Anon :)
Years ago

Isaac Humphries: BA Centre of Excellence (AIS)

According to Humphries' Twitter page, he's been selected to attend the new Basketball Australia Centre of Excellence. Joining Gerard Martin, Jock Perry and Abi Akintola who were already there. Harry Froling also tweeted that he'll be attending.

Who else do we think gets selected? Dejan? Clark? Wilson? Looks like the Aus U17 Team is the target

Humphries' potential is through the roof.. definitely the next big thing after Exum, Simmons and Bolden go pro.. NBA/Olympics on the horizon for this kid

Topic #33196 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Humphries really that good? (Never seen him play)

Surely Kyle Clark?

Will White?

So this team will compete in the SEABL?

Reply #446629 | Report this post

Years ago

Humphries is legit. At only 15, he's extremely skilled for a 7 footer

And that's the way it looks, a solid team to compete in SEABL

Reply #446630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When will the COE team officially be announced?

Reply #446633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Humphries is not great yet. He is big and they don't develop until later in life. Froling is legit. Clark is falling off the radar a bit lately.

Reply #446681 | Report this post

Years ago

Humphries is 7 foot, Froling is 6'8. Humphries also started for that U17 team while Froling got limited minutes
Not taking anything away from Froling, he's a great player. But not at Humphries' level.
As far as I know, out of the new crop of AIS athletes selected for next year, Humphries was the only one who didn't have to trial, all of the other athletes trialed for their place. Humphries was immediately offered a place with no trial. That's saying something!

Reply #446684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because he was the only 7fter? Close to the only centre in that team

Froling is a 6-8 3/4 and was the youngest there with other, older guys ahead of him

Reply #446690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sop Humphries got a spot without applying? :)

Reply #446715 | Report this post

Years ago

Yes ^^

Reply #446734 | Report this post

Years ago

All of the others trialed for the remaining spots

Reply #446735 | Report this post

Alpha  
Years ago

So what you are saying if some names don't appear on the list of recipients it should be assumed they did not make it?

As far as I know the visit was organized around introducing a new BA CoE structure with the main aim to attract the prospective scholarship recipients to accept the offer. For example Wilson has been also offered an AIS/AFL scholarship. Will White is probably in a similar position. To my knowledge they were both there ... whether they will accept the BA offer, we'll see.

If Perry keeps working hard (legit 7 footer), with Humphries (hopefully 7 footer soon) and Akintola, the U17 team is looking good. Froling will need to work hard on his inside game, but he is still young so plenty of time.

Reply #446851 | Report this post

Years ago

Humphries is 7 foot. Perry is a good 7'1. So that's just a solid frontcourt. Humphries game is more refined than Perry's, regardless both will improve immensley under Lemanis and Longley down in Canberra.

Looks like Will White is very focused on his AFL prospects, which make it doubtful he'll join the AIS. Not sure about Wilson

Reply #446863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How about Kyle Clark?

Is Lemanis confirmed as the head coach of the COE?

Reply #446875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No way that Humphries is 7 foot.

At u17 Aus vs NZ games he was 6"10 max. Don't get me wrong - he is seriously talented, and may get to be a footer for sure. Be a great season for him playing against men - if he can stay healthy despite the physicality he will meet. I didnt perceive him as a "banger" big either, more a finesse post player, which is exciting.

Froling is a stretch 4 at 6"8 and 16 - that's exciting. Hopefully that jumper starts dropping for him - hurt him vs NZ that he wasn't shooting it well. He & Humphries are exciting prospects!

Perry can't go at the moment - wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't make the U17 team for the Worlds. A kid originally from Warragul, now playing at Knox big-boy'd him during a practice match and has gone past him, absolutely. I can only presume that Jock made the team for the series vs NZ based on the fact that he was at the AIS, and that the country lad missed Vic Country selection (behind Jock Landale who just signed at St. Mary's). At camp they must have split the chocolates, hence Jock P's selection. He is obviously still developing, and may end up being a good player long-term, but right now isn't a back-up C.

Word is that Vasiljevic will also be playing SEABL for the CoE team.

