Anonymous
Years ago

Coaching bad habits out of players

I took over as coach in a local U14 boys competition earlier this year.

Before me, the only coach they had was a parent who wasnt very stringent in her approach to coaching and would just let them do what they want in training.

Most of them i have been able to train back into good form but i have one player who has fallen into the rut of bad habits that i cant seem to break him out of.

He's great in training but in the pressure of the game he's a stepper and when he shoots the ball cannons into the backboard and back again.

He tells me he was never taught the proper way to shoot/stop under pressure. I have been working on it with him for weeks and he has gone from around half a dozen travel violations a game to maybe one or two and he does get the odd basket, but i get the feeling he feels like he's letting the team down because to him its ingrained in him-its a natural thing.

Is there a way I can train these bad habits out of him and make it second nature to do the right thing?

Topic #32981 | Report this topic

Tyrell  
Years ago

Shot Doctor?

3 ways to miss a shot: Left/Right (Means arms are off track). Too Short/Airball (Needs more power, shoot quicker and not hold onto the ball). Too Long/Cannoning off ring (Spin the ball to slow it in the air).

Gives the player some direction and easy to remember guidelines.

Reply #442342 | Report this post

Pauly B  
Years ago

It can take hundreds if not thousands or repetitions in some cases to change muscle memory. The longer he's been doing things one way the longer it'll take to change. Sounds like you've been able to get an improvement already so just be patient and keep working at it.

Encourage him to practice what you've shown him at home and stress the importance of practicing the right way.

Reply #442382 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Instead of trying to correct a bad habit, can you teach him a good habit instead, and then work it into him so much that he drops the bad habit without realising?

Reply #442398 | Report this post

It is almost impossible to travel when u play in stance. Teach correct offensive stance, bent legs.

Reply #442980 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:25 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754