teams the other would simply get smashed everyweek which wouldn't be great for the league....so can't imagine the Big V member clubs would be happy to vote 1 or multi SEABL clubs as it would effective kill 6 teams from SCM then have the flow on effect thru the comp.

Reply #441596 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

If 1 or 2 SEABL team lowered their budget and came into Big V they would be the equivalent of the top 4 team, no better, so instead of being a clear top 4 in SCM there would be a clear top 6, in my eyes that strengthens the comp and the member clubs would no doubt be in favour..

Reply #441597 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

TW and MB. Both your points are really good. They reflect the lack of ambition and leadership in the decision making by the BigV as an organisation. As many have pointed out, these obsession with "we will let everyone play" is simply the wrong course of action.

Reply #441598 | Report this post

OFFSEASON  
Years ago

Sherbrooke announced that Brent stretch Reid to coach their Champ men team. Big call by Sherbrooke to risk an un-tried championship coach. But in saying that I have seen stretch coach and he knows his stuff. Good luck stretch and good on you Sherbrooke to take the risk.

Reply #441607 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

@OFF - Great move by Suns they need to shake it up as last years coach really couldn't get it done and from the outside looking in looked a little out of his depth at times.

Reply #441608 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:52 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754