Clark might appear to be falling off the radar, but I would say this is more due to him having moved into the u19s age-group and there hasn't been much for them recently at a national level. Be great to see him play SEABL - he goes alright in the Tassie State League I'm told (although I have done no research into that so am happy to be corrected).

Dreaming if you think the CoE team will compete immediately at a SEABL level - most of the names here are between 15-18 years old! Learning experience for them will be awesome & development of skills under the coaches will be unreal though.

Reply #446882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clark still in 18s next year and mix for 2014 17 worlds.I recon he has been caught up in all that Tas bball change.

Reply #446885 | Report this post

CHOOK  
Years ago

Jock Londale wasn't picked in the Country Vic team ahead of Molloy (the athlete from Warragul your referring to) Londale was in the u20s age group this year, Molloy was bottom age U18s

Reply #446886 | Report this post

Years ago

Humphries is 7 foot! Adidas nations and his school have listed him as 7 foot so we'll go by those numbers. He's definitely a finesse big, only 15 so his development is exciting.

I assume Perry made the U17 team because of his height, he's 7'1. That's quite useful

Reply #446894 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Vasiljevic is headed to CoE too.
Michael Luxford has turned his back in hoops and is with AFL cats

Reply #446958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Under 18 Nationals in Canberra in April 2014 will be well worth a look, with these athletes and more all playing against one another.

Top 4 teams from two years ago were Vic Met, Qld South, Vic Country and Tassie.

It will be very interesting to see if these teams will remain in the top 4 and in which positions?

Reply #447056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

May be some confusion by some regarding Jock Perry and Jock Landale. Perry is 16 and at the AIS while Landale is 19 and has the scholarship to St Mary's.

Two different Jock's!

Reply #447067 | Report this post

GuesswhosBACK  
Years ago

LOL. who names a kid 'jock'

Reply #447068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like my research was outdated, my apologies. Thanks for that CHOOK & Anon :).

Exciting that Clark is still that age group - that kid can go!

Reply #447073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tanner Krebs is in from Tas!

Reply #447075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sam Mackinnon coached against Humphries this year and describes him as 6'10-6'11.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/basketball/slamming-sam-mackinnon-takes-first-coaching-steps/story-fni2u9cl-1226677299448

Reply #447088 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Sam McKinnon coached a talented group and from what I observed, he is a level headed coach with lots of positive things to say to his kids. He got the best out of that group, individually and as a team.

Isaac isn't quite 7 feet tall, nearly 6' 11' on court though, great kid!

Reply #447089 | Report this post

commonsense  
Years ago

@ guesswhosBACK/youknowME do you even think before you post. "LOL who names a kid Jock" good one fool. How long until you get asked to take a break from hoops.com again fool? some of those Sudanese names are funny right.

Reply #447091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AUS camp names are out. Are there any surprises who are going.One name I have not seen is Deng Gek in 17s any info on him?

Reply #447096 | Report this post

Phobos 15  
Years ago

Deng Gak - I have coached against him and he's a very very surprising selection. From Blacktown area of Sydney. I believe missed U16 Nationals in Adelaide with injury. From what I have seen, he's tall (not sure of exact height) but lacks the skill level at the moment to compete at next level. Also fairly immobile and defence is limited to taking swats at the ball attempting to block shots. Certainly not someone I would have picked but who knows how he'll go down there. Good luck to him

Reply #447165 | Report this post

Whodat  
Years ago

Rumour around the grape vine is Tanner Krebs has accepted a scholarship to the COE. Not sure if it's true but it wouldn't surprise me. He is a very talented player with great potential.

Reply #447182 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would Krebs go to the CoE when he will got to college in the US in another year?

Reply #447190 | Report this post

T  
Years ago

Refer Schueller thread.
When are the C of E scholarships gonna be announced by the way?

Reply #448552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

any good sa metro boys from u16s nationals this year?

Reply #450083 | Report this post

Phobus  
Years ago

WhoDat, why does every comment you ever have talk up Takner Krebs? Everyone knows you have potential Tanner but there's no need to boast about yourself!

Reply #450091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Krebs can shoot D nah

Reply #450161 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:36 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754