Isaac
Years ago

Funny Farley agrees to terms, returns to 36ERS

Just received this press release:

The Pura Milk Sixers are excited to announce that Willie Farley today confirmed he has accepted the club's offer and will suit for the Sixers this season.

Farley's agent sent through confirmation at 2pm today that Willie has accepted the offer of a two year contract with a further one year option.

Farley and his family will arrive back in Australia in time for pre-season training.
As no doubt every Sixers staffer and fan is saying, "Finally!"

Roster now looks to be:

Maher
Farley/Hill
Holmes/Forman
Rychart/Nash
Cooper

Topic #3320 | Report this topic

Stephon  
Years ago

Great news!

Also good to hear that Farley has been signed long term giving the 36ers some much needed stability.

Am also pleased that admin have the presence of mind to provide this information to Isaac in a timely fashion so the fans are up to date with what is happening.

I think we are all glad that the negotiations are over.

Maher, Farley and Hill backcourt is definitely one of the best in the league.

Reply #38208 | Report this post

ShutUp!!  
Years ago

Great news, might even look at renewing my season tickets now.

So I assuming we only have enough funds left for 9 & 10 te be minimum level development players? So I guess for the 4th Guard spot it is likely to be out of Gerlach, Watson or Wood (US College maybe?) and Gower or Hambour for the back-up Forward role. Which means unfortunately for him that Oscar may well be the back up 5 to Cooper as well as the 3 to Jacob. Will be a very tough ask against teams like Brisbane.

Reply #38209 | Report this post

McNasty  
Years ago

Hopefully Reesy agrees to play for the minimum as well as time off to run his business to come in as the back up 5 man.

I thought Oscar would be the back up 4 and Nash the back up 3 Isaac. Or have you got some inside info we don't know about?

That would mean that we only need a back up 1 man. Can Watson be effective if he isn't a shooter? Hill will probably swing between both guard spots.

Reply #38211 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

The Farley sigining is great news!
But lets not overthink what sort of player the team still needs.

Sixers run a style of game where anyone can carry the ball, therefore i dont think it would be crucial to go after a '1' man. We have Farley-Maher-Hill-Holmes-Nash who could all carry the ball, i think it is much more crucial to find a back-up big man (or two!)

What was the Truslove story? Would he be an option, or is he signed elsewhere? certianly hambour and rees are other options, but would Rees play for minimum wage and would sixers keep 'developing' Hambour?

Could we entice Pero back with some fringe benefits of a Part-time job with Villis?

Who else is out there? Any returing college players we could snap up cheap (Schenser (sp?) would be well out of our reach, you'd think)?

Reply #38214 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

McNasty, Oscar last year came in for Holmes and played more of an outside game. He's been scoring a lot of his points from outside the three point line or near to it in the ABL this season and I don't expect that strength to change. I think that where he plays will depend on the strength of the opposition. Realistically, it doesn't matter that much, but I think that's where he seems more comfortable to me (my personal inexperienced* assessment and nothing more).

*I can build a website and I can type, but I don't play and I don't coach. I just beat Oscar (and Cooper) at fantasy hoops (just rubbing it in).

Reply #38221 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

speaking of which, any idea on when the NBL will open up their fantasy hoops?

Reply #38223 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I guess when the season starts. The one that they ran last year wasn't too bad. A few of us here had a league running.

Reply #38228 | Report this post

Ryan  
Years ago

I don't honestly think another guard will make the primary ten-man team. Gerlach or Watson will get to dress for home games as development players, but with Maher and Farley starting, and Hill relieving at both guard spots there will be no real need for another guard, especially when Nash and Holmes are adequate ball handlers, and Nash has demonstrated that he is quite capable of defending the opposition point guard.

The last two spots should go to frontcourt players, and while i'd love to see Truslove, it will be Hambour and Gower. They are going to have to PLAY Hambour this time around though, as Oscar has proven that he is not big enough to play the backup five (and he had a great year facing the basket last season).

Reply #38246 | Report this post

FLY  
Years ago

WOO HOO

Reply #38249 | Report this post

McNasty  
Years ago

Agreed Isaac,

But in the 6ers system. Their 4 man really is a step out and shoot player rather than a back to the basket. Agreed that he will probably be used as a mix and match depending on match ups.

Reply #38253 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Lato mentioned today in teh Advertiser that Phil is keen to re-suit Reesy. Making us a swingman short of a championship team, IMO. Well 2nd to Brisbane anyway.

Reply #38337 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Brisbane is a different team this year. We have to wait and see how they gel together. They have so many good players that they could in effect cancel each other's performance. The Sixers team is slightly stronger than last season even though we are playing the same team. There is the experience and continued practice that the 3 NZ boys have had, particularly Jacob who has had an outstanding season in New Zealand. Hopefully he will bring his game back home. Then there's Nash who we didn't have last season and could be a real asset to the team. That in itself adds some extra strength to the team. There is also the realisation of what can happen in the playoffs after last season's game against Brisbane. The team will be better prepared for that as they now know the threat is a reality. We weren't far off the top of the ladder last season, just the added development of various players, the addition of Nash and Rees hopefully this season could be enough to clinch the top honours.

Reply #38396 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

good call EC

just because brisbane have a team of stars doesnt mean they will be a star team

Reply #38405 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:15 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754