Anonymous
Years ago

In defence of the NBL's current TV deal

Worth a read: http://www.theroar.com.au/2013/11/08/in-defence-of-the-nbls-tv-deal/

Thoughts?

Topic #33062 | Report this topic

Happy Days  
Years ago

Friday nights are great.Soccer then Basketball. Would certainly help if Channel 10 got rid of Carfino and their broadcast a bit of ooomph!!! Its alright for a commentator to get excited.

Reply #443695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another interesting article: http://www.startupsmart.com.au/growth/growth-strategy/dont-drop-the-ball-like-the-nbl-did/2013110811127.html

Reply #443696 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

That second link is not interesting, it's just stupid hating.

Reply #443702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is hating but it is something the New NBL must never forget.

Move forward but never forget. Plenty of work to be done

Reply #443706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The first article is poor. It makes it sound like the NBL should be grateful to Ch10. Ch10 should not be praised at all as their production quality is poor. Free to air don't know how to cover sports so hopefully the next deal is with Fox and in full HD. What is it with Australian free to air and not actually broadcasting high def? Boggles the mind.

Reply #443712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL should be grateful to Channel Ten because Ten, if they could, would terminate the deal quicker than you could click your fingers. That's a fact.

Reply #443713 | Report this post

GuessWhosBACK  
Years ago

Yes we should be grateful to Ten... NBL rated a mere 3 K on Fox, it is now AVERAGING 53 thousand. Btw, 53 thousand is around what we got for the Grand Final 2 years ago... there has been great growth in the leagues ratings that wouldnt be possible without Ten and One.

Btw... Anonymous... I think a few years ago Ten would definitely drop the NBL, but there has been steady improvement in ratings.. and for its timeslot it doesnt rate THAT terribly.. also consider no Adds are ever aired.

And yes, there production has sucked.. I am seeing changes creep in by the hand of NBL... good changes like Micing up a coach and showing glory years highlights

Reply #443725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You guys are right we should be grateful as the NBL is a little bitch who is getting fcked up the a$$ and should be happy about it since it has nowhere else to go. What sucks is Ten knew this and didn't bother sprucing any of the production up but at least with this new agreement gives the league has more control over the broadcast which is something to look forward to.

Reply #443780 | Report this post

Swagger  
Years ago

Going back to Fox only will be the death of the league. We need to build on the FTA coverage we have.

Reply #443817 | Report this post

GuessWhosBACK  
Years ago

Amonymous... beggars cant be choosers... and if the 'little bitch' has no money and needs meth... she might just have to be F'd up the A' as you put it.

NBL is not in the position to throw its weight around and dictate. After a solid start, last nights game only rated 22 K. I hope its just a small glitch...

Reply #443833 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FTA isn't helping the league if you think about it. Nothing has changed with the so called saviour being on board for three seasons. As per last season after the first few rounds the ratings dipped and guess what it is happening again.

Reply #443839 | Report this post

GuessWhosBACK  
Years ago

Anonymous... there has been 1 poor rating game out of like 8... Making a mountain out of a molehill.. tomorrows game could rate back in the 50's... the first few rounds have been consistantly higher then this time last year. and even last years ratings were overall higher then before... As things like this grow, there is up and downs... you know that it is growing when there is more ups then the downs... and there has been. I am not sure what you are not seeing.. saying things havent changed.. it rated 3 thousand on fox sports!?!!?!... you dont think that there has been increasing revenue for the NBL due to this? You dont think crowds are bigger?... You dont think there are more sponsors willing to put their cash in?... C'mon dude..

Reply #443848 | Report this post

GuessWhosBACK  
Years ago

ALSO... 2 other NBL games were playing at the same time... which devides the audience.. some would be at the other game, some would be watching them on NBL.TV... Not a clever way to schedule and in the end that could have been the thing that stung them

Reply #443850 | Report this post

Swagger  
Years ago

22k on free to air is better than 3k on fox.

Plus that's one bad game.

We need FTA, at least people at my work know the league stills exists, on fox it was out of sight out of mind.

Reply #443855 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

After how everything ended I don't think the NBL and Foxtel will be getting together any time soon.

