Mystro
Years ago

Adams has double double as OKC beat Detroit.

Rookie Centre Steven Adams continues to impress & improve with each outing for the Thunder.

Adams played just over 30mins in the latest victory and had 17points (7/10 7 3/4 from the freethrow line) along with 10 boards (5 offensive) 3 assists 1 steal & 3 blocks and importantly, zero turnovers.
Kendrick Perkins played just over 16mins for 3 rebounds 2 blocks and 0 points (0/2).

OKC won 119-110.

Kevin Durant had 37 points 8 rebounds 7 assists & Russell Westbrook chimed in with 20 points.
Josh Smith high scored for the Pistons before fouling out (25points).

-How long before Adams starts?

-If he continues to play like this, could Adams be the darkhorse in the Rookie of the Year conversation?

-How deep can OKC go (assuming they make the playoffs)?

Topic #33073 | Report this topic

Mick  
Years ago

OKC will not go deep. They are too shallow at every position and their defence is not good enough.

Yes Adams should probably start.

The only value Perkins has to this ball club right now is in the locker room. Apparently he plays a big part in keeping the dynamic between Westbrook and Durant amicable.

Reply #443871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought Westbrook and Durant were besties?

Reply #443880 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

bff's even

Reply #443885 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

I reckon his first nba start its just around the corner, he is honestly playing that much better than perkins at the moment!

Reply #443886 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I was talking about the on court dynamic, as well as coping with all the media pressure for Westbrook to defer to Durant, etc. Just the pecking order.

Reply #443891 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

From the few games i've seen this year Adams is playing better than Bogut..he should def. be starting for OKC

on another note Brett Browns 76ers continue to impress, early days but leading the atlantic division and 2nd overall in the East.

Reply #443903 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

No way. Bogut is the best defender in the league at his position not named roy hibbert and an underrated passer to boot. No sleight to adams who has a big career ahead of him but he's still learning the game...

Reply #443907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol ^^ best defender? I can name 10 better centres who are better defenders than bogut! That includes Adams in that list! Adams is already more skilled and much bigger ceiling than bogut! Boguts value was shot when he broke his arm! He is on a downhill spiral and he is close to becoming replaced by jermaine o neal!

Reply #443926 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ Totally ignorant.

Bogut is unquestionably one of the best defenders in the league at the 5 spot

Reply #443927 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought Australians were bad with Delly, Mills talk but Kiwis are the worst there is a new topic everytime Adams does something plus with the Breakers stinking it up the sheep are off the bandwagon.

Reply #443929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Alright ill name them! M. Gasol, Howard, Noah, chandler, Garnett, horford, sanders, hibbert, bosh, Duncan.. These guys easily better defenders than bogut! Bogut may hit and rough up the centres but kidding yourselves if you think he is a top defensive centre.

Reply #443937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut has never peaked just seems to plod along in the NBA but never to any significant horizon. It's like ho hum I'm in the NBA collecting monies that'll do.

Reply #443938 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Oh I'm sorry, NZ produces first round draft picks and guys who get 30mins of court time in the NBA and double doubles and play for a contender like OKC every week.
This is a kid that was apparently destined for the D-league and has no offensive game just natural potential and he outshines everyone on his team not called Kevin Durant and I'm not supposed to discuss it?

Bogut is a great player and hopefully Adams can stick around the league as long as he has as well as contribute what Bogut does. Just don't be surprised if Adams surpasses him later in his career.

Reply #443949 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac: stickying a 'NBA Aussie and NZ Watch' might be the best way to stop these useless thread everytime Mills/Delly/Adams breathes/scores. Honestly unnecessary seeing posts by all these random anons every second day about Mills, then the same from Mystro giving short stories about Adams. All in one post would be great like LC's very useful Aussie College Watch post.

Reply #443950 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"unnecessary seeing posts by all these random anons every second day"

black pot meet black kettle

Reply #443951 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Bogut is clearly one of the best defensive centres in the NBA, his iq and anticipation are top notch, he stops plays before they happen.

Reply #443959 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Anon you are confusing weak side shot blockers with elite defenders...

Reply #443961 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Re: Bogut's defence

I remember watching/reading something about Bill Russell and why he was such a dominant defender. Yes he was long, but they also said that he mastered the concept of disruptive distances (not an official term, I just made that up). That is, he would know exactly where to position himself on the floor to cover both the horizontal and vertical space. This is exactly what Bogut does. Referring back to what paul said, this concept of disruptive distances is why Bogut stops plays before they happen. The Bogut types(position defenders) are the proactive defenders and they almost always trump the shot-blocking Chandler and Sanders types (reactive defenders). The fact that you list Al Horford as better than Bogut on that end proves you don't know what you're talking about.

Reply #443971 | Report this post

Lickity Split  
Years ago

Some people on this forum, either have a very poor knowledge of basketball, or do not get to see a lot of NBA.
Firstly, Mystro and whoever wants to talk up Adams, should be allowed to as he is putting together some great games (whether he is Kiwi or not) especially since he is on a contender. People also forget that big guys take a lot longer to develop, thus why his play is such a pleasant surprise.
Also anyone that says Bogut is not an elite defender in the NBA has no idea. You obviously did not pay much attention to Golden State's playoff run last year. He was integral in their success, especially on the defensive end and on the boards without Lee.

