TWA888
Years ago

The Return of the Victorian Basketball League

The potential of an elite semi-professional basketball league in Victoria is something that has interested me for some time now. It's both exciting and frustrating to see what we could have.

There has been plenty of debate about teams moving around and now that the SEABL and BigV seemed to be settled without any change- I'm going to throw my own little utopian idea of a new 'Victorian Basketball League' out here.

I'm sure it will cause some stir between the SEABL purists and BigV fans- however I don't think anyone can doubt that this will be one hell of a league!

I'll get straight to the structure and put some notes in later. Basically, this has been done on last years final standings, with the Victorian SEABL clubs given the first 10 spots.

VBL Championship
1 Bendigo
2 Geelong
3 Nunawading
4 Dandenong
5 Kilsyth
6 Sandringham
7 Frankston
8 Albury/Wodonga
9 Knox
10 Ballarat
11 Bulleen
12 Corio Bay

VBL Division 1
1 Waverley
2 Ringwood
3 Diamond Valley
4 Etham
5 Werribbee
6 Broadmeadows
7 Sherbrooke
8 Melbourne
9 Whittlesea
10 Hawthorn
11 McKinnon
12 Mildura

VBL Division 2
1 LaTrobe
2 Chelsea
3 Southern Peninsula
4 Blackburn
5 Sunbury
6 Camberwell
7 Altona
8 Warrandyte
9 Warnambool
10 Craigieburn
11 Melton
12 Keilor

*This is based on the Senior Men only. Ideally the Women's and Youth competitions would have enough teams to replicate this structure.

*Yes I've left out a couple of teams. Geelong reduced to one side. I also believe that Melbourne Uni and Maccabi should be left out as they do not have junior programs.

*Each division has 12 teams. This means no conferences, the same amount of games played each season and a more balanced structure.

*The top 2 teams in D1 and D2 will be promoted at seasons end. This will be the Minor Premier and Division Champion. In the event this is the same team, the Grand Final Runner-Up is promoted.

*The bottom 2 teams in Championship and D1 are demoted. Based simply on final ladder position. D2 relegations discussed later.

*By knowing where they will be playing the following year before the end of the season- clubs can begin recruiting and re-signing players or players can begin finding a new club right away. The current wait until after tryouts to know which division you will be in makes recruiting hard for clubs and choosing a team hard for players.

*The lower teams can't give up early if it means they will be demoted. SEABL teams know they can finish bottom and be back next season if they pay their entry fee. Too many teams in BigV throw in the towel early and then spin some story about how much better they will be next year to avoid being demoted.

For teams outside the top 36, the VBL can run some 'development leagues' to help teams prepare for playing VBL in the future. The structure may not be a rigid as the divisions above and can allow for new team entires to see how they stack up before moving up. They may choose to run regionalised conferences, shorter season and other modifications to allow developing clubs to adapt to state senior competitions.

VBL Metro D-League
1 Pakenham
2 Keysborough
3 Mornington
4 Western Port
5 Casey
6 Coburg
7 Bellarine
8 Collingwood
9 Darebin
10 Oakleigh
11 Sunshine
12 Wallan

VBL Country D-League
1 Shepparton
2 Horsham
3 Echuca
4 Ararat
5 Castlemaine
6 Maryborough
7 Moe
8 Sale
9 Seymour
10 Stawell
11 Swan Hill
12 Taralgon

*I've done a bit of research, but there may be teams here who aren't yet ready or clubs who are and I've missed- but trying to give an example of the depth and strength of these competitions.

*In terms of promotion, I'm not 100% on how this could best work. Perhaps the top Metro and Country team are promoted and the bottom 2 teams in D2 are demoted (regardless of whether they are Metro or Country). You could go Metro for Metro and Country for County, but it may mean Warnambool and Shepparton/Horsham alternating each year.

*No teams would need to be demoted from the D-Leagues. Natural attrition would see the bottom teams drop off and new clubs have their shot at playing VBL.

