Anonymous
Years ago

Intentional Fouls in the NBL

So i wanted to gauge people's reaction on the intentional foul.

I understand the concept of it, but i wonder why it is not also attributed to those fouls made late in the fourth quarter to send the other team to the line ie: cairns on thursday night against the cats

Surely when the team is 0 fouls with 2 minutes to go and get 3 fouls in 20-30secs, they're "intentional" fouls. They're not fouls caused by being aggressive under the basket or a mistimed hand in. They're performing an action intending to get the foul to send the other team to the line.

Just wonder why its not ref'd the same!

Footnote: Im a crocs fan, just in case people were going to start calling me a whinging cats fan

Topic #33144 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

You mean "Unsportsman like" Foul.

If the play is for the ball the official has no choice or reason but to call a normal foul, an "Un Sportsman like" Foul is a foul made with no intent on the ball, i.e grabbing around the waist on a turnover/steal .

Reply #445399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

a call was made against a hawks player tonight, for intentionally grabbing a wildcat players arm after he shot the ball. little harsh however they have always been the rules so lets go with them

Reply #445409 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Technically they are intentional so they should be called technical fouls.

Reply #445415 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Technical fouls are for behavioral issues, Unsportsmanlike fouls are for contact

Reply #445421 | Report this post

catching fire  
Years ago

i would make it quite clear if you are to call an unsportsmanlike on a last few minutes deliberate foul.

the defensive team will spew no end - as they are trying to put them on the stripe - an unsportsmanlike will put them on the stripe and keep possession.

some scenarios in the usa lead to 1 and 1 so they may do it a bit more on a bad foul shooter.

Reply #445429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Call the game the same from start to end and everyone is happy. Don't go letting things go or over calling it just because it's at the end of the game.

Reply #445431 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

To clarify - unsportsmanlike is where no play has been made for the ball - the contact was to stop the player ( or the clock ) The fouls at the end of a game to stop the clock could be unsportsmanlike if the rules were followed to the letter.

Reply #445435 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Is that what we want though?

Reply #445436 | Report this post

rule check  
Years ago

the rule was changed from intentional to unsportsmanlike for this reason.

It's not being a poor sport fouling to stop the clock so under the current rules so long as you play the ball and it's not a hard foul then your fine

that's why any decent ballers would at least make it look like they are going for the steal

if your silly enough to just grab and pull the arm or push in the back then your likely going to get an unsportsmanlike foul anyway

Reply #445440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spinner, as long as the play is for the ball does it matter why he fouls? The last thing we need is Ref's trying to become mind readers too.

Reply #445464 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

They must be mind readers - in one game I coached I asked a ref if I could get in trouble for what I thought of his fellow ref - a tech quickly followed!!!!

Reply #445524 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:20 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754