Hoops Packer
Years ago

Referee Scott Butler retires

The great Scott butler has retired from refereeing "effective immediately" according to his Facebook page. What does this mean for the nbl? Anyway congratulations on a huge and successful career and well done. We need more refs like you around Scott.

Topic #33085 | Report this topic

POP  
Years ago

Along a similar line, what has become of Phil Haynes? Probably should know, but don't. Have been wondering, watching some of the current whistle blowers.

Reply #444163 | Report this post

Haydo  
Years ago

I think Haynes snapped his Achilles.

Reply #444167 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Phil retired at the end of last season.

Reply #444168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bad news for Scott and the NBL, he was a great Referee.
After watching some of the up and comers on the WNBL on the weekend god help us over the next few years if that's what's coming through the ranks.

Reply #444170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Scott + Mal = impossible working relationship.

Reply #444179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mal will win. Scott who?

Reply #444184 | Report this post

Hoops Packer  
Years ago

Phil retired from able body but rumor has it will still try to compete for gold at the next Paralympics. Anyone who referees at that level is talented. No matter how bias anyone gets that's a fact. Who doesn't have talent coming through.

Reply #444190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The reason butler retired because he dont see eye to eye with Mal Cooper.clash in the preseason game recently forced him to retire.A quality referee alongside Aylen and Mayberry,respected by players with his communication etcAlways a fan of butlers refereeing.not many good referees around now ,bring up the next batch quicklly.

Reply #444195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To those referees above commenting on your speculation about Mal + Scotts relationship pull your frigging head in. Scott could has and did work with every referee manager from Fox, Mildenhall, Tilden, Carey and now Cooper. The simple fact is his body was broken and for his long term health he made the decision to retire. His knee is just done.

The rest of the bullshit above alleged runor innuendo and quiet frankly rumor mongering and rubbish.

Let our 3rd most experienced and decorated referee retire in peace.

All of you above commenting in alleged friction should be ashamed of yourselves.

Reply #444204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Scott Butler said "Unfortunately my knee injury has not recovered enough for me to run a game and I will continue to damage my knee if I keep pushing my body. In fact, if I continue I will need a complete knee replacement in less than 5 years."

Reply #444218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon 184

I'd put Scott's record up against Mal's any day of the week. 2 Olympic games, Women's Bronze Medal game Beijing, Men's Gold Medal emergency 2004, 2008. 2 Men's Senior World Championships, multiple stankovic cups, diamond ball tournaments, multiple junior world championships, 4 time NBL referee of the year, 550+ NBL games, 30+ Grand Final series games....

Against...1 maybe 2 junior worlds....550+ NBL games for Mal!!

Gee I know who's career i'd rather have.

Reply #444219 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How old is Butler?

Reply #444329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Age isn't a factor for Butler, in fact it should never be a factor for any official retiring or being forced to retire.

As long as they're fit, still able to do the job properly and consistently age shouldn't matter.

You can't teach experience, you have to learn it over years of exposure.

We need to keep our most experienced officials involved as long as we can, officiating is one area of sport where youth policy is definitely not the best way forward.

Reply #444331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Butler just turned 43

Reply #444335 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a shame so young and one of the best but has to give it away.

Reply #444355 | Report this post

Hoops Packer  
Years ago

Hope to see him out as a referee coach putting back!

Reply #445184 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:19 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754