Rashad
Years ago

Heat visiting Ennis to check his progress

The Perth Wildcats could be robbed of their greatest on-court asset when Miami Heat officials arrive in WA this month to assess the progress of outstanding swingman James Ennis.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/basketball/19663309/miami-keep-tabs-on-wildcats-menace-ennis/

Thoughts?

Topic #33023 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

great news for anyone who isn't a Wildcats fan and has hopes of their team winning a title this season.

otherwise it may rob a lot of fans of the chance to see the Ennis show live which so far has been quite outstanding and at times dominating.

Without his athleticism offensively Perth will fall back towards the pack IMO. Beale has been great so far but has not quite stamped his mark on each game quite like Ennis has.

Reply #443101 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Cue NBL haters with their "typical NBL" responses.

Reply #443104 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Well he wont get called up to the D league, and the Heat dont really need him. Even if someone got injured I see them claiming someone off waivers or signing a FA vet.

Reply #443105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I doubt he goes back this quick. They will want him to work on certain things and see how he is fitting in. If it was such a short stint he could have done it in the D-League (are they running yet) or just kept him around the team.

Reply #443106 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The first line of the article is to draw people in and then the rest tells the actual reality that it's unlikely. If he did happen to go though, how big an impact it has depends on how good the replacement is. The Cats still have plenty of talent.

Reply #443108 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

They'll check out how he is progressing and work out what areas he needs to work on.Cant see them taking him back as hes still quite young.

Reply #443113 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

No way he is going back yet which is good for the Wildcats and the league.

Reply #443117 | Report this post

bethdavis10  
Years ago

Sounds like a good excuse for some Miami employees to enjoy a paid vacation Down Under

Reply #443119 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

as Mick said the Heat have busloads of Vets with proven talent lining up to win a ring, they don't need Ennis.

Reply #443121 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Shayne Hope is being a wee bit emotive there. I just listened to him on SportFM and even the host (bemusedly) accused him of being sensationalist when he actually laid out the facts.

This is by and large a check-up by Miami officials, doing their due diligence in tracking a player's progress.

Reply #443123 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That, and what Beth said!!

Reply #443124 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

If the Heat were serious about bringing him back this season they would have kept him around for all the summer camps / preseason before shipping him overseas.

He is still very raw, his athleticism puts him two steps ahead of not only the defender but himself sometimes.

Not saying he isn't (probably) the MVP of the league because he is, just saying I think Miami would want him to stay overseas for the duration of the season.

Anyway, if the Wildcats lost him, do you not think they would be able to replace him pretty sufficiently with the type of coin he is on?

Reply #443126 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

I did like that, although they have recall rights, there is a deadline so that we can get a replacement in time to accumulate the required qualifying games before finals. Good cooperation from all parties.

Reply #443129 | Report this post

Cats 4 life  
Years ago

Think every one knew that miami own him, his awsome in the nbl but when u step up to the nba its a tad bit differnt. I hope he stayz just wana keep watching him, if he ends up goin perth have a few options already and we played with 1 import for the past two seasons and made back to back grandfinals. Not spectacular but i think waggs will fit in nice, with redhage knight beal and marto, still not bad line up.

Reply #443131 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Just a junket for Heat staff to spend some time in Australia =)

Reply #443133 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

They will be telling him to work on his defense and three point shot (ie. so he can be a 3 & D guy for the Heat), and enjoying the WA spring/summer. Nothing more.

Reply #443145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Again, everything in life is a business. If he goes, then so bet it.

Shame for the sport but a contract is black and white and never technicolor

Reply #443151 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

His not going anywhere!

Reply #443152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting thing is if he does go (which is unlikely) his salary is guaranteed so Wildcats would be up for the whole sum even if he leaves. Then it would be pretty obvious if they replaced him that something untoward is happening re: salary cap.

Reply #443155 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I don't believe if a player leaves midseason the remaining money he is owed counts towards the salary cap.

Reply #443162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was mentioned in a US article, never mentioned in an Aus one though. Interesting as this leak could expose potential wrongdoings down the track.

Reply #443164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The remainder not counting... so you can be over the cap yet be under. NBL continues to amaze.

