Anonymous
Years ago

Why isn't the NBA on FTA TV?

Considering NBA League pass is so popular in Australia, surely it would rate on ONE?

Even one game a week would be nice.

Topic #33240 | Report this topic

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

NBA charge alot of money for licensing fees!

Reply #447545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry, what exactly does that mean?

Reply #447547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it means that the NBA charge shit loads for the rights to broadcast and none of the FTA stations want or can pay for it.

Reply #447553 | Report this post

Andrew K  
Years ago

Even for week-old games? Or just for live or recent games? I wouldn't mind seeing a game that was a week old.

Reply #447556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea its a pity its seen to be too expensive/not worth it by FTA TV, as i also would love to see it on FTA in some form.

2 viable alternatives to watch NBA at low cost are

League Pass not ridiculously expensive these days, costs around $200, but can get deals along the way to get it cheaper.

Torrents are another way, there are sites that you can download for free ie www.davka.bt (i think thats the address off the top of my head) and see most of the top games, also sites like sports-scene where you need membership and keep up upload rates/make donations if you can get someone to give you an invite. There are heaps of sites you can download NBA games from in a variety of ways, but be a bit careful some of them can be a it funny. The 2 i have mentioned i have used and havnt had trouble with.

Reply #447561 | Report this post

Jeff  
Years ago

Simple commercial/marketing reasons. If you play it on "FREE"
to air TV it decreases the value of your "PAID" league pass.

Reply #447566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea i spose thats why the NBA would charge FTA networks so much for the rights as they would lose alot of subscribers to league pass.

Reply #447567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Subscription market is small. Pretty simply the networks dont think the NBA rates well enough to justify the rights fee.

Reply #447580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Andrew K, why dont you simply download them ? they are nearly all on torrent sites withing 12 hrs of being played.

Reply #447584 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Subscription market is small? Australia has the biggest in the world!

Reply #447593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Biggest of a small market.

Reply #447594 | Report this post

Andrew K  
Years ago

I do download them Anon, I was just trying to be politically correct :)
I don't think they'd lose too many subscribers to League Pass if they only showed one FTA game a week.

Reply #447601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Over a billion dollars revenue is small?

Reply #447604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Almost all of it in the US.

Reply #447609 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBA was briefly on Ten/One a few years ago for a couple of seasons but Ten got rid of it because the poor ratings didn't justify the licensing fees.

It was the same reason they got rid of the NCAA after only one season too.

Reply #447611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many times do i have to say it if you want to watch live nba games every day go to viplivebox.eu

Reply #447616 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

'616, the question wasn't "Where can I watch games for free", but about why the NBA isn't on FTA. Completely different discussion.

Reply #447624 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

Not enough eyeballs on the screen if they show a live game on Thursday mornings for example then the advertising would have to be substantially more than for anything none prime time.

Would the advertisers think its worth it?

I'm not sure we will have free to air NBA games again unless they try to show playoffs

Reply #447671 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:45 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754