Reply #443972 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't want to offend all you hoops forum basketball experts but shot blocking is just as important if not more than positional one on one defending.
If you can deter people from coming in the lane or attacking the rim than you provide that inside presence which is much more intimidating for a player trying to score.
Bogut is slow and his team has poor defenders which doesn't help him. I'm a Aussie and I can honestly say from watching Adams early on his game suits the NBA much more than bogut. He is quick and can bang, also he plays positional defence very well. I believe he will have a better career than bogut

Reply #443977 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If you can deter people from coming into the lane with your positional D it is even more effective, as your man isnt left alone for a dump-off or o-board while youre chasing a block.

Bogut is effective in both ways, and also has good hands for a big guy.

Adams very well might have a better career than Bogut, especially if he stays away from major injuries, but right now Bogut is a very influential player, as shown in last year's playoffs.

Reply #443979 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Errr. Golden state has the best defense in the league right now. Not sure where you are getting your little anecdotal eye test factoids from...

Not only that, but now they have an elite wing defender in iggy along with guys like bazemore, thompson and Douglas who are coming along nicely on that end.

To say that golden state is poor defensively because of Stephen curry is like saying They are poor offensively because andrew bogut has a bad elbow and cant shoot.

Look at the numbers before you even think about touching that keyboard again.

Shot blocking is the single most overrated stat in basketball.

Reply #443981 | Report this post

reggie  
Years ago

bogut takes more charges than any other centre

Reply #443983 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Mick, GSW is second in defensive efficiency.
http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/teamstats/_/sort/defensiveEff/order/true

Can't argue with second in the league, but Steph Curry could lock down the ball a little more. It's the ability to stop the ball that separates good from great in the playoffs. To me, that's the single most important thing in winning a championship, hence why a superstar point guard hasn't won a ring in god knows how long.

Come the crunch (post-season), I doubt GSW will be in the top three because of that single element. Maybe even top four if Memphis hit their straps. The more I watch NBA (and basketball in general) the more I am of the opinion that offence is overrated as a whole. Especially in the NBA, guys will put the ball in the bucket--they all can.

Reply #444008 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Going back to the OP good on Adams for doing so well early on in his career. We have plenty of threads about Mills,Delly and Bogut so I see no problem in an Adams thread. He is getting meaningful minutes on a contending team in his rookie season which is great for his development.

Reply #444013 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Nice catch ss.

Absolutely agree too. superstar point guards are way overrated. Unless you count Parker, no championships have been won with one since isaiah. Guys like rondo, nash, williams or paul use way too much shot clock on the initial dribble to be efficient. Give me parker or George hill any day.

Everytime I think offense is overrated though I see tom thibodeau coach and it brings me back to earth. Such a fantastic defensive mind but couldn't coach a layup line.

Curry is a rare bird though because we haven't seen a volume shooter at that psoition with that level of efficiency maybe ever. Plus iggy can guard PGs, and sg is probably the weakest position in the league right now so you can hide curry there.

Reply #444034 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Well if you count Parker, you count Billups.
Come playoffs, how does GSW deal with KD and RW? There aren't two Iguodala's on the team. Do you rely on the second line of D?

Reply #444036 | Report this post

Double D  
Years ago

BEST thread on Hoops for a while.

Its clear some people don't understand how defense actually works and its great to hear it explained so well in response.

Interesting thoughts on PG's, even more so on Curry. Steph is something else....
If GSW can build some consistent team D, and Bogut + Curry are healthy come playoff time then they are really gonna come close to taking the West.

back to the OP, I'm loving the look of Adams. He looks so natural, great body shape, long but not too light or too heavy, really helps for a bigman's quest to stay injury free. Nice hands and moves so well, seems to be in the right place at the right time. BIG future.

If OKC wants to win a 'ship they need to PAY THE TAX! and get a new coach. But they won't and will see both Russ and Kev leave OKC at the end of their current contracts. Then maybe the Thunder will be sold back to Seattle?

Reply #444037 | Report this post

mb34st  
Years ago

Pop seems to rate Bogut and the Dubs

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/10/spurs-coach-popovich-believes-warriors-are-for-real/

Reply #444086 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

It was a much tougher night at the office for Steven Adams Vs the Wizards.
The game went to overtime but the Thunder snuck away with the Win.

Adams and Kendrick Perkins both went 0/3 from the field and both finished with only 1 point each.
Adams had an offensive rebound and a defensive rebound & 2 blocked shots in his 19 minutes of play.

Kevin Durant had a double double of 33 points 13 boards 6 assists & a block and Westbrook had 13.
Serge Ibaka stepped up with 25 points 12 rebounds & 3 blocks.
For the Wizards Beale high scored with 34 and Wall had 10 points 8 assists.

Reply #444111 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

It just goes to show how tough an NBA schedule can be with 82 games and some back to backs, especially for someone with only 1 season of college ball. As he develops I think he will have more good games than bad ones.

Reply #444117 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

What a shame these two bigs can't play against one another in an Aus v NZ game, then some questions could be answered...

Reply #444118 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Can't have been many rebound left to snare between Ibaka and Durants haul also

Reply #444126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahaha horford sanders Garnett and bosh better defenders????? Are you serious? guess people don't understand how good a job Bogut does.

As for Steven Adams being better or going to be better, that's a big call and way to early to say. He is not as good as Bogut in a lot of ways even though being quicker and athletic.

And to the person who says shot blocking is more important, I'm not so sure. I'd rather have zero blocks but allow a lower percentage of shots in the paint rather than lead the league in blocks but also shots in the paint. Pretty sure most times team who shoots in paint more times will win regardless of shot blocking.

Reply #444278 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:04 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754