While it may be a pipe-dream- I think this could be a massive thing for Basketball in Victoria if it were to happen. The pros include;

*A truly competitive league. If you want to move up a division, or not drop down, you can't take a season off. There are teams in all leagues or divisions who know they can float through if the start of their season doesn't go well and SEABL won't drop them or BigV won't demote them. Teams on the way up have a clear goal to aim for if they want to be promoted. It would be great to see the bottom few teams play each other in the final few rounds and there still be something on the line, rather than the benches running around because the imports and marquee players have been sent packing to save money.

*The money saved by SEABL teams on flights and accommodation could be used to lure better imports, keep local players away from AFL or *gulp* they could even put some of it back into the juniors! The top BigV clubs are also going to improve their recruiting if they are now playing in the top tier in Victoria, not losing players to SEABL clubs.

*The combined resources and audiences of both Leagues should really boost the off-court professionalism, standard and profile state-wide.

I'm sure there are some cons as well and I'll leave it for discussion. However this is something I have thought a lot about and want to see what everyone else's thoughts are.

Topic #33166 | Report this topic

paul  
Years ago

It's a great idea, no doubt. If you come up with an idea with how it could happen that would be even greater!

Reply #445833 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Submit it to BA aha no maybe the Vic Sports governing body for basketball?

Reply #445835 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

In some respects that structure returns VBA, rather than VBL. Lots of people still say they would like Wednesday night championship back.

Reply #445836 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Maybe that's the way to do it, run it on a Tues or Weds night. Potentially it could just replace a training session.

Reply #445841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Basketball hasn't been the same since the demise of Wednesday night and Albert Park, the competition was a cross between NBL and SEABL and it improved everyone from the players to the officials who got to do more decent games.

Reply #445853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Play it from October - through until Feb/March.

It's the summer season. The break for the state leagues and SEABL is too long.

Reply #445873 | Report this post

lel  
Years ago

'The break for the state leagues and SEABL is too long.'
agreed 100%. Way too long.

Reply #445881 | Report this post

lel  
Years ago

'The break for the state leagues and SEABL is too long.'
agreed 100%. Way too long.

Reply #445882 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Is that the case? Or do those leagues not run long enough? Seems like QBL starts very late, BigV doesn't extend much into September.

Most other winter sports leagues tend to start first weekend in April or a little earlier and then, in Victoria at least, finals are played out well into September.

Someone pointed out to me recently that BigV has really pared back the number of games in a season - so instead of 22 games its like cast in stone that you play 18.

Reply #445883 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

This idea would be absolutely ideal, but there are too many egos in the way and too many people who make decisions who's jobs would be in jeopardy. Unfortunately the few ppl this would affect will not allow this to happen.

Reply #445884 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

TWA888, we sort of started a discussion like this in the SEABL future thread a little while back.

What do you want this league to be? Is the idea that the top division becomes the feeder league to the NBL?

I think you have real weaknesses with promotion/relegation - same problem that the under-pinning league had - teams with shit venues being promoted up, and mens teams being demoted while womens teams from the same becoming unsustainable continuing to play at a higher level.

Nice structure though!

Reply #445887 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think either a midweek comp or a summer comp could work. If it's a summer comp it prob needs to be without imports (or working holiday imports only) otherwise teams might be tempted into spending money they cant really afford.

It would be good to see some sort of genuine state champ though, I remember going to watch the VBA as a kid, it actually got a little bit of mainstream press back in the early years.

Reply #445895 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Venues and their capacity, or overall standard come into play I feel. In the example provided there is a potential top 12 where every team has a venue of a standard or capacity of the current SEABL competition, except Corio Bay.

Notwithstanding the efforts in upgrades and improvements there recently, a crowd of 300 can't compare with that of 1,500 or more.

In this case sharing the Arena could solve an issue and make it viable down here in sleepy hollow...

My point is the same as one above, for this concept to even be considered there would have to be cooperation and egos put aside!

Nice idea though...

