MichaelPnR
Years ago

The Pick and Roll - WNBL articles

Hi,

The first of what we hope to be many WNBL articles has been posted on The Pick and Roll website. Give it a read and look forward to seeing more in the near future!

http://pickandroll.com.au/wnbl/

Cheers.

Topic #32959 | Report this topic

Pauly B  
Years ago

Good stuff. Nice to read some stuff on the WNBL. There's some great talent on display this season. As I understand it, the WNBL doesn't currently have a salary cap. I think the league will need a cap moving forward to save the clubs from themselves (overpaying for players they can't really afford) and to also help with competitive balance. Dandenong absolutely destroyed the Waves last night by 54 points the night after they also lost to Bendigo by 26. A team getting thumped every week doesn't do the competition any good

It's a great league in general though and costs only about $12-$14 for entry which is great value for families

Reply #441908 | Report this post

MichaelPnR  
Years ago

Thanks Pauly.

The biggest thing definitely is the affordability. I'm involved with the Melbourne Boomers and regularly attend home games with my family, simply because it's so cheap and entertaining.

Disappointing to see a team only score 36 points in today's age. Something needs to be sorted out to even out the competition, if it be a salary cap or something else, just as long as a majority of games stay competitive.

Cheers.

Reply #441910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Unlike the NBL which has trouble recruiting NBA players as both leagues run during the same periods of the year, the WNBL has no problems recruiting world-class WNBA players down under."

Assuming the NBL season operated duing the NBA's offseason: how many active NBA players would be willing - or even allowed to given their contractual obligations - to play in the NBL coming off the back of an 82 game season (not including playoffs)? Relating the NBL and WNBL in this way seems a little redundant to me.

Also, I disagree with the implementation of a salary cap at this point to even out the WNBL: squeezing out talented players (which would inevitably happen) isnt the way to go, and the clubs that cant spend within their means are beyond saving in terms of long-term prosperity.

Otherwise, the article was an enjoyable read.

Reply #441936 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

We will also be adding a list of D1 Aussie girls to the pickandroll.com.au website by Thursday night!

Reply #442217 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:15 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754