Tomcat
Years ago

Can the 36ers win the championship with this team?

Maher
Farley/Hill
Holmes/Forman
Rychart/Nash
Cooper

Topic #3321 | Report this topic

Stephon  
Years ago

Yes, but only if we stay healthy.

Maher, Farley and Rychart are as good as any other players in the league at their respective positions.

We have good role players such as Cooper and Nash, as well as good young talent in Holmes, Forman and Hill. If we can get say Rees back as back-up centre then we will be pretty good.

We proved we could beat the Kings last season and I'm sure we can do it again this year.

Lots of good teams around the league but we can definitely compete with all of them and I don't see anyone that is unbeatable.

Brisbane are the best team on paper but whether they live up to expectations remains to be seen.

Reply #38218 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

IMO the team is similar in style to that of the Spurs at the moment.

No back to the basket players and lots of run and gun type guards and forwards with out a traditional 5 type player.

Most players on the squad sans Coop and maybe Oscar are adequate to get the ball up the floor.

The key for this teams success will be its mobility....run Bradtke and Brannen into the floor with quick transition which this team has by the truck load and see what happens.

Should be exciting fastbreak style basketball this year.

Reply #38219 | Report this post

Satish Dogra  
Years ago

I agree KB that the Sixers don't have many back to the basket players but I'd have to say the Spurs have a semi-decent one in Duncan.

Reply #38222 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

And then there's the coaching staff - arguably the best in the league.
They steered the team last season to wins over all top four teams, unfortunately blemishing the record with that last game 'loss' to Cairns.

Reply #38244 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

They need Rees. If they go without a centre to backup Cooper, they're stuffed.

Reply #38256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

short answer "No"

Reply #38278 | Report this post

FLY  
Years ago

If we can get a half-decent big man then YES. If not - sorry.

Reply #38283 | Report this post

FLY  
Years ago

*another half-decent big man
(sorry Coops/ Rychart)

(Mod: Nice save. Dusty reads this site and I wouldn't be surprised if Cooper does too. No need to go pissing our only big men off! :P)

Reply #38284 | Report this post

cat no go  
Years ago

have the sixers even bothered to speak with Paul Rogers yet. Considering he has just bought a house in Adelaide and a good chance not to go back to Spain. Dont be surprised if he ends up at a NBL team this season, hopefully its here in Adelaide. Add Rogers to the sixers and theres your championship team.

Reply #38308 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Does he want to play for $21k, less tax, less health insurance, less superannuation, etc?

If so, great.

If not, well, that's all we've got!

Reply #38310 | Report this post

cat no go  
Years ago

well then what weve got is not going to be good enough. I suppose theres no point in the sixers having a legit post man because all they do is jack up 3s. Adelaides no post game is so predictable and gets shut down when teams do a great job of guarding the perimeter.

Reply #38312 | Report this post

Mix Master Wipe  
Years ago

Paul Rees should tell the club to get f****d!!!
Much respect to the big man if he plays this season.The club has told him to get lost twice! now they want him back, again!

Reply #38372 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

it wasnt the club who told him to go it was infact the coaches who said he wasnt required at present and it was ree's who wanted a decision early so he could concerntrate on his business , the coaches infact at the time said u would still be in our thinkings but in respect to pauls request to know what was happening 5pm in late march the coaches where honest and told him so,

so please stop blamming everything on management or the club maybe stop and think for a secound at least try to find out what happened in the back ground before throwing shit at people

Reply #38402 | Report this post

Mix Master Wipe  
Years ago

(Mod: This post is not available.)

Reply #38406 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I also heard that it was Rees himself who gave the club an ultimatum. Sure you can't support a family on $21K but if he is concentrating on his business and the club can accommodate that, then it would be extra pocket money for him to play again this season. It also keeps him in touch witht he NBL if he is not ready to completely retire. I can see benefits for both sides here.

Reply #38419 | Report this post

statue of liberty  
Years ago

lol is it just me or do we have the same team every season bar 1 player and everyone asks can we win it this year!

I dunno if its just me but that line up looks FAIRLY similar to last season, and we should have won last season. So now that Brisbane are even stronger this year and we are the same, id say... no.

