Isaac
Years ago

AIS/CoE teams to play in 2014 SEABL

CoE is the new name for the AIS, is that right?

BASKETBALL AUSTRALIA NATIONAL CENTRE OF EXCELLENCE TEAM TO COMPETE IN 2014 SEABL SEASON

The Basketball Australia National Centre of Excellence (CoE) will enter men's and women’s teams into the SEABL for the upcoming 2014 season.

In a major development for the CoE, scholarship athletes will form the two teams that will compete in the SEABL competition in a truncated capacity, working around national team program commitments.

Basketball Australia General Manager of High Performance, Steven Icke said the opportunity to participate in a competition of the quality of the SEABL will play a significant role in player development.

"With Basketball Australia taking carriage of the Australian Institute of Sport (AIS) basketball program at the Centre of Excellence in Canberra, we have been able to play a larger role in the direction of our elite junior development programs," Icke said.

“Participation in the SEABL competition was identified as an element of the new program that would help accelerate athlete development.

“The teams will get the crucial experience of playing in a national competition against senior opposition, in addition to experiencing the travel and time demands of life in league competition.”

The two CoE teams will play a reduced SEABL schedule, with wins and losses accrued during the season not counting towards playoff qualification. These results will be recorded, and the teams will occupy a position on their conference ladders, but cannot participate in playoffs.

The AIS program has previously fielded teams in league competition, with the women’s program participating in the WNBL from 1981 to 2012, winning the 1999 WNBL Championship led by Jayco Australian Opals stars Lauren Jackson and Penny Taylor.

From 1982 to 2010 the AIS men’s program participated in the SEABL, with a host of current day Australian Boomers stars getting their break in the SEABL, including Patty Mills and Andrew Bogut.

The teams will be coached by the respective CoE Associate Coaches to the men’s and women’s national team programs.

Full fixture details will be released by the SEABL ahead of the 2014 season.

Topic #33170 | Report this topic

Happy Days  
Years ago

Its about time!!!! Been a waste of taxpayers money the last few years with all these overseas jaunts.

Reply #445907 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Why has it been a waste? Our national teams have continued to perform very well.

Reply #445912 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Why would you keep going overseas when you can play in a high level competition for at least half the cost.There was nothing wrong with the way it was originally structured. Play SEABL plus a couple of overseas trips. Produced Bogut, Jackson, Mills, Anderson etc etc

Reply #445921 | Report this post

Alpha  
Years ago

Very good decision and will definitely attract those that did not see AIS as a good developing pathway. While our juniors had performed well in the Worlds, lack of competitive experience was evident especially in the finals at the U19 Worlds, not everyone was able to sustain the pressure and physicality of the contests.

Also @Isaac - CoE is under BA but supported by the AIS, which will continue to support all other sports in its capacity. So not the new name for the AIS

Reply #445924 | Report this post

CHOOK  
Years ago

Overseas trips are 100% vital to the COE athletes. They need to develop and learn what it takes to be an international athlete and just playing SEABL isn't going to do that. We are not going to win medals on the world stage without our athletes understanding all of the ins and outs of travel, tournament style play, foreign countries, quick recovery etc.

Entering back into SEABL is a fantastic step forwards and will definitely assist the athletes development but it is most certainly in conjunction with overseas tours.

Reply #445925 | Report this post

Alpha  
Years ago

@Chook

you are correct - this is in addition to overseas tours.

Reply #445928 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Very happy with this, always circled the AIS v Frankston game on my calendar to go and have a look. Will never forget Patty Mills scoring 41 and just showing speed I had never seen before, that was an exciting night!

Reply #445930 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Alpha, are the CoE teams they speak of basically what we knew of as the AIS teams, though?

Reply #445934 | Report this post

Alpha  
Years ago

Correct, the teams are basically the same except the AIS has no direct influence on the program and the direction as in the past, it is fully under BA including the funding and operations - Lemanis is the program head with associate managers in charge of the men's and women's programs. As far as I know they have not appointed a men's CoE coach yet but will happen soon.

Reply #445935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What happened to Stacker?

Reply #445936 | Report this post

Alpha  
Years ago

Not with the program any more. I believe he moved back to Vic.

Reply #445938 | Report this post

Proud Dad  
Years ago

I also think this is a great move.
If you have the chance, get along and watch some of these games and see the talent coming through. Some of these kids are awesome...

Reply #445941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stacker was moved on,well not moved on he knew his time was up so he moved on.
Lazy!!
Ian Slacker they called him.

Reply #445943 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Best games of the year to watch. If you've followed them over the years you will of seen Australias best.

