Dr Dunkenstein
Years ago

Kinsman - AIS Womens Head Coach

Congratulations to leading SA coach, Dean Kinsman. Dean will replace Phil Brown as the Head Coach of the AIS Women's Basketball Program.

Here is the link

"Kinsman appointed head coach of AIS Women's Basketball program

The Australian Institute of Sport (AIS) goes from strength to strength with news today of the appointment of Dean Kinsman as head coach of the AIS Women's Basketball Program.

Kinsman will replace Phil Brown who steps down on 1 August following a 20-year reign as head coach.

Kinsman has been the South Australian Country Development Officer and South Australia National ITC Program Country Head Coach for the past five years. He was also the Australian National Junior Women's Assistant Coach (2003-05) and assistant coach to the Adelaide Quit Lightning when they won WNBL championships in 1995 and 1996.

Kinsman said he was delighted to be given the opportunity to coach what is regarded internationally as perhaps the best 'finishing school' for basketballers in the world.

"The AIS is regarded throughout the world as being at the forefront of elite athlete development and the Institute's basketball program has a proud history of developing and producing some of the world's best basketballers," Kinsman said.

"I'm looking forward to helping build Australia's future in the basketball arena through the development of talented junior players."

AIS Director Professor Peter Fricker says Kinsman was the right person to continue the excellent work of Brown.

"I want to pay great credit to Phil Brown for the outstanding contribution and commitment that he has made to the success of the AIS Women's Basketball Program," Professor Fricker said.

"For the past 20 years he has played an integral part in the development of Australia's best young female basketball players."

"Dean is a coach of immeasurable talent and I'm sure he will continue the Institute's excellent work in producing talented basketball players who will go on to excel at the national and international levels of the game."

Basketball Australia Chief Executive Scott Derwin also welcomed the appointment of Kinsman.

"Dean has an intimate knowledge of Australia's elite basketball pathways and I couldn't think of a better person to guide Australia's talented young athletes in their quest for excellence."

Some of Australia's best basketball players have been products of the AIS Women's Basketball Program. They include Lauren Jackson, Trish Fallon, Suzy Batkovic and Penny Taylor.
"

Topic #3319 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

When does he start and how will it effect the Forstville senior womens team. They seem to struggle when he isn't there due to his Junior Womens Team commitments.

Reply #38192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

P.S. Great for Dean and SA Basketball

Reply #38193 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

according to the story August 1st.

Dean does a great deal of coaching here in SA, what sort of void will he be leaving. (not suggesting any negativity, simply his promotion will surely be felt by the posisitons he will vacate here in SA).

Who can/will fill his large coaching shoes?

Reply #38194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So he will miss the last 3 games and the finals. He will probably be able to get back on some weekends for games.

Can't agree with you more. Also SA Basketball, Country and Forestville in particular lose a great recruiter and developer. A couple of jobs up for grabs. But who is up to the standard that has been set.

Reply #38196 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Great news. Bad news for Forestville. I guess there will be development job up for grabs at BASA.

Reply #38197 | Report this post

Satish Dogra  
Years ago

Besides his coaching ability, which is very high, there just aren't enough coaches in our game with beards, so mad props to Dean for that as well.

Other great bearded coaches:

1) Phil Jackson with the Lakers
2) PJ Carlesimo
3) ?

Reply #38199 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

For your list of bearded coaches:

3) My dad as a primary school coach in the 80s. Exponent of the ol' flip a coin to start the "low 5" or "high 5" (ranked by playing number of course) each game and favouring substituting the entire bench on each time (obviously in the interest of giving everyone a go).

Reply #38201 | Report this post

Satish Dogra  
Years ago

Isaac,

I had him down at number 4.

Ken Cole would go close to number 5, I seem to remember him sporting a lot of growth at various stages but whether it constituted a full Kinsman-like beard is a matter for the Beard Tribunal.

Reply #38202 | Report this post

Matt Ryan  
Years ago

Yes, Dean will leave a great void at SA COUNTRY.

Due to his involvement with SA Country, team nominations for the Junior Country Carnivals increased dramatically!

Congratulations Dean!

Reply #38205 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Satish, surprised you haven't suggested Coaches Beard Week. Maybe slot it in during Mo'vember.

Reply #38210 | Report this post

Matt Ryan  
Years ago

Isaac,

I'm gonna be at the sturt vs f/ville match 2mor!

Finally you'll be able to put a face to all the stupid comments!

Reply #38212 | Report this post

Satish Dogra  
Years ago

I don't understand how basketball in this country can be in decline when concepts such as Coaches Beard Week and Mo'vember are being floated. We are talking surefire hits here people!

I for one would love to see Rupert Sapwell and KB come out with ZZ-top beards for the Norwood v Woodville match, or even Smyth v Goorjian with both of them sporting the Fu Manchu moustaches.

I need to reserve www.basketballcoachbeards.com right away!

Reply #38213 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Actually, I seriously think that Coaches Beard Week should happen.

The AFL has a themed week nearly every round, but they're so tame. Family Week. Rivalry Week, whatever.

I want Disco Week, Beard Week, Flair Week, Sweatband Week, Weak Week, who cares!

Matt, in that case, I'll be the one in disguise hiding in the corner. Under a blanket. In a box.

Reply #38225 | Report this post

Peter Maravich  
Years ago

matt, just ask around the Iraqies cheer section for the 'sick father'

Reply #38226 | Report this post

Satish Dogra  
Years ago

They're great ideas. Here are some more suggestions:

"I Got Next" Week: if any games go to overtime, they are resolved by the coaches of the teams going 1 on 1 for five minutes. Can you imagine the Joyce v Stacker 1 on 1 battle? Not too many fouls being owned up to in that one...

Uniform Week (aka Tuck Your Guts In Week): coaches have to coach the game clad in the uniform they wore in the last NBL game they PLAYED in.

Marcel Marceau Week: coaches are not permitted to speak during the game: they must conduct all timeouts, umpire chewouts etc in exaggerated mime.

Reply #38229 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

Satish - dont forget your infamous Meat Ox

Meat Truck week - in which we honor meat trucks everywhere by imposing their game on everyone.

"- no points for a made basket; the only way to get points is to grab a rebound, set a great screen or dive on a loose ball

- umpires are instructed to enforce a "no-layup" policy: if a meat truck in defence lets a layup past uncontested, he will be hit with a foul.

- Any meat truck who a) dribbles with their opposite hand b) shoots from outside the keyway or c) fails to sharpen their elbows on anyone cutting through the keyway will be ejected, on account of showing non ox-like tendencies."

Original Meat Ox Thread

Reply #38234 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Congrats dean- maybe he can help cayla so she gets to where she deserves to be!

Reply #38242 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

cayla would already be there if it wasnt for her attitude

Reply #38285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sure she just isn't still a bit young for the AIS? jealousy will get you nowhere!

Reply #38288 | Report this post

Years ago

attitude? the girl is fine- on and off court! she's going to the tute next year for sure.

Reply #38289 | Report this post

Freddy  
Years ago

Now he cant abuse rookie aba refs :P

Reply #38473 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:05 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754