Get stiffy back so i can wear my top >_

Reply #38420 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Same with me, statue of liberty. Re-sign Darnell Mee. His singlet is collecting cobwebs in my cupboard!

Reply #38425 | Report this post

genna  
Years ago

With the 6'ers having the same core group of players as previous years, they should improve on last season's performance. They know each other's style of game more now, which should cause them to gel better than last season. Hopefully they do improve on 04/05's performance. Time will tell whether or not this team is going to win another championship... im keeping my fingers crossed!

Reply #38427 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

im a joke ? they wrote the report ? hmmm as EC has eluded it was rees who made the ultimatium and it was brehny who told him at this stage he was not required and as for me being brainwashed u idiot, im still as critical as every but at least now i research my disputed before flaming shit every where and as for the report it was written by STEPHON and ME and had NO editing or changing from ADMIN

pull ya finger out for once in your life

Reply #38445 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

if it makes you feel important by flaming me on this forum and the sixers one so be it

but how bout being a man about it and contacting me directly hey

[email protected]

or ringing me

instead of writing utter BS about things you dont have a clue about

and FYI if you reckon i was the clubs biggest hatter and now spokes person your a fool

i was never the biggest hatter i just expressed my views on certain issues that where pissing me off and now that i expressed a couple views on things i think the club should be shown some slack for or even praise for you make personall digs at me and say im the new spokeperson and brainwashed

i even credit bongograin on the new look website and i get cut down by you

i guess theres no pleasing you

Reply #38448 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Why can't people have an opinion on this forum and not get cut down by people who may not agree. By all means post your opinion but have respect for others opinions as well. No one is privy to the full facts so everyone forms an opinion from what they see and hear. Paul Rees himself spoke on the talking hoops program a couple of months ago and said he had set a date for the club to give him an answer. At that stage the team had barely been put together and there was no way of putting in place a definite contract for him. Priority and the best possible contract had to be given to the top 3 players. There is a place for Rees on the team next season, there just isn't enough money left.

Reply #38455 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

Thomo is correct.

Rees even went on Talking Hoops radio show and said he was going the give the 36ers an ultimatum as to whether they wanted him for next season.

We were told the 36ers coaching staff (not admin who don't decide who is on the playing roster) were honest with him at that stage of the off-season and he was told that they could not offer him a contract at that stage.

I believe he was told that depending on other signings then a spot might open up but only with a minimum type salary available.

In today's Sunday Mail it reports that Rees will sign this week with the 36ers. If this is true that is great news and further evidence of what an unselfish and great club man that Rees is.

However, you can't be angry with the coaches for being honest with Rees at the time he wanted an answer.

If Farley hadn't signed and we went after a big man import then a spot wouldn't have been open for him. Similarly if Maher had left and we used his salary to go after a free agent big man then again we probably wouldn't have room for Rees.

This is not pro 36ers management propaganda but a reality. I'm sure we all would have done the same thing and kept our options open if we were in Smyth or Breheney's shoes. I'm sure Rees also understands this or else he wouldn't contemplate returning to the 36ers.

Also, to the posters who are unhappy with our line-up at present because it is the same as last year I'm interested in what changes you would have made (and please no Bradtke for Rees type trades).

I would have liked us to secure some front court assistance for Dusty and Cooper but at whose expense?

Maher, Farley and Rychart were all untouchable in my opinion.

I wouldn't have dropped any of the young guys in Holmes, Forman and Hill (too much potential and they all started careers in Adelaide meaning they will never be higher than 5 point players even if Boomers).

Cooper obviously deserved his spot also.

That is 7 guys just there that I think are no-brainers to return.

Even if we cut someone like Holmes it wasn't like it would have given us the cap space or points space to sign Cat or Saville.

That leaves 3 roster spots.

I would have tried to use Nash, Rees and Ng's salaries to sign a free-agent big man such as Moore or Hinder with a couple of rookies to complete the roster.

However, the way Nash is playing in the SEABL seems to indicate that the coaching staff's decision to keep him will be a good one and Rees still is one of the smartest big men going around and I certainly won't be disappointed to see him continue his career.

Reply #38456 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

But does "we can't offer you a contract right now, but something might come up later" equate to "Club farewells Rees" as an official media release on their site? Seems like a bit of miscommunication there.

Reply #38538 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:40 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754