Reply #445947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's hope they play a full season including finals if they are lucky enough to get there this time around.
The wank fest that saw them withdraw only to play elite overseas tournaments was a joke. Undoubtedly they need that internation experience, but making a good to great player requires team work all year round. Playing in the SEABL isn't about glamour, it's a character building excecise of the highest order.
NO elitest overseas only tournamets is and was a poor ideal. It gives these young kids too much self importance way too ealry.

Reply #445954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clarke Ran an outstanding program!!

Reply #445959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any idea who will be in the men's AIS team for 2014?

Isaac Humphries?
Kyle Clark?
Will White?

Reply #445965 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

So if they can't play in the play off's how will it effect the SEABL comp in terms of teams resting players etc?

I think this is great for the CoE/AIS as week to week league play helps develop the talent and prepares them from the rigors of NCAA/Pro league play as its not all about winning under 19/17 tourney's but developing future boomers and getting them ready to play in high quality leagues NBA,Euroleagueand thus then the Olympics

Reply #445975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When does the SEABL season start?

Reply #445986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty sure I heard Phil Brown was the new mens coach (moving over from the women).

Reply #446001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Happy Days - you do realise that Word Championships and Olympics mirror these overseas "jaunts" don't you? Gold medals are won in tournaments, not season play!

Reply #446003 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

They might, but playing week-in, week-out together prepares a team well too, I think a mix of both is best. Our junior teams havent really done any better since they stopped competing in SEABL, so I dont think it was detracting from their performance.

Reply #446005 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

So many reasons why this is something which should have been considered long ago, however now it is going to return, great! Looking forward to watching our up and coming juniors, also adds that extra bit of interest to the SEABL competition IMO...

Reply #446007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow, Phil Brown to the Men?

Reply #446008 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

agree with CHOOK, and glad to hear this is all additional to the overseas trips

Reply #446015 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

So since they left SEABL what have the AIS teams been doing?

Reply #446019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No worse - and the issue about the AIS withdrawing from finals from the SEABL which draws ire from the SEABL die-hards hasn't happened.

Which wasn't your point - you said it was a "jaunt". Which it is not.

Reply #446027 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

World Champs, Albert Schwatzer tournament no problem with that but its where the rest of the taxpayers money that is being scrutinizsed by the government now.If you want the cash, then you need to justify your program. Alot of sports have had massive cuts to there funding by the federal government.

Reply #446031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If your kid was invited to the AIS/CoE would you let them go?

I'm serious, I wouldn't know the right answer so interested in opinions.

Also, does playing SEABL impact US college entry???

Reply #446076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SEABL does not affect college entry any more. So long as the potential college player is not paid.

Reply #446082 | Report this post

True Fan  
Years ago

This was the best decision for the basketball program at AIS in over a decade. You will now see
players attend the AIS that are both Talented and Raw but will feel they will develop quicker by playing against SEABL team that will also have imports along with borderline NBL players.

Lets hope these players also have the option to still pursue US college if they want.

Its WIN for the next generation of Australian BASKETBALLERS!

Reply #446083 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Someone told me recently that one of the main reasons the AIS was withdrawn from the SEABL was because the AIS had moved to a younger age group of players because of FIBA's change of age groups for World champs.

Is that correct?

If so does it mean that the next crop of SEABL team vs AIS team games will see younger athletes that might not be quite ready for the competition?

Reply #446086 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

HO i think you are right, not 100% sure but i seem to remember being told something along those lines.

My main concern with the AIS is the education side of things, as the very large majority of athletes i have spoken to who have attended the AIS have said the education simply sucks and is years behind. I know of one athlete who withdrew from the program as a result of the poor education, and another athlete who knocked back a position a couple of years ago for the same reason.

That aside and back on topic, excited to see them in the SEABL and think it is a good move.

I personally would chase a college pathway before an AIS pathway, but each to their own i guess.

Reply #446090 | Report this post

Alpha  
Years ago

The schooling is certainly tough and comes as an addition to a heavy workload so not surprised to hear these comments. Also they are simply a reflection of the contemporary society, which students are spoon fed required information. They want it all served on a silver platter - too lazy to seek information themselves, but those self motivated will certainly succeed.

Reply #446104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They attend a school in Canberra, not educated on campus you realise??

Reply #446118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the issue has been that kids attending good schools in other states have questioned the wisdom of dropping out and into a public school in Canberra. Particularly those with the view of getting into the US college system where a lower SAT score can limit your options.

Reply #446122 | Report this post

Rex  
Years ago

ST Marys at Moraga are rubbing their hands with glee

Reply #446125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My point is 70% of AIS kids go on to College, so it can't be too bad.

Reply #446131 | Report this post

Alpha  
Years ago

I have been in education for the past 25 years and while the system has been reviewed on so many occasions and modified and adjusted to current requirements, it always comes down to teacher/student interaction and self motivation. So works both ways...