The big problem with putting it on Fox in the first place was that it limited the TV audience to those who actually had Foxtel. Sure the NBL got a bucket load of money in the deal, but in the long run it was the wrong time to go that way. Back in the 90s when this was done Foxtel was only a couple of years old and didn't have a great number of subscribers. Not having the NBL on FTA TV killed off a lot of its audience and eventually it was only the diehards who watched on TV. Its an audience they are only now starting to get back.

Basketball in Australia doesn't get the media coverage that Aussie rules, rugby league and union, soccer and cricket do. It needs to be on FTA TV like it is to expose it to a wider audience instead of limiting it to just those who have Foxtel.

Reply #443858 | Report this post

GuessWhosBACK  
Years ago

Only a complete fool would think that there is a better situation for the NBL on TV right now then the one they are in. Ten is probably the highest profile channel on TV.. People are saying they would rather be on ABC? cant be serious right? .. even if ABC wanted to hype the sport they have limited means with which to do so. No, stay on channel 10... keep up the modest growth and hope that by the end of this contract we are in a position to barter for more live games and better timeslots. DONT bite the hand that feeds you, even if their production wasnt passionate (and now the NBL is taking that over) or they dont seem to care!...

Reply #443861 | Report this post

Pauly B  
Years ago

The scheduling of games really needs to be looked at. There shouldn't be any other games on at the same time as the ones being broadcast on FTA. They need to funnel the audience towards the FTA games to help push the ratings up which will help the NBL to negotiate a better deal once the current contract expires.
Not sure 9:30 games on Friday are a good idea either considering a huge chunk of the Melbourne audience is out at junior rep games.
It's great to have the games on FTA, it just needs a little tweaking to maximize it's effectiveness. Being on Ten though is probably the worst of the 3 main stations, they get smashed in the ratings by 9 & 7 every week.

Reply #443872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Ten is probably the highest profile channel on TV."

It's the lowest profile commercial channel by some distance. It gets destroyed by the big 2, 7 & 9 in the ratings. Ten doesn't have that much bigger audience than the ABC.

Reply #443875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is everyone saying on Fox the games rated 2k that is flat out not true.

Games rated from 20k upwards, more for big matchups and playoffs.

Reply #443940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thinking back to the Fox days we had:

Pregame show 30mins previewing the big Wednesday matchup, plus a wrapup with top plays and highlights from the previous round. Then another game on Saturday. Both at 7:30pm PRIMETIME not 9:30pm or lunchtime Sunday which are timeslots for scrap programming.

Back to th

Postgame you could tune into the coaches and players news conferences aired on Fox Sports News channel. Then the commentators (more on them below) would be back wrapping up what had happened. Another 30mins.

Back then it was 48mins so 2.5hrs of airtime and you had pre and post game so basically nearly 3.5 hours of coverage overall. It felt like more of an event, the Big Wednesday showcase.

Also speaking of highlights there also was another one hour show on Fox for years which was a panel with guests and discussion about league topics and full highlights of all games. They even had Boti on it. Do we get that now? NO!

Someone yesterday said on here that the A-League has all these extras yet we had the same not long ago. Ppl forget way too easily.

John Casey was professional and knowledgable and his combination with Carfino kept Barf in line. Once John left is when Steve really lost it having to be the main guy when he is really only suited to colour (massive Ten fail).

When the playoffs came around they added a third commentator but would select someone who was entertaining or knowledgable. No Ronaldson abominiations (you idiots Ch10!). They would have Gaze or Rucker or JvG and a few others.

As I said ppl forget the standard of broadcast we had. Fox did it for around 15yrs and it wasn't amateur like Ten do now.

Of course Fox should burn for the last year having AFL ppl commentating which was was messed up.

Reply #443944 | Report this post

GuessWhosBACK  
Years ago

I agree that the coverage was better on fox, but cant hide from the fact that the game was hidden from a large chunk of the general public. A league was able to thrive because they also had proper promotiomn, with the worst promotion of any pro sport in the country NBL would have only continued to shrivel if not for FTA.... But yes, I agree... the coverage was better... but we cant ask for that kind of coverage on a major network until a lot of things change

Reply #443958 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The 2009 year on Fox the coverage was pretty poor, and not a lot better in 2010. They seemed to spend a lot less on NBL their last few years as ratings dropped.

Whether it's FTA or payTV or both, the NBL needs to find a partner who has some interest in making the product a success or it wont go anywhere.

