True Fan
Years ago

NBL CEO asking for #NBLDreamList.. WTF

I can't believe Fraser Neil is asking NBL fans on Twitter to give their #NBLDreamlist. This guy was hired by he NBL owners on a $300K salary and within a couple months he is asking the fans what they think is wrong with the NBL.

OMFG.. "ARE YOU KIDDING ME"

The #1 mistake is hiring a guy(Neil Fraser) who have absolutely ZERO/NONE/00000 understanding of basketball. So therefore he CANT sell the NBL to the Corporate world and CANT do so with PASSION!

I have been a NBL fan for over 25 years. I'm close with numerous players both former & current and based on their thoughts I can give a NBLDreamlist of 50 things the NBL should be doing to regain the respect in Australia's Sporting Community but I will keep it to just 2.

#1.. Hire a CEO with basketball experience from playing or coaching or as a administrator. Someone that understands basketball and know the history of the NBL. A person that will connect with the basketball community Australia wide from Grassroots level to Basketball Associations who rightly so, feel they have lost all contact with the NBL and its teams.

#2.. If #1 doesn't happen and Fraser Neil remain CEO, the NBL will loose all its credibility and risk dropping to SEABL standard within the next 1-3 years. The Hawks, Cairns & Crocs will not survive and there will NO Brisbane Bullet or 2nd Mel team.

WAKEUP NBL OWNERS.. WAKEUP FAST!

Topic #33114 | Report this topic

The Situation  
Years ago

That's not how it went down so shut up.

Reply #444567 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

The last thing the league needs is another basketballer in the chair. It needs savvy experienced sports administrators, promoters and business people.

Personally I think it is brilliant that the CEO has acknowledged fans directly

Reply #444568 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Funny that OP suggests the CEO does what he can to connect with the fans but then chastises the CEO for doing exactly that.

Reply #444570 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

I (ATF) actually started it.. Then it took off. I had a few ideas I tweeted and everyone else joined in.

Personally I think it's great he acknowledged it.

Reply #444572 | Report this post

Pauly B  
Years ago

I think it's great that the CEO is willing to mix it up with the fans and ask for feedback on what WE would like to see. Better than sitting in the ivory tower just telling us what we want. That's what we've had for years and look what happened.

Fraser is giving us a different approach which is exactly what the league needs instead of just trudging away with the same old ideas that have failed to capture the broader public.

Reply #444574 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I like it too. Plus basketball CEOs have hardly propelled us to heights anyway.

Sorry OP, disagree with you.

Reply #444576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great idea. Engage, engage, engage.

Reply #444577 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

He's doing what every CEO does goddammit. OP obviously knows nothing about business management theory.

In layman's terms, CEO's make decisions based on data. That data needs to be the most reliable. Every second day on the news, you hear about companies spending millions into a certain research project or study of that research. It is not the CEO's job to make decisions without fact, that's why he is going to the fans for input.

Using statistical jargon, fans responding to Neill's call for input are the most 'representative' and 'reliable' sources of primary research. What Neill is doing is exactly what he should be--finding the most appropriate data to make decisions on.

Further, NBL fans will only appreciate a CEO asking for their own input to expand the brand they love. Win-win.

Reply #444578 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Every good CEO*

Reply #444579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is the link to what Fraser Neill is discussing with the fans?

Reply #444580 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Good job ATF for getting this trending etc.

Reply #444583 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Awesome rant, OP.

Reply #444584 | Report this post

True Fan  
Years ago

All the suggestions by the fans should have discussed within NBL Owners meetings by now and they could have compiled a list as long as runway.. They are all very simple suggestions one in which it doesn't require a PHD!

Basketball is a great game that has a huge following in Australia but lacks direction & basketball experience at NBL team level up to NBL HO which is why current memberships are low.

Reply #444586 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

I can't get over the fact that it has the second highest participation rate in the country!

Granted it's an indoor sport, but still. That's something we should actually look to exploit.

Reply #444590 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Wait, the rant isn't over.

Reply #444591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Uh what ^ ??

Reply #444592 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

That is some good ole non sensical ranting there true fan. Do you have a newsletter I can subscribe to?

Reply #444594 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

True Fan, do you actually think it matters if the league has already listed these ideas internally? You appear to have missed the process and point of it.

And how did Sengstock do? When did Stern play NBA?

Reply #444596 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

I think it was a great idea. Fan feedback is the best way to improve a league. True Fan I don't know what you are on about. Just another negative fan?

Reply #444597 | Report this post

Negative Fan  
Years ago

Hey, don't bring me in to this!

Reply #444598 | Report this post

True Fan  
Years ago

Issac, I'm very aware of the process and more importantly what the priorities should be.

As far as Stern.. I wouldn't never speak of Neil in the breath as Stern, NO comparison!

Reply #444602 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At least Fraser is listening to fans suggestions.

Keneally couldn't have given a crap what the fans had to say

Reply #444603 | Report this post

True Fan  
Years ago

Anon, totally agree with you about Keneally.

She is just getting paid to send press releases written by BA staff.

Reply #444605 | Report this post

True Fan  
Years ago

Anon,(part 2) She was a headache hopefully the NBL owners doesn't have to worry about anymore.

Reply #444607 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Hey True Fan, is it true that you're a true fan?

