The Brad
Years ago

Umpires: three second rule clarification

Just a quick question to all those umpires out there...recently in a social basketball game a team mate was called for three seconds off an inbound pass.

To paint the picture, it was our ball from the baseline. The umpire handed our player the ball, our centre made a cut through the keyway and stopped, the passer couldn't get him the ball and our centre was called for three seconds, the ball not even being inbounded. The umpire stated that the 3 seconds begins from when she hands the inbound passer the ball.

Is this correct? I found it to be an unusual call myself.

Topic #3296 | Report this topic

former ref  
Years ago

in one word NO

Reply #37817 | Report this post

Matt Ryan  
Years ago

ARTICLE 26 - THREE SECONDS

26.1 A player shall not remain in the opponents' restricted area for more than three (3) consecutive seconds whil his team is in control of a live ball in the frontcourt and the game clock is running.

The game clock is running, but as the ball is still out of bounds, the ball has not become "live".

Thus, the answer is that NO 3 second call should have been made.

Reply #37821 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

That's what I thought.

Reply #37824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

10 years ago, your ref would have been correct, but that is the old school rule.

Reply #37835 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Damn, I was gonna say it was the right call but you're probably correct in saying "old school".

It's my 21st birthday (again) today - forgive me!

Reply #37845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

isn't the ball live when it is at the disposal of the player?

Reply #37846 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no. ball must be touched by a player on court to be live. Hence that is why the clock doesn't start until the ball is inbounded. Matt, do u concur?

Reply #37849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

but does the ball need to be live to have the clock run?

Reply #37860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

full championship rules.

Reply #37861 | Report this post

Paul Smith  
Years ago

Life and death of the ball has nothing to do with the running of the game clock.

When a player has the ball out of bounds, it is live, but the clock does not start until the ball touches a player on the court.

When a field goal is scored the ball ball becomes dead, but the clock does not stop(except for the last two minutes), so we have a dead ball with the clock running

Reply #37868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if paul smith is who i think he is give the man the award

but then if the ball is alive at the disposal of the player can a three second call be made?

Reply #37869 | Report this post

Matt Ryan  
Years ago

See Article 26! It's direct from the rule book!

Reply #37874 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In melbourne over the long week end the Umps never called for 3 seconds, which was so crucial in some Games! What do you think?

Reply #38005 | Report this post

Paul Smith  
Years ago

So who do you think I am?

For a 3 second call the clock must be running and the ball in the team's front court.

Reply #38019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

annon you'r right 3 seconds was never called in melb which was lucky for me i was in there for a very long time!

Reply #38103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At one carnival in Ballarat, I over heard a coach say "Oh no, It's 5 seconds in Melbourne"

So they might have been playing that...u never know

Reply #38106 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:47 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754