Reply #443964 | Report this post

GuessWhosBACK  
Years ago

Well you would think that Ten would want it to be a success but it seems they think the NBL has more or less reached its peak and is not going to grow much more then it has. I think with NBL taking over its production, and MAYBE some big changes next year.. NBL could prove its worth before contract ends. Channel 10 hasnt been given a wealth or reasons to care about us yet... we probably rank only slightly better to a Mash re run4

Reply #443968 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

TV networks won't shell out on production values and an advertising blitz if the NBL's ratings continue to be horrendous.

50K or 20k it doesn't matter both figues are appalling. IMO, would need to be at least 100k for them to want to invest, they're not interested in throwing good money after bad.

Reply #443976 | Report this post

GuessWhosBACK  
Years ago

theres been improvement.. but at the same token Channel 10 cant expect mch without so much as an add!.. I think NBL has 2 years to get it right... I think next year is time for a truly aggresive marketing campaign, a marquee player rule.. and some real change

Reply #443980 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

An advert would go a long way to at least alerting people that theres a game on TV. Might be worth an extra 30K people to tune in if they even knew about it?

Ch 10 have no reason to complain about the ratings if they don't bother with any promotion to give it a boost.

Reply #443987 | Report this post

GuessWhosBACK  
Years ago

Agreed wildcats fan, I think the averages could be up near the 70 thousand mark or so... But what I also will say is after an entertaining start to the season, last 3 or so televised games have been a bore...

Reply #443988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WF, Ten/One used to show ads for the NBL earlier in the deal but the ratings weren't there so haven't bothered the past few seasons, around the time they screwed the league over stopped showing live night games and went to 10pm-1am delayed games.

The NBL have to give it all they've got next season as it will be the final year of the five year deal they signed with Ten in 2010. No way will Ten touch it again and I can't see 7 or 9 being interested either. Best hope would be ABC or more likely SBS complemented with nbl.tv coverage, which also needs to be drastically improved.

Reply #443991 | Report this post

GuessWhosBACK  
Years ago

Yeah there was a fair while where we were getting screwed pretty hardcore and I dare say they weren't keeping to the letter of the agreement with Basketball Australia. I think right now, the deal is as good as we could hope for... some adds would be nice!!! but then again, has NBL even tried to make an add for it?... NBL needs this to survive.. not Ten, we shouldnt be relying on Ten to do the publicity for us.. its about time the NBL did it for themselves.. and they remain sorely unaware of how to connect to the public.

I think we have one season to show markable improvement or we are off of Ten, out of fox sports.. probably not too appealing for 7 and 9.. and probably hoping for the mercy of SBS or ABC.. NBL looked like they were gonna make some changes at the start of the season, we are over a month in... aint seen much yet. Modest increases in ratings and attendance.. both numbers need to almost double to make us an attractive prospect to any network

Reply #443994 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

SBS would be the best station for the NBL. They would give it the dedication and profesional polish to ressurect the league, unlike channel 10 now. 7 and 9 wont do any betterif it goes there.

Unfortunatley though i think they have too much interest in soccer for sbs to take it on.

If the nbl is to stay on FTA it will likely be on ABC on a budget.

Reply #443999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wherever it is the NBL will be doing their own production.

Reply #444001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, the NBL will have to do their own production in the hope that will entice a TV network to take them on after the Ten deal. Production costs are a large part of why networks aren't really interested.

The commercial stations like 10, 7 and 9 are just that commercial aren't interested in losing money which the NBL is to them via poor ratings & production costs.

The ABC & SBS are both government funded (although SBS is part-commercial too) but last time I heard the ABC weren't interested in the NBL. They have a charter to highlight women's sport which is why they show the WNBL but aren't keen on the NBL.

Fox Sports are supposedly not interested and that would probably kill off the league for good anyway with only about 33% of homes having Foxtel.

SBS like the ABC aren't crazy for ratings/advertising so I think SBS with the NBL assuming production costs will probably be the best bet. If the NBL produce every game for nbl.tv it would be much more enticing for a network to just buy a copy of the tape and slap it on without all the other overheads.

Reply #444004 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Good point. League needs to go to a station not hungry for ratings, and SBS is ideal. If theyre half as invested in hoops as they are for soccer, theres hope yet for the nbl.

Reply #444007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They make money on the NBL, just not as much as they like.

Reply #444012 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:10 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754