I do know which school they go to in Canberra and again I will reiterate my point that the achievements are based on self motivation and individual interest. I have too spoken with the parents and past scholarship recipients and they all agreed that it was a public school but the support offered to the athletes was far greater than in their past schools. And these kids did attend private and public schools in Vic. Also I don't hear too many complaints about Melbourne high, ranked #1 in the state yet a public school. And you will find examples on both sides of the table, the fact is these kids are taken out of their comfort zones, which impacts on their overall performance. It would be interesting to see a study that compares high school performance of those going through the AIS and those outside of it and going to the college. The most important criterion for those outside would be to have the same amount of training per day.

Also our high system educational system is not created to satisfy SAT but is crafted for our University system. My advice to those interested in going to an US college - get tutors or enroll into on-line courses to prepare for a SAT test, don't think many can afford to send their kids to the states. Also SAT scores do differ among colleges but they are just one of the entry requirements.

Anyway, I think what has been proposed by BA is a really good move and really wish all the best to new scholarship recipients. I will personally try to find time and come to watch some of their games. Too bad we did not get a chance to see Dante in action.

Reply #446152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a joke this is. Yet again the CoE kids will not play a full SEABL season. No incentive for them and they as a younger group now will struggle big time more than in the previous AIS days.
Who made this decision? It seems that the SEABL member clubs didn't even get to vote on this.

Reply #446496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Expect Frolings kid to go there.

Reply #446549 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

#549, Froling's son has already been accepted, so he's a definite.

Reply #446550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry didnt realise.

Reply #446553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have you heard of this Kye Ibbotson kid he's coming through the ranks! BE AWARE

Reply #447104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks Kye!!

Reply #447107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The CoE team will play against every other team once - either home or away. Their inclusion raises the number of men's teams to 16, and women’s teams to 15." Mr Chivers further enthused about the CoE’s inclusion to SEABL.

"We worked diligently with BA to get a CoE team back into the competition, and to make the reduced fixture work, because we strongly feel this can be beneficial for everyone.”
So who is WE? The SEABL participants didn't vote on this at all.

Reply #447329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a development team to help our up and coming talent improve, so what does it matter if they play a full season or not. I would think it's about experience not winning.
why all the bitching about whether the seabl members agreed or not.

Reply #447336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"WE" would be the SEABL League. Unlike BigV SEABL as in its management steers its own ship without having to seek approval from every club.

Reply #447338 | Report this post

CHOOK  
Years ago

Anon 446496 -No incentive for them to play? Well I would like to think that the best young talent the country has to offer would go out to compete and to win every single game they play, whether finals are achievable or not. In a sense it could be a good thing for them to learn to flat out compete simply to win when there is no other prize on the line apart from getting the W on the day.

There seems to be a few whiners that SEABL clubs didn't get a vote. I say BOO BLOODY HOO. Your either scared of getting beat by 16-18 year olds or your a sour puss. This move will benefit the CoE kids immensely by playing against bigger, stronger bodies with experience on a semi regular basis. It will benefit the SEABL clubs with game attendances and you would think that it would most likely give the SEABL clubs the opportunity to tweak their games, because lets face it, the SEABL clubs should beat the CoE teams, so they can use that time to mix combos, try new looks at both ends of the floor and give some different guys more minutes.

Reply #447343 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ahhh here it is from the pro-SEABLers - thoughts Happy Days? As this pretty much mirrors the complaints of the SEABL teams last time they were in the league!

Reply #447355 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We loved playing the AIS, and now we can talk about playing against Bogut,Mills,Delly.

Reply #447357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This group are are kids now. Not the older age group as previously. Good luck to them, it seems everyone wants them.Men Vs Kids. I hope they don't get too demoralised over their 10 games.

Reply #447364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you will find a few amongst them that have already had a year or two playing in the SEABL comp. and I dare say nearly all would have been playing in local seniour mens/womens comps for a few years as well, so they will know what to expect.

Reply #447366 | Report this post

Meegan  
Years ago

On the whole I loved the AIS programs and what the coaches did for our young ballers. But sadly in the past few years the selection went away from real basketballers who coul dpl ay their position to very good athlete's and try to teach them how to play other roles. It has had a little success but overall has to be said, it has failed.

Good luck to the kids playing in the SEABL, will make for a good road double in Canberra.

Reply #447384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually Meegan, the criteria the whole time has been to develop players for the international game - thus 5'10" shooting guards are never selected, no matter how "real" they are at their position.

Reply #447390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There wont be road doubles.
Krebs is indeed of to the CoE.

Reply #447726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NO road doubles for the Coe, cos they won't play a full season as we already know.

Reply #447740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Patty Mills was a 5'11" shooting guard...

Reply #447767 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:42 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754