Reply #443166 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Consider the amount of import re-shuffling that goes on each season, particularly during seasons. Are you saying that a team that spends its entire cap at the start of the season can never replace an import because of cap constraints?

Reply #443170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Import should only be paid the period they actually played for? Once you axe an import why would they be paid out the remainder. If so no wonder imports cbf and are pedestrian.

Reply #443173 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Yeah, fair point.

Reply #443176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A payout of a released player doesnt count against the cap.

Reply #443186 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dont think ennis' fitness is at the required level for NBA yet. He's looked tired the past two games since their 4 game road trip. Shot a few lazy shots toward the end of the sydney game and was quiet for a lot of the wollongong game. In saying that, a quiet game by his standards he still notches 17-20 points anyway which shows his level of talent. His flaw is when putting the ball to the floor can lose control at times. Miami will know that already and i dont expect that hes improved that side of his game for them to want him back just yet.

Reply #443195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He wouldnt have to play as many minutes in the NBA but he has looked lethargic the last two games.

Reply #443197 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

@ Nathan- Shayne Hope is well known for sensationalising and beating stories up for more than they are worth.

Reply #443210 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Well that paper's nickname isn't The Worst Australian for nothing

Reply #443212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heat are coming out as when they tried to watch Ennis on NBL.TV it kept buffering.

Reply #443221 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Interesting thing is if he does go (which is unlikely) his salary is guaranteed so Wildcats would be up for the whole sum even if he leaves. Then it would be pretty obvious if they replaced him that something untoward is happening re: salary cap.
Not much right in that post.

A guaranteed salary means that if he's cut he gets paid out, not if he chooses to leave. And even if they cut and paid him out, that doesn't count against the cap for games unplayed as others have said.

Reply #443225 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"Heat are coming out as when they tried to watch Ennis on NBL.TV it kept buffering."

bahaha

Reply #443241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ennis is 1 of the best imports I've seen for a while. Watching him play against the Kings last week was like watching a man play against boyz. At times he looked unstoppable.

Reply #443242 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

"Heat are coming out as when they tried to watch Ennis on NBL.TV it kept buffering."

Post of the year!!!

As far as I know the Wildcats have guaranteed his contract whether he chooses the leave, is cut or is called up to the Heat. Which is extremely rare in the NBL.

However for the Heat to call him up, it would cost them 2+mil including tax and there would need to be a bunch of injuries.

Reply #443253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Makes sense guaranteeing a contract to get him out here when the Heat are so deep and if he leaves it doesn't count toward the cap.

Reply #443259 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

hopefully there'll be more players choosing to come out in the future. first flynn now ennis......

Reply #443273 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

I doubt he'll be on the Heat's roster any time soon, they're probably just coming down to check on his progress and catch some Aussie sunshine.

And besides, even if he did actually get sent back to the US, Perth have Matty Knight to come back soon. They may lose a lot without Ennis, but Knight is no mug.

Reply #443292 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

I can't see him leaving but if he did life goes on we are going along great without Knight so putting him back in the line up and giving Hire and Wagstaff more opportunities will help make up for the loss.

Reply #443301 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Wagstaff is the Harden of the NBL...

Reply #443318 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

It's interesting, because last year I was really unhappy with Wagstaff through most of the year and even started getting grumpy when he checked in.

But his form this year has been absolutely brilliant.

Reply #443323 | Report this post

bdw  
Years ago

The Cats have a pretty good record of bringing in quality imports in recent seasons (Lisch, Dunigan come to mind) so you'd think they'd be well prepared to handle the loss of Ennis in the unlikely event that he leaves.

An interesting analysis of Ennis from a scout perspective for anyone that's interested:

http://www.prospectnext.com/post/65531862660/james-ennis

Reply #443409 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Great article, I think most people who watch the NBL seriously would agree with just about all points. Could do great work with an NBA team but needs some polishing to shine. Wildcats are a great environment for him to do that in.

Reply #443414 | Report this post

GuessWhosBACK  
Years ago

Ennis will stay the season.. but he will become a very notable NBA player.. mark my words

Reply #443486 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:12 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754