Reply #444611 | Report this post

True Fan  
Years ago

Paul, I'm a big NBL fan mate and have been for many years. I get very frustrated when key stakeholders in the NBL continue to make poor decisions that will have a huge affect on its existence long term. Decisions that current Australian players will feel they are better off playing O/S.

Watch this space...

Reply #444615 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

True fan, I don't think you will see a mass exodus of players to Europe and subsequent folding of the league.

As stated in Boti's article, players have a certain guardianship of their league--they'll do whatever they can to keep it. After all, it is their job and livelihood. You will always have full support from them.

Reply #444616 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Bad OP, bad. Very naughty.

Reply #444621 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

So no actual acknowledgement from True Fan that he flew off the rails with little to no knowledge of how it actually started? Typical...

It was great to get such a thing started and trending and great of the CEO to actually acknowledge, as someone else has said, KK wouldn't have given a rats about it...

Some where ridiculous, some were very simple, some might even be possible... Hopefully the league and the teams have been looking and paying attention...

Reply #444622 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Seems perfectly reasonable management strategy; immediate and efficient low cost feedback. Align it with feedback of club owners and CEO's and Mr. Neil has a list of priorities before him that can be researched and developed before the beginning of next season.

True Fan, any chance you are also a keen observer/commentor on the deficiencies of the Townsville Crocs?

Reply #444626 | Report this post

GuesswhosBACK  
Years ago

WOW... omg, how dare a CEO want fan opinion!

What an utter fool this man must be, to think the fans know what they want!

... listening to his interviews and what not, true fan.. I am positive frasier neill knows where the league stands.

As for needing to be headed by a basketball person, sorry.. thats how we keep getting into these messes... Basketball heads with no corporate success trying to play the game of selling a product when their skills are more suited maybe to coaching or player development.

And I can definitely imagine what Kristina Keneallys response would have been to anything like this. "Australias womens team have hit the podium 4 out of the past 5 olympics.. we have one of the highest participation rates in the country.. I am not sure if this is relevant to the situation but I am Kristina Keneally... all media keep away!"

Plus with Frasier asking the question.. it is possible a new idea he hadn't considered could arise.. or he could have an idea hes already sitting on reconfirmed to him. WOW... True Fan, I think the man should personally apologise to you for taking an interest in his job!

Reply #444629 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

is the OP Corletto???

Reply #444631 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$300,000 a year? Thats about as crap as the topic.

Reply #444635 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

True Fan, you raised the concept that a sports CEO needed a direct background in that sport. Stern was a lawyer before taking the NBA through 30 successful years. You've done an exceptionally poor job of arguing your points or responding to counterpoints.

Reply #444640 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Great stuff by ATF!

Reply #444660 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I'd hope that league HQ takes the list and splits the wishlist in to three groups. Those that can be fixed immediately/with minimal effort (website, nbl.tv, social media engagement), those that are achievable but will take time (new tv deal, second team in whatever city) and those that come from people that have zero idea about anything but just think that stating pie in the sky stuff makes them an expert (filter for @danieleade for those suggestions).

Reply #444665 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

Isaac from memory David Stern did play pro before joining the NBA in a little known league in NYC called LLL (Little Lawyers League) the rims aren't very high (6ft from memory player on a 1/4 court) and scores are kept private so not to offend anyone, but the IP, merchandising and television rights from the league alone are worth a fortune.

in seriousness, I like the idea of a CEO engaging fans and hearing what (the people who keep the league afloat) they want from the NBL, rather than arrogantly assuming you know what the fans want.

Reply #444675 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

On an aside, do you think increasing the NBL court size to NBA dimensions (it is wider and larger 3 point dimensions) coupled with the Three Second Defense rule would be of benefit to the NBL and increase the number of dunks in the league?

I acknowledge that there is a very real possibility that it would just reduce the 3 point shooting percentage to embarrassing numbers across the league, but the potential to increase exciting plays by freeing up inside lanes to enable more dunks does seem appealing

Reply #444682 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Is OP Clint Dogg?

Reply #444684 | Report this post

GuesswhosBACK  
Years ago

Lance I remember when 3 point lines were extended a bit a few years ago, there was a period of adjustment where no one could shoot then soon enough they got it together... I think its an idea to look at. But more important then extending a court to me is making the courts look better on TV, and showing the game from better camera angles that allow you to see the nuances of the game better...

Reply #444688 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Lance, I dont think the 3-point line would make a difference for athletic plays given there isnt as big a difference anymore.

Re the defensive three seconds, it could, but I think the biggest difference is if we start strictly calling fouls on players who step under elevating players as they do in most places.

Defenders dont sit in the key so much anymore because big guys can shoot, I think it's the threat of getting a charge because someone stepped in under you at the last minute that reduces players attacking the rim really hard in the half court.

Reply #444690 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

NBA is on track to break the record for threes attempted this season.

Reply #444698 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Certainly agree with widening the court a little. Too many players are still stepping out of bounds. Sure this is fundamental and they should be getting it right, but the narrow court doesn't help.

Reply #444700 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

The narrow court doesn't help, but surely neither does flinging your leg back before you go in the opposite direction?

Reply #444752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$300K salary lolwut. His track record with NSW Rugby is atrocious. How do these ppl keep getting employed, must have the gift of the gab.

Reply #444784 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:56 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754