Reply #445905 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

If it were a summer league or mid-week comp i think it would be best without imports...but the venue issue could be a probelm as mentioned before.

That said in a perfect world it would be great but in reality with issues like: politics, venues, $$$ just to name a few can't see it really happening.

Reply #445923 | Report this post

At what stage will the venue standards issue be shelved? Are you blind bear? When has any seabl game last attracted 1500 people.... I know for a fact it hasn't happened at the Arena for years!
All stadiums have low crowds, look at the images, the clips, the people ain't there like the old days.
Packed smaller gyms are tougher to play in than bit morgues.

Reply #446041 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Venues isnt an issue if it's separate to SEABL and Big V eg summer or midweek. Look at some of the gyms NBL plays pre-season in.

Reply #446042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So you want to install ANOTHER league in Vic ? Even though we already have SEABL, BIG V, MMBL, a little league known as the NBL and god knows how many domestic comps ? Yeah great idea mate. Where do you plan on playing this ? Open air courts as thats about all thats left now. How do you plan on getting decent refs and bench officials ? Big V and SEABL cant get enough now with the YL comp full of snotty nosed kids who couldnt call a brown dog home.

Reply #446044 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Bear in the woods.

The venue issue is not just about crowds, its about crappy facilities, crappy changerooms, shared public/team toilets, crappy canteens, crappy sound systems, uncomfortable seating, outhouse quality public toilets....

But, crowds is an issue, and you have to set minimum standards for crowds to be seated publicly. TWA888 I think is proposing a new league from the merger of SEABL/bigV teams and in that environment, you would want better crowds for the top division. You can't promote a team in a venue like Sunbury or Craigieburn (no disrespect to either) to the top flight when there are venues like Bendigo, Knox and Dandenong in the league.

As for crowd numbers, no way you can set a top tier like that at below 600 seating, but then you should be punishing clubs where they are not getting to say 75% of capacity regularly.

Reply #446052 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Anon two above, there are plenty available if it's at a different time!

Reply #446057 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The problem with a mid-week comp is rural teams. No one is going to be able to travel to say albury in a Wednesday night for a game. Its semi pro/amateur, players need to work etc.

The problem with a summer weekend end league from an operational point of view is referees. The best go off to nbl/wnbl leaving a poor quality pool. Add to the fact everyone needs a break, whether its players, referees whomever. You can continually go 12 months a year physically and mentally.

Reply #446114 | Report this post

bethdavis10  
Years ago

Bear In The Woods - The Arena has a seating capacity of 1108 seats, plus corporate boxes, plus bar and standing room. In the years 2010-2012 there were regularly sold out games which had between 1300-1600 people in attendance.

I know for a fact ;)

Reply #446130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul: I dont know what suburb your in but there are NOT plenty of courts avaialable for a serious elite league. Not every court has a shot clock and half the schools have not updated the new court lines. With all the Rep and domestic training sessions plus all the domestic comps I doubt you could find a decent court anywhere.

Reply #446135 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

It would be good for the OP to clarify their intent. I don't think they were talking about adding a new league, or a new timeslot, or mid-week. I got the distinct impression they were proposing a model they believed would improve on what was currently in place.

Reply #446137 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

They were, but the discussion has evolved since then.

Reply #446140 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Or its got off track. Probably that.

Reply #446143 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

No, I think it's moved to something that might actually be possible, because the likelihood of Big V and SEABL Vic teams merging into one comp is very low.

Reply #446145 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

No. Its got off track. TWA888 has made a reasonably thought out proposal, even if it requires a merger. The chances of the alternatives being proposed here are even lower.

Reply #446147 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I disagree, I think there are more likely to be games between SEABL and Big V teams in a parallel comp than a merger. Who knows though? Only time will tell.

Reply #446150 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I can't see it happening, because I am obviously blind...

I know a joke about a bear in the woods, something to do with a rabbit and I will leave it there!

Reply #446227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm sick of playing big v in uneven competitions so I would like there to be divisions with the same amount of teams.

Reply #446241 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:20 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754