AmazingGrace
Years ago

James Crawford lives on

It was great to see the great james crawford back in perth on sunday and deservedly receiving hall of fame status. It brought back memories of how damn easy he made things look on the court. And i must admit i took him for granted as a kid because he wasn't as spectacular to me as maybe a tiny pinder was. But thats purely because it looked effortless for him to elevate so high and place the ball through the hoop with two hands. Another thing that i remember about him is the way he used to bank his jumper off the glass with regularity. Usually about fifteen foot out on the 45 angle and he rarely missed.
My question is what would be the purpose of shooting a jump shot off the glass. Is it for a softer touch on the rim? Maybe to change the angle of the shot to avoid being rejected? Im sure JC never had that to worry about.
I'd be interested to hear anyone's thoughts as to why dont we see it these days? Is it perhaps gone the way of the drop punt in AFL being the more accurate and preferred method.

Topic #33220 | Report this topic

Gordon Liddy  
Years ago

Mark Davis at the line...two shots.

Reply #447174 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

Well remember that JC is what 202cms and was on the big 7 footers so he was giving up about 6 inches in some cases so he developed a shot that could beat his opponent when the opportunity arose.

I won't say it's a lost artform as I can't recall a great many other players emulating him before, during or after

Reply #447180 | Report this post

AmazingGrace  
Years ago

Yes good point proud he was playing out of position most of his career at center. I did see it quite a bit in the NBA also but perhaps for the same reason that the player was being guarded by a bigger opponent

Reply #447204 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I'm pretty sure Steve Carfino said that the Redhage/Petrie match-up reminded him of the Crawford/Davis match-up.

#didntbringit

Reply #447206 | Report this post

Woody Venkat  
Years ago

I honestly thought James Crawford had settled in Perth and was living there now didn't realsie he went back to the USA at all.

Reply #447239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because he can

Reply #447283 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Yeah Woody, he left a few years ago. For realsie.

Reply #447296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apart from the banked jumpshot he also had another trademark move in the form of using the rim as a springboard to let go of the rim on a dunk. It was like he would release his grip with a spring action to return to the ground.

Reply #447465 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

I used to love emulating his free throw as a kid!

Reply #447489 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:18 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754